Bluemour Discussion Thread VI (cont. in Part VII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/fcdc5afc9a38f1103c05265bf584cca5

PORT Adelaide will have to up the ante in their flirtation with Tom Rockliff. The biggest free-agent in the game has still not accepted Brisbane’s offer and the Lions are starting to resign themselves to losing their former captain. They will not enter a bidding war so the ball is definitely in Rockliff’s court. Port have been the 2014 All Australian’s major suitor. However, Carlton have entered the game in recent days.

#Bluemour

Wouldn't mind him if Gibbs were to leave.

Although I don't think he'd want to play for us. He'll either go to a contender or stay in Brisbane.

Wouldn't mind him if Gibbs were to leave.

Although I don't think he'd want to play for us. He'll either go to a contender or stay in Brisbane.
No dickheads policy. Wrong age profile. Was it Rockliff who bagged the 4 Brisbane players who left that toxic culture, including Docherty?

But Carlton should muddy the water a little by speaking to Rockliff so that Port and Adelaide need to work harder to get Gibbs.

Rockliff makes sense, especially if we lose Gibbs, would then allow us to perhaps get Kelly as well as having an early draft presence.

SOS is a smart boy. He wont be looking for list cloggers like Rockliff & Young or complete tools like Stringer unless he has done his due diligence. I also think that SOS will be saying yes to everything at this stage. Why deny or say no to anything at this stage? Keep them guessing. Make them make the plays whilst quietly working on the best players and options.

Reel em in SOS!

TA

Last edited:
All for picking up rocky, he's a gun at winning clearances and I'm sure Cripps would like the help. Pick him up regardless of whether Gibbs leaves or not. Bolts won't take any s**t anyway so I don't think the no dick heads stuff really matters... if he comes in to a new club and starts rubbing people the wrong way he'll be in the vfl.

Hoping he stays. A bidding war could potentially trigger band-1 compensation for the Lions, pushing our 1st back to #4. The Lions board certainly seem to think this will be the case if he leaves.
No one's paying Rockliff 800k+, will be a end of first round or 2nd round compensation.

I'm starting to believe this 'smoke screen' story and I think Kelly will come to us.

I mean think about it, GWS are a pack of 'swinging dicks' without a soul. A team of individual champions with no club history, nothing to play for (except maybe having their name in the inaugural Flag team), but they are thankless wins. No-one up in Western Sydney gives a s**t about them and it's no wonder they want to come home. Sure the new draftees are stoked with the $$ they are on, and there is the lure of big cash for the delisted past champs, but that won't last. The AFL cannot prop them up forever.

Compare that to the team who has a proud history but unfortunately been languishing around on the bottom of the ladder for 20 odd years.
Now they have got the right people in place and all of a sudden are seen as a destination club who are on the rise. Surely if not the fact that we beat GWS themselves, then the scenes of the rapture from the Navy Army when we broke the hoodoo against Hawthorn this year. I honestly thought the stands above me might break loose from all the stamping and cheering.

Combine Big $$ and a team that's going places with a supporter base that loves them, I know where I'd want to play.

LOL..Outstanding !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All for picking up rocky, he's a gun at winning clearances and I'm sure Cripps would like the help. Pick him up regardless of whether Gibbs leaves or not. Bolts won't take any s**t anyway so I don't think the no dick heads stuff really matters... if he comes in to a new club and starts rubbing people the wrong way he'll be in the vfl.

Agree since we have the salary cap room and if we feel he's matured which has been suggested.

With the rapid improvement we've seen in our team, adding Kelly and Rockliff would be amazing for our midfield and all things going well, could propel us into finals next year and possibly top 4 contenders as early as 2019 while Murphy is still around.

We probably lost 5-6 games this year simply by the kids tiring in the last quarter...another pre-season into those kids and add 2 mature, gun mids and we'd win those games.

Kreuzer, Murphy, Gibbs, Kelly, Cripps, Rockliff, Curnow, SPS, Fisher, Cuningham...with guys like Boek, Thomas and Kerridge on the fringe.
Suddenly we'd have a very strong and mature starting 6, with 3 promising kids in support.

Wrong age profile.

We're not trading for him.

The club hasn't ruled out bringing in a free agent - in fact they've done the exact opposite and openly admitted we're on the lookout for more experience.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-03/blues-will-only-trade-top-pick-for-elite-youth.mobileapp

But Trigg said the second half of 2017 had shown Carlton had to balance its pursuit of gilt-edged youth with more readymade recruits, particularly in the midfield.

"We do need to go to the draft again but we do need at the same time to find just a bit more maturity when we're tested for depth, particularly in the midfield at the moment – and that's the balancing act we've got to get right in this upcoming draft and exchange period," Trigg said.

"Right at the moment with Cripps and Ed Curnow out, our two experienced midfielders have had to carry a really, really heavy load. We just have to find some more support for them with mature talent in the exchange period."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-03/blues-will-only-trade-top-pick-for-elite-youth.mobileapp

We're actively looking for mature bodies to rotate through the midfield, and Rockliff is as good an option as any given his status as a free agent. Very good footballer and I reckon we could go close to getting 100 games out of him with his body being the only slight concern there.

He's had some issues over the past few years but from all reports really knuckled down in 2017 and put it all behind him. If we're confident he's not going to be a disruptive influence then going after him is an absolute no-brainer IMO.

If Docherty is okay with it - i'd pick him up for sure.

Love that post FBI ..... I would take Rockcliff in a heart beat ... but the playing group MUSt want it.

We're not trading for him.

The club hasn't ruled out bringing in a free agent - in fact they've done the exact opposite and openly admitted we're on the lookout for more experience.

We're actively looking for mature bodies to rotate through the midfield, and Rockliff is as good an option as any given his status as a free agent. Very good footballer and I reckon we could go close to getting 100 games out of him with his body being the only slight concern there.

He's had some issues over the past few years but from all reports really knuckled down in 2017 and put it all behind him. If we're confident he's not going to be a disruptive influence then going after him is an absolute no-brainer IMO.

Yes totally agree... He wont cost us anything being a free agent.. and will certainly add to our midfield depth. He actually did some tagging to good effect later this year so has learnt't how to run both ways.

Hoping he stays. A bidding war could potentially trigger band-1 compensation for the Lions, pushing our 1st back to #4. The Lions board certainly seem to think this will be the case if he leaves.

This only matters if we are going to the draft with #3.

Would supporters be open to losing Gibbs, #3, 2018 1st and picking up Kelly, Stringer and Rockliff via FA?

Love that post FBI ..... I would take Rockcliff in a heart beat ... but the playing group MUSt want it.

With all due respect - bullshit.

The playing list don't get veto rights on recruitment of players, that's entirely up to SOS as list manager.

If Rockliff shows enough maturity in an interview that the List Manager feels he can fit into the existing hierarchy, then an offer will be made. If his character doesn't gel, he won't. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back