What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok so going forward we offer crameri 2years, change up the forward structure - starting with game plan and coaches
come back sober and train like we are serious
and given the list the head coach and the depth
win another premiership- without stringer just like in 2016;)

Btw:Stringers inability to separate private from proffessional is stringers problem not the clubs
He is a proffessional athlete, and from what is obvious (re:mitch wallis' incredible comments two days ago) he has become toxic to the well being of the team
18 months of ""ball watching"" and indifference
Sorry Jake i love u ........., but u overstepped the mark
Well done to LB and co. in drawing the line

now what can we get for jakey?

So, we all criticised Carlton for letting Fev get away with bad behaviour. There was a lack of discipline at Carlton, Bevo is not letting that happen at our club.

I feel sorry for Stringer, going through a relationship break up, both very young and having two young children and the narcissistic nature of his ex, makes it look a difficult situation. However, he should have picked himself up and got back into it, football is a tough business, you can't afford to lose an edge.

I just wonder if his old coach Macca might get into Goodwin's ear.

So, we all criticised Carlton for letting Fev get away with bad behaviour. There was a lack of discipline at Carlton, Bevo is not letting that happen at our club.

I feel sorry for Stringer, going through a relationship break up, both very young and having two young children and the narcissistic nature of his ex, makes it look a difficult situation. However, he should have picked himself up and got back into it, football is a tough business, you can't afford to lose an edge.

I just wonder if his old coach Macca might get into Goodwin's ear.

Punish him. Suspend him. Fine him.
Trading is an absolute last resort.

Bevo could not have handled the Herald-Sun interview any better in my view.

Well done on protecting the trade value of the player and on protecting the integrity of the club, while also not backing us into a corner should the trade offers disappoint, or there be some miraculous change of heart on the clubs part. We have an exit strategy if it all goes pear shaped, as bridges haven't been completely burned. A master class Bevo...kudos!

So disappointed with the news about the club and Jake Stringer wanting to part ways.
Despite regular reports to the contrary over the years, I think that dedication and professionalism have rarely been a significant problem at our club.
A lack of money and talent, has been much more influential.

in fact a few of our recent coaches could be accused of being over zealous, and cultivating an environment which couldn't tolerate talented players whose attitude may have differed a little from the cult like obedience and conformity the club leadership demanded.

How dare Aker perform handstands for adoring young fans, or voice opinions in the media? Regardless of his consummate professionalism on the field, the club couldn't handle such a unique individual, and they proceeded to let a bunch of lesser players essentially blame their failure on his lack of conformity! Everyone involved in that sorry saga should still hang their heads in shame.

Now we have a young unique character with enormous talent, who's dedication may have wavered a bit during a very tough period in his personal life, and the Club's approach to look to trade him rather than trying to manage the situation.

Here's hoping that someone comes to their senses before trade week.

So disappointed with the news about the club and Jake Stringer wanting to part ways.
Despite regular reports to the contrary over the years, I think that dedication and professionalism have rarely been a significant problem at our club.

in fact a few of our recent coaches could be accused of being over zealous, and cultivating an environment which couldn't tolerate talented players whose attitude may have differed a little from the cult like obedience and conformity the club leadership demanded.

How dare Aker perform handstands for adoring young fans, or voice opinions in the media? Regardless of his consummate professionalism on the field, the club couldn't handle such a unique individual, and they proceeded to let a bunch of lesser players essentially blame their failure on his lack of conformity! Everyone involved in that sorry saga should still hang their heads in shame.

Now we have a young unique character with enormous talent, who's dedication may have wavered a bit during a very tough period in his personal life, and the Club's approach to look to trade him rather than trying to manage the situation.

Just as disappointed as you and many others are, but my angst is directed mostly at Jake. He's not even in the same league in terms of professionalism as your poster boy Aker was, or other big fish with baggage like Bazza was, and after years of trying to assist him in managing the admittedly tough situation he's in the club have finally realised that you can't help those who refuse to help themselves. Had Jake come out of that interview with libba's attitude, beating his breast and swearing to work harder, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The good news is, it's not too late for Jake to cop it on the chin, admit he needs to work on himself, roll his sleeves up and become the absolute superstar he is meant to be. Now we see what he is made of - is he a mature, hard-working, loyal teammate and clubman, or a lazy, mercurial mercenary who is too thin skinned to ever improve and realize his potential? Over to you, Jake.

How do you know they haven't been working at it for a year and the best thing personally for him is to have a fresh start?

Remember all those old coaches we used to have like Joyce, Wheeler, Eade, Wallace etc? The ones who weren't afraid of giving players a bake and a spray? The ones who cultivated a culture in the dressing room where the players called some of the shots and the senior players formed a cabal?

They all had something in common, didn't they? They didn't win anything.

2xjnk.jpeg

First McCartney and now Bev are the first coaches who don't seem afraid of giving senior players news that they don't want to hear. And I bloody love it.

