2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone really think we would get Pick 2 as compo if Rocky leaves?

Seriously?
No, but if they pay him enough it is possible, but I can't see the AFL letting GCs pick be too diluted.

Since finishing last and second last generally pleases the AFL.

Does anyone really think we would get Pick 2 as compo if Rocky leaves?

Seriously?
Yes it is possible. He only has to be in the top 5% of player payments to get it. As someone has said 800 afl players, 5% is 40 players. If you think there are 40 players getting more than a mil a year i think ya wrong. 800-850k a year will do it, and with the shortage of quality players available it now, teams like port, st kilda, essendon etc on the cusp will climb over each other to get him for a cpl of years.

But has Hodge got anything left? If he did, the onfield leadership alone would be worth it, he is like having a coach on the field, plus a guy who has been there done that.

The thing that always struck me about Hodge was the better the opposition the better he played.

The longer this plays out the better for us and rocky i beleive. Im sure rocky will leave if an adequate contract comes his way. And im sure that adequate contract will land him in the top 5%. Otherwise it wont be worth it for him (securing a financial future for his family) and us (will lose a gun and not much in return).

Either way if he stays or goes i think its a win win.

Think the point was that, on the long road back from the many injuries he's had, he was starting to recapture form in the last couple of rounds. Looked like an AFL player again.
The problem for Claye is it has robbed him of the speed necessary to impact and get to contests. If the ball doesn't land in his lap or immediate area he is non existent. We need forwards that can apply some decent pressure.
Even his over hyped kicking ability doesn't materialise any more- lacks distance now where he used to be able to roost it a fair way.

Our offer is our offer, it is up to Rocky what he wants to do, but I don't think us getting pick 2 will be in his thinking at all. Especially since it is more secret formula than KFC.
I meant that if an opposition offer is enough to net us pick 2 (~850k+?) we will kinda push him out IMO. Time will tell but I think Rocky will stay anyways.

The problem for Claye is it has robbed of the speed necessary to impact and get to contests. If the ball doesn't land in his lap or immediate area he is non existent. We need forwards that can apply some decent pressure.
Even his over hyped kicking ability doesn't materialise any more- lacks distance now where he used to be able to roost it a fair way.
I generally agree although with a decent run without injuries it is possible he will get some speed back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant that if an opposition offer is enough to net us pick 2 (~850k+?) we will kinda push him out IMO. Time will tell but I think Rocky will stay anyways.
You would think only teams challenging for a flag in the immediate future would offer that cash... who does that leave ? Crows? Dogs? Bombers?

I for one think it is a good thing if we don't turn over 25% of our list every year. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of players we haven't fully made decisions on yet and could be off the list at future lodgement dates but slowing the turnover down leaves us better placed for stability and improvement of what we've got. We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater every year and expect to see improvement in the list. We've had enough years of experience decline that we need to start aging up and increasing our number of games experience year on year, and hopefully, this one was rock bottom for us in more than just ladder position.

Last edited:
Would we take Hodge for 1 year if it means he takes Claye Beams' spot on the list?

Personally, I would, but it would stir some earnest discussion.

Could Hodge's on field leadership, if even playing for 1 year, show our team how you have to play to win a premiership?

I think yes. He doesn't have to be part of our next premiership team but he could play a big part in helping our players develop to win a premiership.
Especially since you would think Fages is going to mirror some Hawthorn structures, a year of Hodge on field showing the guys what to do in the heat of battle rather than just training could fast track their understanding and take the heat off Harris for a year before he takes over as the leader of the backs (again).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back