AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

And the year after that, and the year after that :D Has anyone ever been back to back captain of the under22 side?

Am I missing something? He'll be 23 at the start of the 2019 season, so not sure how he'd be eligible in 2019 and 2020.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying I love this bloke.....but.....

Did anyone else think he developed a little bit of Cotchin-itis in the back half of the year? Felt like he was winning less of his own ball with less tackling and pressure work. Lots of cheapies, not hunting man and ball as he has in the past.

And yes....Cotchin does seem to have overcome this malady.

Think it was more a product of the role he was playing - Actually thought his second half of the year was better than his first half of the year, because he was obtaining more possessions in the forward half and was therefore more damaging - Thought he was better in 2016.

The AFL.com.au Brownlow predictor has tipped Zach Merrett to be among the early pacesetters in Monday's Brownlow Medal count.

Merrett was named on the wing in the All Australian team after a year that saw him record the most possessions (659) by an Essendon player ever, beating the mark he set in 2016.

The 21 year old also broke Brent Stanton’s record (447) for the most uncontested possessions in a season. He averaged 20.6 uncontested possessions per game on his way to recording 454 for the season.

The former Sandringham Dragon was ranked number one at the Club for possessions (30 per game), kicks (17.4), tackles (5.6), uncontested possessions (20.6) and metres gained (487.3m).

Merrett played 22 games and recorded more than 30 disposals on 12 occasions.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-09-25/brownlow-medal-guide

He's ineligible, but lets have a mini-competition just for fun:

1. Post below with the number of votes you think he'll get.
2. Vote in the poll as well so we can see what the majority thinks.

*Poll closes at about 9.45, before the last few rounds and winner are announced (although my maths is notoriously bad so we'll see if it works properly or not :p )

ZMerrett to poll 22 but I reckon Dusty will poll in the low to mid 30s

I am surprised that Zach is expected to be an early pacesetter as I felt he started a bit quiet before having a really strong patch up until he got suspended then kind of was average but then again average for Zach is outstanding for most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back