The positives thread

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In good news for you Ceebee

the year buddy has kicked 69 goals in 22 games.
Hipwood has kicked 30 in 20 which if you gross up to 22 games is 33 goals. If you double that we sit at 66. Thats only three goals shy of Hipwood being half as good as buddy!! I think that is pretty close to qualifying as a positive under the previous definition above.

*This post is brought to you by the blynd_freddie school of irrelevant statistics.
But if you took out the 10 last game he was 59 from 21, so Hipwood was more than half of Buddy...until last week.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team

Hipwood has kicked 30 in 20 which if you gross up to 22 games is 33 goals. If you double that we sit at 66. Thats only three goals shy of Hipwood being half as good as buddy!! I think that is pretty close to qualifying as a positive under the previous definition above.

*This post is brought to you by the blynd_freddie school of irrelevant statistics.
You and the amazing Blynd-Freddie are my heroes .
As well as Hippy of course ,the next Buddy ,or half Buddy !

Witherden is 5th for effective kicks in the defensive half of the ground for 2017. That is ******* nuts.

thats since his debut compared to other players during that timeframe, not over the whole 2017 season. Still thats pretty bloody incredible for a first year player.

thats since his debut compared to other players during that timeframe, not over the whole 2017 season. Still thats pretty bloody incredible for a first year player.

Ah must have misread. As you said still bloody incredible especially given the bombardment our backs have been under.

Witherden is 5th for effective kicks in the defensive half of the ground for 2017. That is ******* nuts.
He tries to get a little cute some times for my liking (ala Suckling). But he is a beautiful kick.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hello members, long time lurker and don't post very often but thoroughly enjoy the contributions all Lions fans make on this board. I'm just a die hard Lions fan based in Melbourne. Anyway, possibly the wrong place for this but I wanted to share my "positive" of the year, highlighting the fan interaction and professionalism of the club that I observed last weekend. My son was randomly selected -from all Junior members to have attended every Victorian game this year - to be the Junior mascot for the Brisbane Lions at the Lions vs Demons game at the MCG last weekend.

The little fella was given the opportunity (gladly accompanied by me) to go into the rooms before the game and watch the players warm up, get dressed up in Lions playing gear, run out with the players through the banner, and then kick a goal with the help of Dayne Beams (although he was happier with the lollies Dayne gave him). Further to this we were also invited into the rooms after the game to meet the players and get his new jumper signed. The players were willing to give their time to us and interacted openly, even allowing us to interrupt their conversations with family and friends to engage with us. What an amazing experience, one we both will never forget, and are extremely appreciative for being given the opportunity!!

What stood out for me during the day was the effort that went into fan interaction, particularly by the support staff, co-ordinating the Junior mascot and corporates, members forming the guard of honour and just family and friends access. Special thanks goes to Sam Lord and Peter for looking after myself and my son, they were genuine in their endeavours to make us feel welcome and part of the day.

I also noticed the professionalism of the preparation from the players, coaches and support staff. Everything done in warm ups was timed, players weighed themselves often, food and drink provided was monitored and there was plenty of guidance and direction provided to the players. Whilst this may be expected by a professional sporting team, it was noted in conversation that there had been significant improvement in these areas.

All in all, an experience we are so fortunate to have been part of and I would personally like to thank the Brisbane Lions, Sam Lord, Peter and the players ( Lions_Insider ) for making our day so enjoyable. It is these types of experiences that creates a 'positive' culture and ensures we have a member base for years to come.

View attachment 407789

Thanks for your awesome feedback! Great to hear you and your son enjoyed the experience.

He tries to get a little cut some times for my liking (ala Suckling). But he is a beautiful kick.

He acknowledged that in a recent interview which is awesome. Some of his kicks on the weekend were so well spotted.

Actually...

• In Buddy's first 2 years he played 34 games and registered 74 scoring shots.
  • Eric has played only 31 games yet registered 73 scoring shots.
  • Therefore ~ Eric was/IS 8% BETTER THAN BUDDY, simples! :D

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames

Come on... there's no such thing as an irrelevant statistic. All numbers are beautiful and bursting with deep meaning. Eg: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55... etc. I'm sure that's as perfectly clear to everyone as 42 is.

Actually...

• In Buddy's first 2 years he played 34 games and registered 74 scoring shots.
  • Eric has played only 31 games yet registered 73 scoring shots.
  • Therefore ~ Eric was/IS 8% BETTER THAN BUDDY, simples! :D

So what you're saying is that we can look forward to 145 scoring shots from Eric next year? Woohoo!

So what you're saying is that we can look forward to 145 scoring shots from Eric next year? Woohoo!
Amateur, a feeble supposition.

Try using facts, rather than hypothesis, theories and/or opinion. I'd suggest you stick to YOUR big positive of the year, you suck less than me at supercoach. :$

;)

Amateur, a feeble supposition.

Try using facts, rather than hypothesis, theories and/or opinion. I'd suggest you stick to YOUR big positive of the year, you suck less than me at supercoach. :$

;)

The beers and the schnitzel from the spoils of that victory were delicious, cheers!

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can I say that ourcdelistings are a positive in the sense that in the past their have been quite a number of players that we would have delisted without a second thought. This year you can make a case for most if not all our delistings to get another year. So the fact that we are having to think about this is a positive.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Can I say that ourcdelistings are a positive in the sense that in the past their have been quite a number of players that we would have delisted without a second thought. This year you can make a case for most if not all our delistings to get another year. So the fact that we are having to think about this is a positive.
It will start getting harder over the next 4 years I believe. Apart from possibly Martin, and barring retirement due to injury, we have no players close to the end of their careers. There is going to be a lot of pressure on the bottom 10 players on the list, especially the younger kids and rookies in their final year.

I'm also curious as to the thought processes behind the rule that clubs must delist a minimum of 3 players each year.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Just some observations from watching the GF again.
Hanley has very quick disposal with hand and foot. Developing well as a small defender with run. Just needs to improve his longer kicks.
Hinge perhaps the best game I've seen him play. Kept Rose goalless and he kicked 6 on us last time. A great kick, looked the best of our boys when taking the kick-in.
Keays's gut running was super impressive. Just needs to work on his ability to steady at pace, could have easily kicked 4 goals.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hipwood name at Full forward and Harris Andrews fullback for Under 22's team

how bloody good looks like our two key pillars are fine for the future

bit stiff on someone like Lewis Taylor missing out though

also anyone notice guys like Will Hayward getting into the top 5 for best first year player, no mention of Witho or Mcluggage or Berry, don't know what it will take for our boys to get noticed

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

also anyone notice guys like Will Hayward getting into the top 5 for best first year player, no mention of Witho or Mcluggage or Berry, don't know what it will take for our boys to get noticed

On a player voted award I think you benefit a lot by being in a good side.

Even with that being the case, I think Witherden would be right at the pointy end of a few awards if he had played 15-20 games.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

AFLPA awards are a joke.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

To be fair, I don't think McCluggage had a great year, plenty 1st years infront of him. Berry while being pretty good in the middle had a fair few statistically bad games (in relation to disposals). Witherden was fantastic, but l think he needed to play more games for him to be in.

Back