Autopsy Richmond salary cap disaster: 2018-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The '7-year-deal' thing doesn't matter one iota. I'm sure that if Dusty and the club both think he's no longer up to it he'll retire by mutual agreement. He seems like a guy who has pride in himself.

Given the fact that he's only 26, it's not unrealistic that he could play until he's 33 either, especially given that he's never been especially fragile or injury-prone.

The '7-year-deal' thing doesn't matter one iota. I'm sure that if Dusty and the club both think he's no longer up to it he'll retire by mutual agreement. He seems like a guy who has pride in himself.
There's no Buddy clause in this contract?

The only "compensation" the losing team deserves is the free list spot and salary cap space created by the departing out-of-contract player.
That's your opinion. I factor in that the development the original team have put into the player must count for something. For instance, Martin needed a lot of TLC early on to prevent him going off the rails. He has always been a prodigious talent but it has taken till this year to be consistent. If he left us, all that effort would have gone down the gurgler. And you're saying that we would deserve no compensation for that other than the free list spot and cap space. That is very harsh. Especially if there are no other free agents available at the time because he left it so late to sign up.

LOL WTF are you smoking?

The salary cap has increased. We have not "over paid" for Martin.

We have very smart heads around our football department. Do you think they would jeopardise the list & future for one player?
The salary cap increased so the lower players get paid more. Don't think the new CBA means you can just unload.

And you're saying that we would deserve no compensation for that other than the free list spot and cap space. That is very harsh. Especially if there are no other free agents available at the time because he left it so late to sign up.

Thems the breaks. You win some, you lose some. Adapt, re-load, and go again.

It doesn't make any logical sense IMO for an uncontacted outgoing player to have any currency (either by trade or compensation) for the club they're leaving. They're no longer contracted to the club, they're lost. Time spent managing your investment while it was yours isn't necessarily quantifiable, and you are also "compensated" for that through the player's performance while under contract to you.

I think the AFL and its fans need to get their head around the concept of a loss, in terms of list management and free agency. Not everything needs some "evening-up" balance action or equality measure. Sometimes there needs to be a consequence without a bail-out or safety net.

cb84e4f59111c25235106100a038b786

How will Richmond balance its playing list after giving 1.1 million to one footballer for 7 years?

Surly this will have a significant impact on richmonds ability to not only bring new players to the club via free agency and trades, but also mean richmond will have the challenge of retaining the current list? Is the double edged sword of Dusty not moving on going to cause much distress for the Tigers in the future as time wears on?

Quite frankly the list has a lot of room for improvement with a key forward, ruckman and perhaps midfield pace and depth still required. Will the mega Dustin deal hurt future prospects of trying to have a functions list?
As long as we retain enough space to keep Shaun Grigg we'll be right. :thumbsu:

Possible delistings / trade bait for 2017

Lennon , Lloyd , Miles , Maric , Hunt , Morris , Elton , Yarran

Believe it or not these players listed above recieve more than $2 million py and they will be replaced by new 18 yo players on min salary
So you plan bringing in 8 rookies to be on your senior list as if I'm not mistaken, everyone of those blokes is on your senior list...

Yep that seems sustainable...

Possible delistings / trade bait for 2017

Lennon , Lloyd , Miles , Maric , Hunt , Morris , Elton , Yarran

Believe it or not these players listed above recieve more than $2 million py and they will be replaced by new 18 yo players on min salary
We could get rid of all those without losing much, but for the purposes of depth, we'd be nuts to get rid of Miles, and even Lennon. If Riewoldt goes down, Lennon is our next best marking option, and Miles is next in line if one of the inside mids goes down.

So you plan bringing in 8 rookies to be on your senior list as if I'm not mistaken, everyone of those blokes is on your senior list...

I think several of them will get 1 year deals...Currently we'd likely have to replace most of them with very late picks, so it'd make some sense to hold them over until the supposedly stronger draft next year.

2 first rounders, Naish (F/S) and several rookies to be promoted (Castagna definitely, probably Soldo, perhaps others) means we'll probably only drop 4 or 5.

Of course, it depends a bit on trades (in and out) or any FAs we get in.

Mind you, even if we do take on 8 new kids, it's not such a bad thing to bring in young talent.

We could get rid of all those without losing much, but for the purposes of depth, we'd be nuts to get rid of Miles, and even Lennon. If Riewoldt goes down, Lennon is our next best marking option, and Miles is next in line if one of the inside mids goes down.

I think if we lose Miles it will be due to him wanting/accepting a trade, and good luck to him.

Lennon...meh...I think he's gone regardless.

Lloyd could be kept as depth, but again, could attract trade interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no Buddy clause in this contract?

Absolutely different scenarios as Richmond simply re-signed him. No other club was involved as North's offer was passed on. If Martin accepted North's offer then it was up to Richmond to match (as per FA rules) but it never reached that stage.

Great get for Tigers.

Thems the breaks. You win some, you lose some. Adapt, re-load, and go again.

It doesn't make any logical sense IMO for an uncontacted outgoing player to have any currency (either by trade or compensation) for the club they're leaving. They're no longer contracted to the club, they're lost. Time spent managing your investment while it was yours isn't necessarily quantifiable, and you are also "compensated" for that through the player's performance while under contract to you.

I think the AFL and its fans need to get their head around the concept of a loss, in terms of list management and free agency. Not everything needs some "evening-up" balance action or equality measure. Sometimes there needs to be a consequence without a bail-out or safety net.
I agree, but the AFL isn't a mature enough competition for that yet. The free agency requirements are too long and the culture is very against players moving clubs. The age needs to drop and then we will see payers more willing to move for more money. I also think clubs need the power to trade players without consent, though the wages aren't high enough for that yet.

I agree, but the AFL isn't a mature enough competition for that yet. The free agency requirements are too long and the culture is very against players moving clubs. The age needs to drop and then we will see payers more willing to move for more money. I also think clubs need the power to trade players without consent, though the wages aren't high enough for that yet.

Yeah I think they're changes we need to progressively work towards.

Ideally, there would have been a plan or framework in place to get there within x number of years from the commencement of free agency, staggering the impact and culture shift within the comp, but for whatever reason the AFL never did that.

Won't be a rookie list soon.

I don't really see the need for it now TBH, aside from salary purposes.

Miles i agree with but the chances are he will get an offer from another team that can give him more senior games and will want to leave, Lennon provides nothing and not even depth - Townsend is better value than Lennon and next year Moore will be past him also and probably a draftee or Traded player

We will have 3 players promoted Castagna,Moore and probably Stengle as well as 3 new players

Also didnt mention all 8 players will be gone more than likely 5/6

so definitely gone
Maric..retired
Hunt delisted
Morris delisted
Elton delisted ??
Trades maybe
Miles trade??
Lennon????
Lloyd???
Bachelor... Depth maybe..

If we are good enough and start a period of dominance like Hawthorn and Geelong have then players will settle for a little less to stay a part of a power team. If we are not good enough then keeping aging guns moving into their 30s won't matter.

Isn't it great to be a Tiger fan, if we are going too well lets start a new impractical pessimistic post and stick a broom stick up our own backsides ...

This is a problem for every club, you worry about it when you have to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back