Certified Legendary Thread Squiggle 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Port , a team that has struggled against top 8 sides playing a top 8 side
West Coast who suddenly become boys when getting into a plane

Playing in Adelaide West Coast at AO v Port 3-0

Draw
OMG genius

Traveling isnt the issue since they'll do it Thursday evening after the main training session. Off to the hotel, probably do a small recovery session in the pool then back to prep work.

Melb > Sydney on a long flight is max 1h15, +2 hours for check in and baggage, +1 hour for travel.

Wind up at their hotel at 630-7.

Possible that they take carry on and the club picks up their luggage later, then it's just a matter of 45 minutes before the flight.

Maybe it's because I'm a light sleeper myself, but I would have thought that the potential lack of decent sleep from staying in noisier hotels and unfamiliar beds would have much more of an effect on a players' performance than the few hours it takes to do the actual traveling? At least for the East Coast teams anyway.

Maybe it's because I'm a light sleeper myself, but I would have thought that the potential lack of decent sleep from staying in noisier hotels and unfamiliar beds would have much more of an effect on a players' performance than the few hours it takes to do the actual traveling? At least for the East Coast teams anyway.
COYN :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you whinging about a lopsided free kick count in a game you won?
Because it's not whinging? Swans have been on the wrong end of the two worst GF umpiring displays in recent memory.

Irrespective of the result you'd like to think that the umps can get it close to right in the biggest game of the year.

Because it's not whinging? Swans have been on the wrong end of the two worst GF umpiring displays in recent memory.

Irrespective of the result you'd like to think that the umps can get it close to right in the biggest game of the year.
Not a chance with Stevic and Nicholls

Because our free kick count is always lopsided. We demolished Essendon on the weekend and still lost the free kick count. According to the #bravedogs that ain't supposed to happen.
The free kick count is mostly lopsided because Sydney are a defence based side who frequently prioritise laying a tackle (or applying pressure) over going the ball. In fact I'd hazard a guess and suggest they give some away intentionally from time to time as it gives them time to get back and set up, couple good examples of it against Essendon spring to mind. Another good example of prioritising the tackle/pressure over the ball was vs Adelaide recently - watch Isaac Heeney trying to tag Sloane, the amount of times Sloane ran at the ball then pulled up and Heeney was already committed to the tackle kept resulting in free kicks. I actually thought Sloane was incredibly clever and has clearly learned a good method or two to help deal with tags. Not saying that particular match Adelaide didn't have a generally favourable run with the umpires because other than a couple key ones we certainly had the benefit. The point I'm more so making is I see more and more Sydney fans complaining about umpires than ever when in reality I don't think they are getting much of a raw deal at all so much as it's just the way the type of game they play resulting in giving a few more away.

The free kick count is mostly lopsided because Sydney are a defence based side who frequently prioritise laying a tackle (or applying pressure) over going the ball.
There needs to be some kind of consensus on this. I've also seen it posted that teams get better free kick counts because they tackle so hard. In any case, the stats don't really bear out your theory. The Swans are top five in average contested possessions and bottom 5 in average tackles, so I don't see where the idea that they prioritise tackling over winning the ball comes from. Certainly not from watching them.

The free kick count is mostly lopsided because Sydney are a defence based side who frequently prioritise laying a tackle (or applying pressure) over going the ball. In fact I'd hazard a guess and suggest they give some away intentionally from time to time as it gives them time to get back and set up, couple good examples of it against Essendon spring to mind. Another good example of prioritising the tackle/pressure over the ball was vs Adelaide recently - watch Isaac Heeney trying to tag Sloane, the amount of times Sloane ran at the ball then pulled up and Heeney was already committed to the tackle kept resulting in free kicks. I actually thought Sloane was incredibly clever and has clearly learned a good method or two to help deal with tags. Not saying that particular match Adelaide didn't have a generally favourable run with the umpires because other than a couple key ones we certainly had the benefit. The point I'm more so making is I see more and more Sydney fans complaining about umpires than ever when in reality I don't think they are getting much of a raw deal at all so much as it's just the way the type of game they play resulting in giving a few more away.
Sydney were reemed in the Adelaide game but the media decided to focus the post game discussion around the one free that Eddie didn't receive. We know what the score is. Sydney have to get 4-5 goals up to beat the umps.
So be it ...

The free kick count is so lopsided because the umps refuse to pay free kicks to the Swans.
Look at the Crows game, Jenkins practically does a 720 on two occasions but no holding the ball. JPK gets tackled at a centre bounce and gets pinged for holding the ball, 2 seconds after he takes possession. Crows players get tackled, drop the ball, play on. Swans players don't even get tackled, the ball gets knocked out of their hands, holding the ball gets paid to the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back