• Eric Hipwood

• Jonathan Freeman

• Jack Repath

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumour going round Charlie Dixon has walked out on Port. We should be MASSIVELY into him if true.

Richmond’s successful off-season is driving its on-field success and premiership hopes

RICHMOND is the club that told its head recruiter it was firing him before he was about to use the five top-18 selections that would define its future.

The Tigers are the club that selected Aaron Fiora over Matthew Pavlich and Richard Tambling over Lance Franklin

And yet if it has taken many painful years for those memories to fade, they might just be having the last laugh.

Last Friday night Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy, Toby Nankervis and Jack Graham played critical roles in a preliminary final win.

And electric forward Shai Bolton is nipping at Jason Castagna’s heels for selection.

Should the Tigers fall over in a prelim, the small silver lining will be two first-round picks and five in the first three rounds of the draft

It is part of a masterful trade, free agency and draft period that could reap the ultimate reward this year.

It slotted together like a jigsaw puzzle but has taken a season to construct as Caddy teased, Prestia plodded and Graham battled injury.

It was revealed on Friday night as a masterpiece where a series of interconnected trades worked to perfection.

As clubs consider what to throw at Jake Lever, Jake Stringer, maybe Josh Schache and Bryce Gibbs, last year the Tigers gave up plenty and got more back.

Richmond was desperate to add inside grunt to its midfield, and acquired Gold Coast midfielder Prestia and pick 24 for pick six (Jack Scrimshaw) and the Tigers’ 2017 second-round pick (now 34 but could fall anywhere from 32-35).

The Tigers sent Brett Deledio to Greater Western Sydney for two 2017 picks — Geelong’s first-rounder (13-17) and the Giants’ third-rounder (48-53).

When Geelong’s Caddy became available, they traded picks 24 and 64 for Caddy and 56.

With that pick they secured the 2016 Larke medallist, a tackling machine harshly considered by some recruiters to be an honest trier with poor foot skills.

That was Jack Graham, who has had 27 tackles in his first three games and is exactly what they need.

The Tigers ripped required player Toby Nankervis out of Sydney with the bargain-basement selection of 46.

Imagine them without him this year as Shaun Hampson battled a back injury, Ben Griffiths was concussed and Todd Elton came and went from the senior team with little impact

When Ty Vickery left, they got a second-round compensation pick (29) and snared small forward Bolton.

Bolton looks to have a huge future and the Hawks seem to be shopping Vickery just a season in.

Those kind of buyer regrets once happened at Richmond, but now the boot is on the other foot.

To top it off, Deledio had a qualifying final stinker, and his saved salary cap room helped re-sign Dustin Martin.

The harsh reality of recruiting is one finals series can vindicate a trade.

The Tigers have made as many mistakes as most, but right now they could hardly have asked for more after hitting off-season paydirt.

jon.ralph@news.com.au

Had an idea... (dangerous I know!)

It's believed that Melbourne are the ones for Lever and Crows will want a fair bit for trade. The Dees will need to get another pick from somewhere.

Given Melbourne have pick 10 in the draft. I thought we could get involved and offer our first round pick (18) for Melbourne's first round pick next year.

Melbourne will be bullish they can rise up the ladder and will want to stay in this years draft rather than offload their 2nd round pick.

Why wouldn't the Crows just ask for pick 10 and 1st rounder next year and cut out the middle man you ask?

Well the Crows might like to take 3 picks into the top 20 this year for salary cap relief or they can use them for a trade on Gibbs. Carlton will be keen to fill list holes this year.

We'll still have a first rounder (Geelongs) and hopefully we won't have to use it on Naish. So all going well we'll virtually have 2 x first rounders this year and 2 x first rounders next year.

To be honest, I think with our culture, Stringer would need to adapt accordingly.
I love the guy and what he brings to the team, but Caddy is a bit of a DH. Sometimes you need a couple of cocky campaigners on your list, nothing wrong with that.
I like what Stringer could offer us in terms of X-Factor and scoreboard impact. Plus he can go through the middle if we need him to.

More competition for the likes of Townsend. With all do respect to GOATsend but if I had to pick between he and Stringer moving forward, Stringer gets the nod every time. Would need to buy in to the high pressure game style which I don't foresee to be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should that be GODSEND ?

I think when he is traded the FIGJAM will go down by the pick swapped and the level of his salary the dogs will pay (if he is still contracted)

Yeah potentially. He is a very good player with a lot of X factor. Just gun shy. Especially considering where we are as a club and team.

Richmond’s successful off-season is driving its on-field success and premiership hopes

RICHMOND is the club that told its head recruiter it was firing him before he was about to use the five top-18 selections that would define its future.

The Tigers are the club that selected Aaron Fiora over Matthew Pavlich and Richard Tambling over Lance Franklin

And yet if it has taken many painful years for those memories to fade, they might just be having the last laugh.

Last Friday night Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy, Toby Nankervis and Jack Graham played critical roles in a preliminary final win.

And electric forward Shai Bolton is nipping at Jason Castagna’s heels for selection.