It's unfortunate but necessary that one of the more talented players on the list has to go first, but I don't have a problem with it at all. Bev won us a premiership by changing the culture of this club in a short space of time.Now that he has established that 'team first' ethos, he needs to f**k off any players who can't conform to this standard.

I back him. I get the impression that he's a man you wouldn't want to cross and who might bear a grudge, but no-one's perfect. He has turned this club around; at the first hint it has started turning back to the old s**t he's taken steps to prevent it. I back him to the hilt and beyond.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as disappointed as you and many others are, but my angst is directed mostly at Jake. He's not even in the same league in terms of professionalism as your poster boy Aker was, or other big fish with baggage like Bazza was, and after years of trying to assist him in managing the admittedly tough situation he's in the club have finally realised that you can't help those who refuse to help themselves. Had Jake come out of that interview with libba's attitude, beating his breast and swearing to work harder, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The good news is, it's not too late for Jake to cop it on the chin, admit he needs to work on himself, roll his sleeves up and become the absolute superstar he is meant to be. Now we see what he is made of - is he a mature, hard-working, loyal teammate and clubman, or a lazy, mercurial mercenary who is too thin skinned to ever improve and realize his potential? Over to you, Jake.

The bad news is that the club and Jake have both essentially backed themselves into a corner from which neither is likely to budge for fear of further embarrassment. The club should have handled the issue in a manner that avoided ending up in this position.

I would rank Jake in the top 2 players at the club in terms of talent and potential importance. The defiant attitude that he displays on and off the field is part of his character and part of what makes him a great player. We should be able to cope with and still nurture players of that personality type.

Not everyone is like Dale Morris, and we shouldn't expect them to be.

I think that one of the reasons so many of our players choke in front of goal, is because the obedient hard working personality types the club tends to favour, seem to also display high levels of anxiety. Arrogant types aren't as worried about failure, and indeed often embrace the responsibility of the spotlight rather than being daunted by it.

For all the good things that have happened since Bev took over, I think he and his team need to take a good look at themselves over their own performance this year, in terms of player management.

The players aren't the only ones that need to lift their performance next year.

The bad news is that the club and Jake have both essentially backed themselves into a corner from which neither is likely to budge for fear of further embarrassment. The club should have handled the issue in a manner that avoided ending up in this position.

I would rank Jake in the top 2 players at the club in terms of talent and potential importance. The defiant attitude that he displays on and off the field is part of his character and part of what makes him a great player. We should be able to cope with and still nurture players of that personality type.

Not everyone is like Dale Morris, and we shouldn't expect them to be.

I think that one of the reasons so many of our players choke in front of goal, is because the obedient hard working personality types the club tends to favour, seem to also display high levels of anxiety. Arrogant types aren't as worried about failure, and indeed often embrace the responsibility of the spotlight rather than being daunted by it.

For all the good things that have happened since Bev took over, I think he and his team need to take a good look at themselves over their own performance this year, in terms of player management.

The players aren't the only ones that need to lift their performance next year.

I don't necessarily disagree with the gist of this post, as I think there was a certain level of arrogance and/or complacency from the coaching group in relation to team selection, game plan and approach to certain games. Although as many others have said we genuinely don't know how long this has been an issue and maybe the club has just had enough. It is strange how it's playing out but I'll reserve judgement until we know more.

Re. certain personality types being more anxious than others and that affecting goal kicking - isn't Stringer one of the worst set shots in the comp? He's been no more reliable than any others. Plus Bontempelli seems pretty assured to me and he was woeful in front of goal this year. Seems like a malaise across the club rather than certain types/groups of players.

I don't necessarily disagree with the gist of this post, as I think there was a certain level of arrogance and/or complacency from the coaching group in relation to team selection, game plan and approach to certain games. Although as many others have said we genuinely don't know how long this has been an issue and maybe the club has just had enough. It is strange how it's playing out but I'll reserve judgement until we know more.

Re. certain personality types being more anxious than others and that affecting goal kicking - isn't Stringer one of the worst set shots in the comp? He's been no more reliable than any others. Plus Bontempelli seems pretty assured to me and he was woeful in front of goal this year. Seems like a malaise across the club rather than certain types/groups of players.

Whilst I agree that Stringer isn't a great set shot, he actually wants to take the shots on goal which already puts him in front of most of his current team mates.

Gees

You are opening up a can of worms correlating personality types with goal kicking ability, then giving our players (whom we don't really know) personality types that fit the stereotype we have of them.

I would have thought goal kicking is like putting in golf- a combination of confidence and technique. The reason Tory Dickson is our best set shot by miles is that his technique is flawless not his level of arrogance.

It should also be noted that narcissists who are the most arrogant of all people (heaven forbid we have any at our club), are actually really insecure people who lack confidence- they just blame everybody else and make up excuses. I'm guessing arrogant narcissists are crap kicks for goal- though I have never seen Donald Trump shoot for goal which would be interesting.

