Opinion Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested in your views on this in a bit more detail if you can be bothered.

I am a fan of Cutler, but I wonder a bit about where he fits in and who he displaces. He has some magnificent attributes and he doesn't lack for confidence, but I wonder where he fits in the pecking order now.

IIRC he started this year playing more on the wing and rotating onto the HFF. I would've said that probably puts him in the mix with McCluggage, Allison, Taylor, Bastinac and Cameron if he comes. Cox might be another in that discussion if he can stay more involved in the game. I'm also not sure how Fagan will use Christensen, but I've been operating on the assumption that he'll take Barrett's spot. To my mind, Cutler would have a difficult time dislodging more than one or two of those guys from the pecking order.

Or on the half-back line, Rich, Mayes and Witherden look pretty well settled. I'm not sure how much he played in the backline for the NEAFL either, though I stand to be corrected on this. Based on his B&F finish, I'm thinking the coaches see Gardiner as a best-22 fixture for a while yet. Nick Robertson might be a bit vulnerable, but if he plays like he did in the first half of 2017 then I probably stick with him for his superior attention to his defensive responsibilities. If there's any substance to the McKenna rumors, he's another one who would slot in ahead.

I personally think he'll probably be ahead of McCluggage and Allison in the short term and I think he's marginal with Bastinac. Depending on team balance and role, he's probably also got some chance of winning a spot over Robertson and Lester.

FB: Mayes, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Witherden, McStay, McKenna
C: McCluggage, Zorko, Berry
HF: Robinson, Hipwood, Cameron
FF: Christensen, Schache, Lester
Foll: McInerney, DBeams, Mathieson
Int: Taylor, Cox, Rich, Walker
Emergencies: CBeams, Keays, Bastinac, Allison

I'm interested in your views on this in a bit more detail if you can be bothered.

I am a fan of Cutler, but I wonder a bit about where he fits in and who he displaces. He has some magnificent attributes and he doesn't lack for confidence, but I wonder where he fits in the pecking order now.

IIRC he started this year playing more on the wing and rotating onto the HFF. I would've said that probably puts him in the mix with McCluggage, Allison, Taylor, Bastinac and Cameron if he comes. Cox might be another in that discussion if he can stay more involved in the game. I'm also not sure how Fagan will use Christensen, but I've been operating on the assumption that he'll take Barrett's spot. To my mind, Cutler would have a difficult time dislodging more than one or two of those guys from the pecking order.

Or on the half-back line, Rich, Mayes and Witherden look pretty well settled. I'm not sure how much he played in the backline for the NEAFL either, though I stand to be corrected on this. Based on his B&F finish, I'm thinking the coaches see Gardiner as a best-22 fixture for a while yet. Nick Robertson might be a bit vulnerable, but if he plays like he did in the first half of 2017 then I probably stick with him for his superior attention to his defensive responsibilities. If there's any substance to the McKenna rumors, he's another one who would slot in ahead.
In time I think they are looking at witherden on the ball, maybe not next year but not far away

FB: Gardiner, Andrews, Witherden
HB: Mayes, Mcstay, Rich
C: Bastinac, Zorko, Allison
HF: Lester, Walker, Robinson
F: Christensen, Hipwood, Taylor
R: Martin, Rockliff, DBeams
I/C: Close, Robertson, Berry, McCluggage

Been reading along for a while so decided to get involved. Doesn't take into account all the possible changes but I still have Close in ahead of Schache and co and I liked Allison on his wing in the last couple of games with ability to break lines with his toe and his penetration in his kicking. Apart from that pretty stock team I think

Been reading along for a while so decided to get involved. Doesn't take into account all the possible changes but I still have Close in ahead of Schache and co and I liked Allison on his wing in the last couple of games with ability to break lines with his toe and his penetration in his kicking. Apart from that pretty stock team I think

Welcome aboard Beastmode36 :thumbsu:

Welcome mate......no love for Mathieson?

Thanks Beastmode..........good team......wouldn't surprise me tho if Payne made it to fb round 1 next season.......looks ready made. McStay to the bench instead of Close. Also also very possible no Martin or Rockcliff so R: Archie or replacement trade, Berry, Beams. That way you can get the BEAST onto the bench!!!!!!

Thanks Beastmode..........good team......wouldn't surprise me tho if Payne made it to fb round 1 next season.......looks ready made. McStay to the bench instead of Close. Also also very possible no Martin or Rockcliff so R: Archie or replacement trade, Berry, Beams. That way you can get the BEAST onto the bench!!!!!!

