Mega Thread 2017 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Channel 7 just spent 20 minutes of the first 40 minutes of the bulletin on a team that won an elimination final.
SMDH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"They're calling it the greatest final ever played." Barra on point tonight. :drunk:

The one good thing about the ludicrous coverage we're in for this week is the inevitable overinflation of supporters' expectations ahead of what'll basically be a training run for the Giants.

"They're calling it the greatest final ever played." Barra on point tonight. :drunk:

The one good thing about the ludicrous coverage we're in for this week is the inevitable overinflation of supporters' expectations ahead of what'll basically be a training run for the Giants.
Barra's been using the AFL's ruling that the call was legitimate like some sort of golden ticket. As if they were ever going to say anything else.

To be fair it was an absolutely cracking game of footy.

What shows do you watch? On the couch is alright (Brown is a flog). VFL 360 is the definition of s**t.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
OTC, finally pretty much gave up on 360 this year, will only watch again if they change 1 or even better both of the hosts.

Have you seen today's West Coast Australian?

They are calling them heroes for not only scraping into the finals by default, but for also putting their old and aging bodies on the line to win an elimination final.

Then on the comics page they talk about bringing Wellingham and Masten in as "fresh legs." :drunk:

Channel 7 just spent 20 minutes of the first 40 minutes of the bulletin on a team that won an elimination final.
SMDH

I saw it too, the resounding smug from Barra et al. was palpable. And to boot, they're interviewing 2 players every weeknight this week. No doubt to get their thoughts on the cracking game and how they plan on winning this weekend where the state will be behind them. :drunk::thumbsu:

Did lol at a commemorative poster being included in the West today. Overhype levels set to max.

Now they're a proven premiership force again surely eagles fans will accept nothing less than another top-up over the preseason to take that last step. Since they're so close they surely have to trade out their first pick again for a 28 year old, anything else would just be accepting mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SMDH

Masterful, really. They're trying to cover up the fact that WC were actually competing for the flag this year, given their age-profile and mature recruits, and are almost a certainty to fall well short of that goal. Great win, but if I was a WC fan seeing all this hoo-ha I'd be a bit concerned over what seems to be a "mission accomplished" mentality. I'd be seriously doubting whether they can get up emotionally for this weekend, let alone physically.

The Game lift out only just touched on how Peel have single handedly ruined the integrity of the WAFL finals. How unfair it is to have up to 15 AFL listed players playing. Blah blah blah. I expect it will go into overdrive next week, during the build up to the WAFL GF, especially if Eagles are knocked out of AFL finals by GWS. God I love the predictability of the media - can set your watch to it!

The Game lift out only just touched on how Peel have single handedly ruined the integrity of the WAFL finals. How unfair it is to have up to 15 AFL listed players playing. Blah blah blah. I expect it will go into overdrive next week, during the build up to the WAFL GF, especially if Eagles are knocked out of AFL finals by GWS. God I love the predictability of the media - can set your watch to it!

I sent an email to John Townsend yesterday pointing out the fact that East Perth played up to 15 Eagles players all year in the seniors, plus they had 2 players constantly playing in the reserves as well, yet no one is mentioning anything about it because East Perth completely missed the finals thanks to losing to Perth and Subiaco with 14 and 15 listed players in the last two rounds.

Yet we are the team that is getting all heat because we played to the rules. If East Perth was still alive they could have got games into Naitanui by now and had him ready for possibly making a prelim final.

Of course no response from John.

I sent an email to John Townsend yesterday pointing out the fact that East Perth played up to 15 Eagles players all year in the seniors, plus they had 2 players constantly playing in the reserves as well, yet no one is mentioning anything about it because East Perth completely missed the finals thanks to losing to Perth and Subiaco with 14 and 15 listed players in the last two rounds.

Yet we are the team that is getting all heat because we played to the rules. If East Perth was still alive they could have got games into Naitanui by now and had him ready for possibly making a prelim final.

Of course no response from John.

Townsend's argument measuring the strength of the Subiaco/Peel squads using the WAFL points system (3 times better) and salary cap (10 times better) in that column is pathetic

Recently when he was writing stuff about players who make up AFL squads not being anywhere near the ability of WAFL players. This was after Ross Lyon mentioned a VFL Forward (Nick Saunter) who never made it to AFL level at a press conference in response to a question about whether Taberner should get a game. Townsend viewed the comparison as disrespecting the WAFL. He went on to write:

"Sautner never played an AFL match, quite possibly strengthening Lyon’s contention that he was not capable of doing so. Yet what does Lyon make of Tom Lamb or Casey Sibosado or Craig Moller or Martin Whitelaw or Clayton Collard? Each of those players appeared in the AFL – all but Eagle Lamb for the Dockers – yet would anyone seriously consider them better footballers than Sautner? They might not come close to Tim Kelly or Haiden Schloithe or Jye Bolton or Ben Saunders or Blaine Johnson or Ryan either and none of them has played AFL
."

Reality is AFL squads are made up of players who are speculative picks who will never make it. As an example, every year you see lists of potential WA draftees and a couple of years later they are playing in the WAFL reserves.

Last edited:
From memory Lyon was trying to explain why WAFL stats didn't translate to AFL and used Nick Sautner as an illustration.
The journos were putting the same argument that's trotted out on here ad infinitum...Tabs is this!!..has done that!!..why isn't he picked!!..etc
Sautner must have been a freak.I've never seen him play but he kicked absolutely shedloads of goals and I don't think he ever played a VFL game??

Did lol at a commemorative poster being included in the West today. Overhype levels set to max.

Now they're a proven premiership force again surely eagles fans will accept nothing less than another top-up over the preseason to take that last step. Since they're so close they surely have to trade out their first pick again for a 28 year old, anything else would just be accepting mediocrity.
This is exactly what I am hoping for......I want them to get to a couple of kicks from a GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back