Game Day 1st Semi-final WCE vs GWS Giants

Can we recover in time and claim consecutive road wins?

• Yes, we're overdue to flat-track someone

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • Tough task, will probably take double extra-time golden point, but we're up to it

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • No, we spent all our petrol tickets in Adelaide

Votes: 37 33.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They're almost better off letting Lobb and Patton ruck, and bringing in Johnson/Griffen (for experience) and another small, try and provide that manic small forward pressure that served Richmond well last week and the Dogs the finals series earlier.

Shhh, lets not give them any ideas or tips.

Having said that, if our midfield pressure is on and we get those rushed forward entries - if the Giants have gone small we will eat them alive in the air back there. they would be weighing up whether to try and exploit us for speed on the ground or find the balance to be able to engage the talls and be able to bring the ball down.
As has been the case the whole season though - if we can't keep the pressure on - especially with a very tough game and short week we will be vulnerable late

It is near unbelievable, but West Coast have a genuine crack at making the Grand final this year. Top a injured and demoralised Giants, then physically dominate an undersized, overhyped Richmond. Watch the Victorian tears pool in the streets as yellow and blue comes from oblivian to forcefully caress the MCG in one of the greatest surprise packets of modern football.
I like this guy!

If we win this week I will actually like our chances against Richmond in the prelim as crazy as it is to think. Our midfield really has to turn up this week cause thats where we will likely get smashed by GWS.

GWS Giants versus West Coast Eagles

View attachment 414660
Imposing. Just look at that bikini line.

vs

View attachment 414661
"Fan art"

Where: Spotless Stadium
When: Sat. 16 September, 7:25pm AEST (5:25pm Western)

So here we are. Halfway into September and still with a game to look forward to. Who’da thunk it? A season that was in its death throes just a fortnight ago has suddenly had new life breathed into it.

My jangled nerves have only now been soothed. Actually, I made that up. My nerves were fine on Saturday night.

You see, at ¾ time I saw the writing on the wall and decided to watch my download of the final episode of Game of Thrones season 7. I just couldn’t put myself through the soul-crushing agony of another meek fade-out. Regrets? Yah-hah, just a few. But boy, that was an ending for the ages, right? Dragons, executions, unwitting incest. Wow-wee.

Oh, the footy? Yeah, apparently that was a pretty good finish too. Pretty much the most epic finish to a final it is possible to witness. So I’m told. I had to read the post-game articles and watch some videos to catch up on it all. I kept reading about one of the smartest plays ever witnessed on an AFL field. It took me ages to find a vid of Ezy running full bore into a point post. Brilliant !
View attachment 414662
The greatest piece of individual brilliance in AFL history

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
- Isaac Newton, 1676

Old mate Isaac knew his footy. Bemoaning their juicy draft concessions, he could see that one day, the road to the premiership would run through western Sydney. And so it does for us in 2017.

2017 meetings

Round 22 Saturday, August 19
In the game until we got run over late in the 4th.

View attachment 414663

Round 10 Sunday, May 28
In the game until we got run over late in the 4th.
View attachment 414664

So how do I see this weekend playing out? Well they say the key to winning interstate is to silence the crowd early. We did it to perfection on Saturday night and I back us to repeat that effort. Especially if this gem from the GWS board’s preview thread is any indication:

“Tickets go on sales for competing club members on Monday September 12th from 9am– 1pm. It’s our last visit to Spotless for the year, so we all need to bring along at least one guest, and put an orange scarf on them.”

View attachment 414665
The boys will have to silence this early

The big question is, if we get off to another early lead, can we sustain the effort for longer than a quarter? Recent history suggests we will not, so the issue becomes: will we have the legs to hold on again? GWS haven’t exactly set the world on fire just lately, so maybe, just maybe, we can eke out another grinding win.

Ins and Outs
Possible GWS line-up, courtesy of their preview thread:

FB: Adam Tomlinson, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw
HB: Nathan Wilson, Aidan Corr, Brett Deledio
C: Lachie Whitfield, Callan Ward, Tom Scully
HF: Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto, Rory Lobb
FF: Toby Greene, Jon Patton, Matt de Boer
RR: Dawson Simpson, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper

Interchange: Nick Haynes, Harry Himmelberg, Zac Williams, Dylan Shiel

In: Dawson Simpson, Tim Taranto

Out: Jeremy Cameron (hamstring), Shane Mumford (ankle)

Emergencies: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Kennedy, Harry Perryman

With the injury to Cameron, GWS will be forced to go smaller in their forward line, looking to add a bit of pace to unsettle our aerial dominance down back. Regardless, I’ll be backing our blokes to repel their raids all night long. That’s what they do.

As for us, we went in unchanged against Port (I think?). Don’t expect that to happen this week. Simmo has hinted at the need to add some fresh legs to help us out after a draining extra-time win on the road and all the travel ahead if we are to continue on. Personally I enjoy airline travel. You get to sit down for several hours, watch movies and have food and drink brought to you whenever you want by attractive women. But it’s not for some, I guess.

