Discussion Finals Series 2017: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone confirmed the policy?

Is it coin toss or finished highest? People have stated both here

Last year I posted two quotes from Patrick Keane before the 2013 and 2015 Grand Finals. The "policies" that he referenced contradicted each other. If I can find them later when I'm on my computer I'll post them, but it should be in last years thread if someone wants to go digging.

Basically, they just do whatever to suit their agenda. As an example, since 1996, the team who won the nominated "1st Preliminary Final" was always designated as the home team for the Grand Final (note: home team in the GF has never come with any uniform rights). Patrick Keane also confirmed this policy on twitter in 2015. Last year however, they changed it to "highest finishing team" because having the Bulldogs (who finished 7th) as the "home" team to the Swans (who finished 1st) didn't sit well with them.

Winner of PF1 is officially listed as the home team, but the higher finishing team gets uniform rights. Simples.

Having said that, I don't know who has uniform rights when the top team loses its QF to the 4th team, and they then meet in the GF.

Does 4th become more highly ranked by virtue of knocking off 1st? Or would they stick to ladder positions to determine ranking? Or would they just make it up to fit with whatever agenda they have at that point in time?

Last year I posted two quotes from Patrick Keane before the 2013 and 2015 Grand Finals. The "policies" that he referenced contradicted each other. If I can find them later when I'm on my computer I'll post them, but it should be in last years thread if someone wants to go digging.

Basically, they just do whatever to suit their agenda. As an example, since 1996, the team who won the nominated "1st Preliminary Final" was always designated as the home team for the Grand Final (note: home team in the GF has never come with any uniform rights). Patrick Keane also confirmed this policy on twitter in 2015. Last year however, they changed it to "highest finishing team" because having the Bulldogs (who finished 7th) as the "home" team to the Swans (who finished 1st) didn't sit well with them.

You were right....

AFL to consider jumper clash options for Richmond v Adelaide grand final
The AFL are poised to next week consider the prospect of making Richmond wear a clash jumper in the grand final if they qualify to face Adelaide.

The Tigers and the Crows have qualified for home preliminary finals and are in the box seat to play off for the premiership.

It would force the AFL to make a decision about whether to continue a recent trend of making one team wear an alternative guernsey when the two clubs meet. Convention would suggest that Adelaide – as the higher-placed team – would be given priority for wearing their home jumper.

Both this year and in 2015, Richmond wore their predominantly yellow clash jumper featuring a black sash – the inverse of their famous home jumper – in away games against the Crows, whose home jumper contains navy, red and yellow horizontal stripes. In 2016, Adelaide wore their mainly white clash jumper in a match against the Tigers at Etihad Stadium. Not since 2014 have the clubs played a game in which both sides have worn their first-choice jumpers.

Neither the Crows nor Tigers wanted to comment about the possible clash, although AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the issue would likely be looked at ahead of next weekend's preliminary finalists.

"I think that's something for us to get to a bit closer to the game," Keane said.

"We have some other finals to play first and I imagine we would start thinking those possibilities of match-ups once we know all four preliminary finalists after this weekend."

Richmond were in 2014 embroiled in a jumper controversy involving Port Adelaide when the Power ended up wearing their "prison bars" Port Adelaide Magpies jumper top avoid a clash in a home elimination final at Adelaide Oval.

The Tigers subsequently unveiled their mainly yellow clash jumper ahead of the 2015 season, and were praised by the Power for doing so.

St Kilda (2010) and Fremantle (2013) both wore predominantly white second-choice jumpers as the lower-ranked side in grand finals against Collingwood and Hawthorn respectively.

Richmond have been reluctant to tempt fate by publicly contemplating a grand final berth in the context of this issue, although club great Kevin Bartlett insisted on his SEN radio program on Wednesday that the Tigers must wear their traditional jumper if they make it to their first decider in 35 years.

"When a side gets to a grand final they should be, and always should wear their traditional jumper, always wear their traditional jumper," Bartlett said.