Ps in 2014 and 2015 Stringer was a brilliant shot at goal. Don't know what happened after that- suspect he lost confidence not became less arrogant ( which I'm not sure is anyway)

The bad news is that the club and Jake have both essentially backed themselves into a corner from which neither is likely to budge for fear of further embarrassment.

really - do you actually believe this?

Luke Beveridge says decision to trade Jake Stringer was mutual between club and player
Mark Robinson, Herald Sun
WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he acted in the greater interests of the club in deciding to move on forward Jake Stringer.
In his first comments on the stunning split, Beveridge told theHerald Sun his premiership forward ultimately agreed he would be better suited elsewhere.
The only scenario which would see Stringer, 23, remain at the Bulldogs would be if a trade deal didn’t satisfy the club.
“Jake’s management and the club got together and both agreed we’d explore alternatives to him playing at the club and explore what’s right for his long-term future and the club’s,’’ Beveridge told the Herald Sun.
“It’s as simple as that ... I’m not going into details.”
Stringer’s football issues centre around a lack of professionalism in preparation, at training and the rehabilitation of injuries.
Luke Beveridge talks to Jake Stringer at Bulldogs training. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
They are compounded by a litany of off-field issues, ranging from his personal situation with his former partner, the stresses of being a young father, to behavioural concerns.
Beveridge conceded the decision to trade his one-time All-Australian forward was a tough one.
“It is because first and foremost I operate from a platform of care and duty to our players and I’ve got to look after the whole group,” the coach said.
“But when it comes to the point where both parties are saying maybe it’s best to explore somewhere else, it means then it’s right for that individual, but it’s also right for the group he’s going to leave behind.”
A worthy trade would have to be organised, Beveridge said.
“Ultimately, he’s still a contracted player,” he said.
Luke Beveridge after speaking to his players during Round 23.
“We’re not going to just say ‘Here you go, you can have Jake Stringer’. We’ve said to him, you’re going to play here mate if no one is going to treat you with the respect you should have as far as what you have achieved, because we need to do what’s right for the club as much as you as well.
“We’ll try to work it out together.
“You asked if it’s irretrievable. It’s not. Ultimately, (if) Jake is still playing at the football club, then we’ve just got to work through that next year, of maturity and what it looks like for him, and see how we go.’’
Stringer has kicked 160 goals in 89 games after being taken at pick No.5 in the 2012 national draft.
Essendon and Geelong are reportedly Stringer’s preferred destinations, although it’s understood several clubs have made inquiries to Stringer’s manager Paul Connors.
St Kilda coach Alan Richardson said last week the Saints were interested in talking to Stringer.
Jake Stringer after injuring his hamstring in the loss to Port Adelaide.
Earning about $500,000 a season and with a year to run on his contract, the trade value for Stringer is anywhere between pick No.10 and pick No.25, depending on whether you highlight his qualities or deficiencies.
Connors refused to comment.
Beveridge said Stringer had unique challenges as a player and person and that the club had supported him through difficult times.
“Each player is presented with a different set of challenges,” he said.
“He’s obviously become a high-profile player very early in the piece and when you think of his life, having two young daughters, obviously going through settlement proceedings because he’s not married, and being a boy from the bush, and the city life ... he’s got a lot on his plate, a lot of challenges.
“And maybe it takes a little while to be able to get on top of those things. But he’s got unique challenges a lot of players haven’t had in the game.’’
Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Liberatore after the Bulldogs premiership.
Beveridge denied reports Stringer stormed out of his end-of-season exit interview.
“When I heard about it, I chuckled,” Beveridge said.
“He didn’t at all. We chatted more about family and future, he has two little girls and about what’s next for him, and we walked out as amicable as we ever have been.
“We’ve always had a good relationship, we still have, there’s no heat.
“The thing about exit meetings is there’s no surprises. Jake wasn’t surprised by anything we said or anything he mentioned to us in so far as what he’s going to work on and what are his strengths, so that was all fine.
“That was purely a fabrication.”
Cant help but feel he's told a little lie in there Bevo. Ask Michael Talia if there's no surprises in exit meetings.

Cant help but feel he's told a little lie in there Bevo. Ask Michael Talia if there's no surprises in exit meetings.

This whole issue has been festering for at least 12 months. It didn't just reveal itself at the exit interview. Sounds like they didn't really discuss footy anyway- what would have been the point, as I'm sure Stringer would received feedback during the year.

really - do you actually believe this?

The fear of public embarrassment is one of the strongest that people experience, which is why most people are scared of public speaking.

Once people say things in public they are typically very reluctant to change their stated position, lest they look foolish.

If you were to analyse our performance this season and identity the type of player that the team needs most to make a difference next year, I think you might come up with a hypothetical someone that approximates Jake Stringer.

What reason would you give for not trying to keep him and get the best out of him?

Punish him. Suspend him. Fine him.
Trading is an absolute last resort.
Unfortunately IM, this is where we are at. Without having any knowledge of what has happened behind closed doors, it sounds like we have tried all of the above and we are at the last resort now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back