I do think Payne looks good, can't see him playing round 1 personally, and definitely not starting over mcstay. Yes haven't taken possible trades into account but I hope if we do lose stef we are at least getting a ready made ruckman in the trade period as well so we aren't relying on Archie and mcinerny. Love the effort to get beast in the 22!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Struggled to pick a best 22. Especially with bundy n robbo to come back in. I really liked walker in the backline when he played there, seemed to be a bit of a steadying influence. I can also see berry n matho taking more ownership in the midfield, love their grunt. With rich in the back 6, zorko n beams in the middle, and robbo n basti up front, we do have a good spread of experience. Add withers, cox, clugg, hipwood, lewie taylor, allison, andrews, gardiner and barret ( yes barret, i like him). I do hope archie smith, keays n young corey lyon get a good run. I cant find regular spots for mcstay, cutler or schache, they are really going to have to work hard n fight for their positions. Thats a good thing for the team considering their talent. One thing i will say is that i dont think the new draftees will walk into the team like the last cpl of years. More competition for positions is great. And if rocky stays all the better. Add a cpl of trades and we are lookig at maybe 30 very capable first graders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just having a look through all the Highlight videos on the Lions homepage. Super excited about Keays. Still so young but he is having his apprenticeship in the reserves like a young player should. Reckon he will do it all: Midfield rotation, tackle, goal kicker and high accumulator (Rocky 2.0?)

Do feel like we are building our next geunine premiership side with Cox, Witherden, McCluggage, Berry, Keays, Hippy, Schache (hope he stays), Mayes, Andrews, Matho, Robertson, Skinner (hope he gets injury free), McStay, Cutler (feel he can be AA if he gets consistency and better work ethic), Taylor, Allison, pick 1 next draft.

With senior players like Robinson, christensen, Rocky, Zorko, Martin, Rich, Beams and Bastinac helping them all put and teaching them on-field. However, Beams and Zorko are just so damn good that l feel like we will be wasting their prime years if we are just continually stuck in the bottom. We need to take advantage of them and rise the ladder and not sure how we do that apart from just waiting until the younger guys come on.

Cutler needs to improve his contested ball winning ability and I think the rest of his game will come along in leaps and bounds. It really is a massive negative on his game at the moment IMO.
Big fan of Cutler especially his run(something we need badly) and damaging long kicks on goal. Areas I think he needs to work on are his overhead work... marking and to get some aggression into his spoiling technique.....a tad insipid in my eyes. Obviously the current hierarchy has given him things to work on but he hasnt quite mastered whatever by his non selection. Melbourne made a play for him last trade period.......I hope they don't return.

Maybe not 2018 but nice to think about

B gardiner, andrews, mayes
Hb withers, skinner, cox
C allison, clugg, robertson
Hf bundy, hipwood, taylor
F keays, schache, barrett
Foll smith, berry, matho
I/c big o, mcstay, cutler, lyons

Potential is a wonderful thing

FB: Mayes, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Witherden, McStay, Hodge
C: McCluggage, Zorko, Berry
HF: Robinson, Hipwood, Cameron
FF: Christensen, Schache/McInerney, Lester
Foll: Martin, DBeams, Mathieson
Int: Taylor, Cox, Rich, Walker
Emergencies: CBeams, Keays, Bastinac, Allison

Cutler needs to improve his contested ball winning ability and I think the rest of his game will come along in leaps and bounds. It really is a massive negative on his game at the moment IMO.
I think in a poor side he was gifted games he has talen coming out of his date but with new kids coming through I reckon he could be left behind real quick which shits me cause he has some real ability

Didn't Cutler win most professional player last year? 2017 was just a bad year. Had trouble adjusting to playing further up the field. I think long term he'll play on the wing similar to Isaac Smith.

Didn't Cutler win most professional player last year? 2017 was just a bad year. Had trouble adjusting to playing further up the field. I think long term he'll play on the wing similar to Isaac Smith.
Cutler one side, Allison the other with Rich in the centre. Witherden feeding it to them.

Gives us some real fast transition ability.

Cuts is a player who "our man hodgey'" should be able to help develop a bit quicker
I think that Cuts just needs to learn to lower his eyes when kicking out of defense, just kicks long and down the line 90% of the time. Still stuck in Leppas down the line game plan, which doesn't suit the Fagan's possession game plan of working your way through a defense with short precision passing. The way that Adelaide carved up Geelong last week.
I have confidence that he will get there.

I think that Cuts just needs to learn to lower his eyes when kicking out of defense, just kicks long and down the line 90% of the time. Still stuck in Leppas down the line game plan, which doesn't suit the Fagan's possession game plan of working your way through a defense with short precision passing. The way that Adelaide carved up Geelong last week.
I have confidence that he will get there.
Cuts is a good kick though some of his decisions are poor. Every confidence he bounces back next year

FB McStay Walker Rich
HB Mayes Andrews Hodge

M Zorko DBeams MCluggage
C Martin Rockcliff Mathieson

HF Berry Hipwood Robinson
FF Lester Schache Christensen

Cutler, Taylor, Gardiner, Robertson.
Haha i could be onto something. Post from early july. One change id make after his form lwter in the year is basti in matho out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back