The most obvious replacements springing to mind are Messrs Wellingham and Masten, neither of whom put a foot wrong in the WAFL at the weekend. (see what I did there?). Names on the chopping block seem to be Partington, LeCras and the human tackle bag, Liam Duggan. LeCras I suspect will be safe, given the crazy stupid gamble of replacing him with an underdone debutant in the form of Willie Rioli. But Parto and Duggan? Expect one of them to miss, with Wellingham to replace.

In the box

Simmo:
There have been a few subtle rumblings about Simpson’s tenure as coach of late, with his tactical acumen called into question. But just as he did when he devised the Web, he has engineered another coaching masterstroke late in 2017 – instead of allowing teams to run over us in 4th quarters after being ahead all day, Simmo decided it would be better if this happened in 3rd quarters, thus leaving us with one quarter to make amends before the game ends. Suck on that, doubters.

Leon Cameron:
Beady eyes. Looks shifty. Never did like him.

Players to watch

Pridchell
View attachment 414666

Amazing what the threat of playing in your last game does to a man. Along with Drew Petrie, these guys just did what they do and delayed the cold dark hand of death, errr, retirement for one week longer. Can they back it up? If they want to stave off the encroaching darkness, they’ll have to. I think they can.

Rory Lobb
I like watching Lobb play. He reminds me of Marty McFly’s dad in Back to the Future.

View attachment 414667
Is it just me? Probably

Also, will he be asked to take on the sole rucking duties if Mumford is ruled out with an ankle, or even dropped? I think Vardy/Petrie have this area covered, following on from their efforts against Patrick Ryder, AA. Inevitably there will be chatter around Nic Nat’s availability, but in our heart of hearts we know that just ain’t happenin’. Vardy/Petrie deserve to see 2017 out.

Stevie J
Do the Giants take a punt and hope for a spark from Stevie J? If not, it’s near certain he’s played his last game. For trivia buffs amongst you, apparently the J stands for Johnson and his real first name is Steven. Who knew?

Toby Greene
I remember Greene kicking the sealer against us at Subi earlier this year. I also remember him kicking Luke Dahlhaus in the face and getting suspended for punching someone else in another game. He has done enough to earn his place in my Gallery of Most Punchable Heads. However he’s a handy little player who tends to love an occasion. He’ll be looking to lift after being down against the Crows. Does Shep go to him? Might need to lift his rating after Saturday to do the job.

View attachment 414668
Wing it’s Gallery of Punchable Heads

Prediction
GWS may have western Sydney, but we have the whole west coast (tiny irrelevant purple dot on the map aside). They have been well down and suddenly look gettable. Eagles by 12(thousand empty seats).

that's some fine lookin' "fan art"

We will struggle to get past GWS this week. But can you imagine the 4D chess Adelaide were playing to help us into finals just to flog us in the GF. ;)

There was a 1 pt lead to GWS at the start of the last quarter in Rd 22 ..So we were giving them a run for it and were far from disgraced to lose by 21 points with GWS getting some late goals ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let alone 3 in a row

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
350.png

It still bothers me about what to potentially do to try and curb Josh Kellys influence this weekend.

Do we send Hutch to him with the premise of a super hard tag and hope he plays the game of his life?

Do we move Yeo onto him with a run with role to try and outbody him at the stoppages?

Do we do something from left field and send Shepherd to him given that he offers better speed and mobility?

The boys really need to do all they can to hurt him and rough him up at every stoppage within the limits of the game, unless of course someone really wants to take one for the team and come straight in from the center bounce and take him out............

Last time Hutch did a pretty good job on Shiel and Kelly had a day out. I figure a hard tag on Kelly will just result in a dominant Shiel performance.

Team defence will be the name of the game as GWS have so much talent across the ground that shutting down one or two players won't have that much impact IMO they will just utilise other avenues.

Last time Hutch did a pretty good job on Shiel and Kelly had a day out. I figure a hard tag on Kelly will just result in a dominant Shiel performance.

Team defence will be the name of the game as GWS have so much talent across the ground that shutting down one or two players won't have that much impact IMO they will just utilise other avenues.
Bring back Tonners - its now or never as they say on the other thread

It still bothers me about what to potentially do to try and curb Josh Kellys influence this weekend.

The boys really need to do all they can to hurt him and rough him up at every stoppage within the limits of the game, unless of course someone really wants to take one for the team and come straight in from the center bounce and take him out............

Not sure there's much more hurt you can put on the bloke than what JK did to him last time. And he still got up and played a blinder last quarter.

Our best chance is for Shuey and Pritchell to fire, win the contested possession, and keep feeding outside ball carriers in Gaff and Jetts. ie keep the ball from getting to the likes of Kelly, Shiel and Scully.

I suppose it comes down to who do we think will have the most impact if left unchecked, Shiel or Kelly?

Win, lose or draw, I predict we'll be smashed in nearly every statistic.

Their injury list is longer than the Afghan army TBH, gives us a chance. Season proper with all their men we'd be smashed.
GWS by 10 still.

*hope I'm wrong

Back