The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we're going to go hard for someone and give up Pick 6, I'd rather it's Lynch than Lever.

Agreed.
Lynch improves us a lot more than Lever would.

Seriously should be having a massive crack at him. Use anything possible.
Supporter as a kid, family supported/supports the club.
$$$$$$$
Career path after footy etc

Lynch and Moore up forward is genuinely exciting.

HF - Wells Moore Sidebottom
F - Elliott Lynch Fasolo

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Agreed.
Lynch improves us a lot more than Lever would.

Seriously should be having a massive crack at him. Use anything possible.
Supporter as a kid, family supported/supports the club.
$$$$$$$
Career path after footy etc

Lynch and Moore up forward is genuinely exciting.

HF - Wells Moore Sidebottom
F - Elliott Lynch Fasolo

Honeslty, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moore go to CHB if we were to get Lynch.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lynch is an exciting and tantalising dream, we will have to give up too much to land him.

That is always supposing that the AFL allows it . . . Stripping an expansion club of their major star and draw card???

They will never allow it.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Honeslty, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moore go to CHB if we were to get Lynch.

I would be just because I think it means Reid would go back. I reckon it would mean Goldsack loses his spot to Reid.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Throw this guy a Buddy like contract.

Give him 8 yrs or whatever the f ever at 1 to 1.2 million a yr.

Let's be f bold for a change instead of f around with Wells Mayne and Dunn like deals.

I reckon we just need to give him your wheels with it's sweet subwoofer. Should get him across the line.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL how often does it need to be repeated.
He is a marquee player for an expansion club that should never have been opened.
The AFL can't afford for it to fail.
The AFL won't allow a trade to happen.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LOL how often does it need to be repeated.
He is a marquee player for an expansion club that should never have been opened.
The AFL can't afford for it to fail.
The AFL won't allow a trade to happen.

Has he already been made an ambassador? I thought that was just an option thrown out there by th AFL.

good4footy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Ham
Has he already been made an ambassador? I thought that was just an option thrown out there by th AFL.

This.
Pies have offered $1.5M for 5 years. The AFL have said you sign on with GC and we will look after you with an ambassador payment. The ambassador role is dependant on him extending his current contract. Gill was clear the discussion happens after he signs on.

Throw this guy a Buddy like contract.

Give him 8 yrs or whatever the f ever at 1 to 1.2 million a yr.

Let's be f bold for a change instead of f around with Wells Mayne and Dunn like deals.
Give him the balance of our cap, hopefully 2-3 mill in the first year and something more realistic for the the following years

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
This.
Pies have offered $1.5M for 5 years. The AFL have said you sign on with GC and we will look after you with an ambassador payment. The ambassador role is dependant on him extending his current contract. Gill was clear the discussion happens after he signs on.

There was some interesting listening on SEN just then. Rocket said money is unlikely to be the motivating factor for him. He also spoke about Lynch being loyal and success will be high on the agenda if he does leave. He danced around the discussion well given he'd obviously know his situation well.

To me that suggests we might be in with a shot. Any club he chooses needs to have the currency and a chance at success in the next few years which to me is us, Carlton or North. I think the other two are too far back success wise so it all depends on how hard we're prepared to chase him i.e. are we prepared to include an Adams, Sidebottom or JDG? Thank Christ Hawthorn sold the farm for O'Meara!

Last edited:

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Give him the balance of our cap, hopefully 2-3 mill in the first year and something more realistic for the the following years
Yeah throw the entire budget at him why don't we - sack all the trainers and fitness staff, the whole box and dice.

FFS he's not the messiah, he's just a naughty boy . . .

who happens to kick goals.

Then if he tears an Achilles or something we can just fold the club and play tiddly winks.

Whoever gets Tom Lynch (almost certain he leaves at end of next season) won't go far.

If Collingwood (for example) get Lynch we will be paying 3 players (Pendles, Treloar and Lynch) over 30% of our entire salary cap (based on 2018 increase to 12.45m).

You still have to pay up to another 40 players with about 70% of the remaining salary cap.

Yeah it won't work.

We will improve to a point, but not to the point of being a premiership contender. Sorry we just won't.

And the other factor is, you are then unable to go out and further recruit anyone on significant money because you will have to use every cent you have left to maintain the playing list you have.

I'd love Lynch at FF, don't get me wrong, but not at $1.8 million a year, which is what it will cost, because Carlton are going to offer $2 million and he's not going anywhere else unless the offer is close to that.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Whoever gets Tom Lynch (almost certain he leaves at end of next season) won't go far.

If Collingwood (for example) get Lynch we will be paying 3 players (Pendles, Treloar and Lynch) over 30% of our entire salary cap (based on 2018 increase to 12.45m).

You still have to pay up to another 40 players with about 70% of the remaining salary cap.

Yeah it won't work.

We will improve to a point, but not to the point of being a premiership contender. Sorry we just won't.

And the other factor is, you are then unable to go out and further recruit anyone on significant money because you will have to use every cent you have left to maintain the playing list you have.

I'd love Lynch at FF, don't get me wrong, but not at $1.8 million a year, which is what it will cost, because Carlton are going to offer $2 million and he's not going anywhere else unless the offer is close to that.

If Pendles is on circa $1 million by the time 2019 roles around forget Lynch, Lever or any other name because that is a balls up. At 31 you just can't be paying a guy that much and expect to be a serious contender unless he's the type you can build a team around aka Buddy.

Last edited:
If Pendles is on circa $1 million by the time 2019 roles around forget Lynch, Lever or any other name because that is a **** up of monumental proportions. At 31 you just can't be paying a guy that much and expect to be a serious contender unless he's the type you can build a team around aka Buddy.
Can't see Pendles taking a pay cut really, at least a significant one. The one thing about Pendles (and at the moment Treloar) salaries are they are the two players at Collingwood on significant money outside the cap due to the promotions exemption.

And this is also another thing with Tom Lynch, he's a terrible media perofrmer, I mean woeful, think Gary Ablett Jnr combined with Travis Cloke.

There's no doubt whoever gets Lynch will want some of his massive salary exempt from the SC due to promotions, but it's going to be hard to justify when he just isn't a good media performer at all.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yeah it won't work.

So you think we can't have 3 good players in one team? lol. There's no way Lynch will sign for that much, he's smart enough to know it'd be selfish and ruin our club's chances of challenging for a flag.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
So you think we can't have 3 good players in one team? lol. There's no way Lynch will sign for that much, he's smart enough to know it'd be selfish and ruin our club's chances of challenging for a flag.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all personally. I think it's more that you can't have three on that sort of coin. Unfortunately with both Treloar and Lynch (if we landed him) coming in from opposition clubs you need to pay a premium to get them across the line which will do nasty things to your salary cap in the long term.

Personally Lynch won't move for that sort of money if he leaves and it'll be around the Fyfe mark, but still we'd be the only club paying three players circa 30% of the salary cap, IMO. The nearest would be Richmond with Rance, Martin and Cotchin. To afford Martin they shed Deledio and none of the three were recruited from another club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back