"Hopefully the Tigers won't fall for anything from the AFL. If the AFL says you've got to wear the canary jumper - you tell them to get stuffed.

"That is ridiculous, that will not happen. Richmond cannot play in a grand final looking like budgerigars, or canaries.

"If they want to charge us $50,000 who gives a stuff?"

In order for the possible clash to materialise, the Tigers must beat the winner of the Greater Western Sydney-West Coast semi final in an MCG preliminary final on Saturday week, while the Crows will need to overcome whoever progresses from this week's Geelong-Sydney semi final in an Adelaide Oval preliminary next Friday night.

You were right....

AFL to consider jumper clash options for Richmond v Adelaide grand final
The AFL are poised to next week consider the prospect of making Richmond wear a clash jumper in the grand final if they qualify to face Adelaide.

The Tigers and the Crows have qualified for home preliminary finals and are in the box seat to play off for the premiership.

It would force the AFL to make a decision about whether to continue a recent trend of making one team wear an alternative guernsey when the two clubs meet. Convention would suggest that Adelaide – as the higher-placed team – would be given priority for wearing their home jumper.

Both this year and in 2015, Richmond wore their predominantly yellow clash jumper featuring a black sash – the inverse of their famous home jumper – in away games against the Crows, whose home jumper contains navy, red and yellow horizontal stripes. In 2016, Adelaide wore their mainly white clash jumper in a match against the Tigers at Etihad Stadium. Not since 2014 have the clubs played a game in which both sides have worn their first-choice jumpers.

Neither the Crows nor Tigers wanted to comment about the possible clash, although AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the issue would likely be looked at ahead of next weekend's preliminary finalists.

"I think that's something for us to get to a bit closer to the game," Keane said.

"We have some other finals to play first and I imagine we would start thinking those possibilities of match-ups once we know all four preliminary finalists after this weekend."

Richmond were in 2014 embroiled in a jumper controversy involving Port Adelaide when the Power ended up wearing their "prison bars" Port Adelaide Magpies jumper top avoid a clash in a home elimination final at Adelaide Oval.

The Tigers subsequently unveiled their mainly yellow clash jumper ahead of the 2015 season, and were praised by the Power for doing so.

St Kilda (2010) and Fremantle (2013) both wore predominantly white second-choice jumpers as the lower-ranked side in grand finals against Collingwood and Hawthorn respectively.

Richmond have been reluctant to tempt fate by publicly contemplating a grand final berth in the context of this issue, although club great Kevin Bartlett insisted on his SEN radio program on Wednesday that the Tigers must wear their traditional jumper if they make it to their first decider in 35 years.

"When a side gets to a grand final they should be, and always should wear their traditional jumper, always wear their traditional jumper," Bartlett said.

"Hopefully the Tigers won't fall for anything from the AFL. If the AFL says you've got to wear the canary jumper - you tell them to get stuffed.

"That is ridiculous, that will not happen. Richmond cannot play in a grand final looking like budgerigars, or canaries.

"If they want to charge us $50,000 who gives a stuff?"

In order for the possible clash to materialise, the Tigers must beat the winner of the Greater Western Sydney-West Coast semi final in an MCG preliminary final on Saturday week, while the Crows will need to overcome whoever progresses from this week's Geelong-Sydney semi final in an Adelaide Oval preliminary next Friday night.
Old man yells at cloud

And for comment, afl has to be consistent so i have no idea what Keane needs to think about

In 2017 rfc is required to play in a clash kit against the crows. If they have changed their mind, change it for 2018, not now

This was my issue in 2014 when "rfc" screwed the eagles and port. We were to play in the clash kit the afl approved in the 2014 preseason, but days out from each game the afl moved the goal posts (three times with port)

Make a call, and apply it for the whole year

And again, ftr i want us in black and yellow, but you cant have one rule for some clubs and one rule for others