Should the Tigers fall over in a prelim, the small silver lining will be two first-round picks and five in the first three rounds of the draft

It is part of a masterful trade, free agency and draft period that could reap the ultimate reward this year.

It slotted together like a jigsaw puzzle but has taken a season to construct as Caddy teased, Prestia plodded and Graham battled injury.

It was revealed on Friday night as a masterpiece where a series of interconnected trades worked to perfection.

As clubs consider what to throw at Jake Lever, Jake Stringer, maybe Josh Schache and Bryce Gibbs, last year the Tigers gave up plenty and got more back.

Richmond was desperate to add inside grunt to its midfield, and acquired Gold Coast midfielder Prestia and pick 24 for pick six (Jack Scrimshaw) and the Tigers’ 2017 second-round pick (now 34 but could fall anywhere from 32-35).

The Tigers sent Brett Deledio to Greater Western Sydney for two 2017 picks — Geelong’s first-rounder (13-17) and the Giants’ third-rounder (48-53).

When Geelong’s Caddy became available, they traded picks 24 and 64 for Caddy and 56.

With that pick they secured the 2016 Larke medallist, a tackling machine harshly considered by some recruiters to be an honest trier with poor foot skills.

That was Jack Graham, who has had 27 tackles in his first three games and is exactly what they need.

The Tigers ripped required player Toby Nankervis out of Sydney with the bargain-basement selection of 46.

Imagine them without him this year as Shaun Hampson battled a back injury, Ben Griffiths was concussed and Todd Elton came and went from the senior team with little impact

When Ty Vickery left, they got a second-round compensation pick (29) and snared small forward Bolton.

Bolton looks to have a huge future and the Hawks seem to be shopping Vickery just a season in.

Those kind of buyer regrets once happened at Richmond, but now the boot is on the other foot.

To top it off, Deledio had a qualifying final stinker, and his saved salary cap room helped re-sign Dustin Martin.

The harsh reality of recruiting is one finals series can vindicate a trade.

The Tigers have made as many mistakes as most, but right now they could hardly have asked for more after hitting off-season paydirt.

jon.ralph@news.com.au

So true. That last trade period was a real Mic drop moment.

Koch for one. Port promised him a flag second.
Felt for him on Saturday night. He tried so hard to get that win. He just couldn't convert and I suspect that was because he exhausted himself going above and beyond. However highly doubt he's going anywhere.

Port could not factor in Charlie Dixon awful kicking for goal that night

View attachment 415281

Irrelevant for this thread I know but aside from the bad kicking, Wingard had 2 opportunities in the last 90 seconds to slow the game down and ice it and messed it up both times.

Another one of those high profile players that get a lot of positive press about how good they are but rarely stand up when it counts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The enigmatic Jake Stringer is out of favour at the Western Bulldogs and will play elsewhere next year. In a chequered 89-game career that included playing in a premiership and being dropped to the VFL in the same season, he’s on the nose again at Whitten Oval, two years after his All-Australian selection for the 2015 season in which he kicked 56 goals.

All Stringer’s key performance indicators are down this season, including goals — he’s kicked 24 in 16 games — but rival clubs will be interested in him. Certainly St Kilda and Collingwood are sniffing around and Richmond are poised. There are other premiership players on rocky ground at the Dogs, who will field interest from clubs on contracted players including Luke Dahlhaus. Watch this space on that front.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/895d6cefa09d52af59fe2cefd154559b

Would take stringer regardless of what ive been told about him from a coach within the club, hes got all the talent in the world

Dixon was the only one who wanted to win it foe port. Busted his gut trying. His accuracy was most likely due to him beibg exhausted.

The tackle on that wce player at half-forward, very reminiscent of a Cotchin tackle earlier on in the year that helped us get over the line. Dixon's teammates should have lifted after that, it was inspiring but of course they didn't.

A coach from Footscray? What did he say?

yeh, wont say who it is but hes told me hes very lazy when it comes to training and rehabilitation

nothing we havent heard on the grape vine anyway

Would take stringer regardless of what ive been told about him from a coach within the club, hes got all the talent in the world

Yeah I've come around in a big way. I think our culture is very different to the dogs, guys like Cotchin, Rance, Jack, Edwards, Prestia, Houli, Grigg, Maric, Flossy, BEllis etc... don't seem to be huge party guys and with Dusty's massive growth off-field, I don't think (could be wrong) it's him as much anymore either.

Stringer would come to club finding very different values, ideals and expectations. Also with young kid/s (think I read he has two?) could find a very good environment with them and how family oriented our club is.

That being said I don't know much about the dogs culture and could be basing it off libba a bit but seems much more ladish... I know bevo is a bit of lad too but does seem to know how to separate that from work.

I heard a rumour Tigers were talking to a player mid year from a guy who used who played against him.

I ran into his brother and raised it with him and he did not bat an eye lid so it is probably BS but I did find out his old man was a mad Tigers supporter and his brother still follows us so who knows??

Its funny how you run into more Tigers fans since we are on the up again and prominent in finals but its nice all the same!!
Wrong Board.GWS That way>>>>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back