Old man yells at cloud

Kb still sucks them in. I love his annual "we will beat the blues by 250 points" prediction, and how angry blues fans get over it. Milo is an amo compared to hungry

And for comment, afl has to be consistent so i have no idea what Keane needs to think about

In 2017 rfc is required to play in a clash kit against the crows. If they have changed their mind, change it for 2018, not now

This was my issue in 2014 when "rfc" screwed the eagles and port. We were to play in the clash kit the afl approved in the 2014 preseason, but days out from each game the afl moved the goal posts (three times with port)

Make a call, and apply it for the whole year

And again, ftr i want us in black and yellow, but you cant have one rule for some clubs and one rule for others
Can't like enough.

I have no idea why people are saying the AFL has to be consistent... they never are. It's one of the few leagues where rules change mid-season, some teams don't know where their home finals will be, what teams wear comes down to vibe... for better or worse it's pretty obvious we'll see one team in white shorts. Eh, won't be that.

Kevin Bartlett is a ******* idiot though, silly old prick. Stop talking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond in home and black shorts v adelaide in home and white shirts would be worse outcome.
That introduces white to the crows colours and richmond although in black and yellow have white numbers.
Either that or Richmond in white shorts. It's not that bad an outcome, not like Richmond used to wear a clash Vs Adelaide anyways.

Either that or Richmond in white shorts. It's not that bad an outcome, not like Richmond used to wear a clash Vs Adelaide anyways.
Back in the 'old days' it was different as less packs and not all 36 players were on screen/same area of field like now. More one on ones back in the 'old days' and players stayed in their positions.
Thats the key difference now and why we need clash jumpers.

Back in the 'old days' it was different as less packs and not all 36 players were on screen/same area of field like now. More one on ones back in the 'old days' and players stayed in their positions.
Thats the key difference now and why we need clash jumpers.

Ffs they never had packs in the vfl????

Yes they had packs but fwds stayed in fwd line. Half fwds at half fwd. there wasnt full team defence and everyone at one wnd of ground. When did dunstall, locket etc push to defence??

And.how often does that appear on camera?

But counter to your view:

zone defense over man on man
Better camera technology
Better zoom quality
High definition broadcasts
Tv screens bigger than 20 inchs
Tv screen resolution that wasnt beer gogglesesque
Tv broadcasts in colour
Footy fields that are not mud wrestling events

But yeah, it was sooo much easier back.in the 70's when the notion of clash jumpers wasnt even necessary

Given its a neutral game.... There shouldn't really be a home or away team.
Even so, if there's a clash someone should wear an alternate jumper - and it makes sense for it to be the lower placed team (ie Richmond).

They have a great clash jumper - it's Yellow and Black! - they should be proud to wear it.

2013 he said because Hawks were higher they were home team and got home full home kit hence why they initially has Freo in purple and white shorts.

Yet they had WCE as away team in 2015 but Hawks wore white shorts......
White shorts should always be secondary, based on jumper choice not on ladder position.
1. Higher placed team chooses jumper
2. Opponent chooses jumper
3. Team with the most white / lighter jumper wears white shorts (if required)

That's pretty much what happened in 2015.

Also Geelong almost always wears white shorts even if they are the higher or 'home' side.

Also Geelong almost always wears white shorts even if they are the higher or 'home' side.
As they should. It is the most logical decision. Never won a flag in blue shorts anyway.

And.how often does that appear on camera?

But counter to your view:

zone defense over man on man
Better camera technology
Better zoom quality
High definition broadcasts
Tv screens bigger than 20 inchs
Tv screen resolution that wasnt beer gogglesesque
Tv broadcasts in colour
Footy fields that are not mud wrestling events

But yeah, it was sooo much easier back.in the 70's when the notion of clash jumpers wasnt even necessary
Not if you live in WA :(
Can't even get all the finals in HD on FTA.

As they should. It is the most logical decision. Never won a flag in blue shorts anyway.

common sense is dark top dark shorts and vice versa for light, with the away team wearing the alternate shorts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back