Status
Not open for further replies.

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Don't watch to much Geelong , but how does Darcy Lang go ? from memory he was a pick 13 in the Kolo draft , so must be only 20 or 21 , must have 50 games under his belt , would he be worth a cheap pick ?

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Don't watch to much Geelong , but how does Darcy Lang go ? from memory he was a pick 13 in the Kolo draft , so must be only 20 or 21 , must have 50 games under his belt , would he be worth a cheap pick ?

Don't mind Darcy Lang, shows glimpses just hasn't put it altogether yet being in and out of the side.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Spoke to a Suns staff member tonight who said he definitely has asked for a trade and wants to go back but the club have major indigestion with the front end issues of the contract and need to be compensated accordingly somehow to tick it off, they are planning for him not to be here in 2018 though
None of this is news only that it is definite and has been discussed with club staff face to face openly in a private meeting
We know the wife wants to leave but his sister is also in some kind of trouble or having ongoing issues
I was also told GOD has been in trouble again too, this part is unconfirmed though

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Spoke to a Suns staff member tonight who said he definitely has asked for a trade and wants to go back but the club have major indigestion with the front end issues of the contract and need to be compensated accordingly somehow to tick it off, they are planning for him not to be here in 2018 though
None of this is news only that it is definite and has been discussed with club staff face to face openly in a private meeting
We know the wife wants to leave but his sister is also in some kind of trouble or having ongoing issues
I was also told GOD has been in trouble again too, this part is unconfirmed though

We could fix it up here if they wanted help.
Best Clinic in the Country by miles is here on the GC in Currumbin.
Just ask Ricky Nixon.
What a shame. Of course the culture is always so superior in Geelong. Just go ask the self-entitled fans.

Pity that superior Sickeningly elitist Catter Culture has not reached out and helped the pair of them.

Good Luck to the Ugly Ducks hopefully they give them what they richly deserve.

Last edited:

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nice stuff Rockford quoting me on the Catters thread.
Look forward to your next effort after you get eliminated in straight sets tomorrow.
Keep using me for a bit of self-righteousness over there.

Textbook patronising comment which proves again my point about the sickening elitism.

Just wait till tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Nice stuff Rockford quoting me on the Catters thread.
Look forward to your next effort after you get eliminated in straight sets tomorrow.
Keep using me for a bit of self-righteousness over there.

Textbook patronising comment which proves again my point about the sickening elitism.

Just wait till tomorrow.

Not at all. I'm genuinely concerned, there's no patronising or elitism.

I'm floored a bit by the expectation some supporters have that they're "owed" something significant for Gary when the AFL paid a large chunk of his salary to help establish your club. Was he paid well? Yes. Did he knowingly make large sacrifices to go to the Gold Coast and aim to help establish a club? Definitely. Is it fair that he walked into the cultural and coaching issues that were in place when he arrived? I'd say no, but then I don't think it's fair for you guys either that it happened, just surprising that the blame has been laid at Ablett's feet. Don't get me wrong, he's your player, so do as you like, but the "message" that you're sending might not be the one you're hoping for. And an expectation that you'll get a future first round pick and a player is pretty extreme. There's no trade that will satisfy both parties, Ablett will most likely retire and football in general will be poorer for it. I'd say most neutrals would see that as a disappointment, but from what I've seen here it'll be something you celebrate as a "win". That's a bit sad as an outcome IMO.

Meanwhile, you're reveling in the likelihood we get eliminated from the Finals tomorrow, so I'll take whatever you've got to say with a pinch of salt. Enjoy the game.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I'm floored a bit by the expectation some supporters have that they're "owed" something significant for Gary when the AFL paid a large chunk of his salary to help establish your club. Was he paid well? Yes. Did he knowingly make large sacrifices to go to the Gold Coast and aim to help establish a club? Definitely. Is it fair that he walked into the cultural and coaching issues that were in place when he arrived? I'd say no, but then I don't think it's fair for you guys either that it happened, just surprising that the blame has been laid at Ablett's feet. Don't get me wrong, he's your player, so do as you like, but the "message" that you're sending might not be the one you're hoping for. And an expectation that you'll get a future first round pick and a player is pretty extreme. There's no trade that will satisfy both parties, Ablett will most likely retire and football in general will be poorer for it. I'd say most neutrals would see that as a disappointment, but from what I've seen here it'll be something you celebrate as a "win". That's a bit sad as an outcome IMO.

Meanwhile, you're reveling in the likelihood we get eliminated from the Finals tomorrow, so I'll take whatever you've got to say with a pinch of salt. Enjoy the game.
Mate Ablett owes the Suns big time and I'm not just talking about the 1.5 million he was a poor captain didn't set team standards only worried about himself didn't make people feel welcome at the club.
Only had time for his god squad.
Refused to play multiple times when he was ticked off by multiple doctors.
Is that enough I could go all night ?

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Mate Ablett owes the Suns big time and I'm not just talking about the 1.5 million he was a poor captain didn't set team standards only worried about himself didn't make people feel welcome at the club.
Only had time for his god squad.
Refused to play multiple time when he was ticked off by multiple doctors.
Is that enough I could go all night ?

I'm surprised he was made captain. He hadn't shown any indication that he was going to be a good leader. You've got a guy that won a Brownlow playing at your club who was thrust into a leadership role without any support. And no mentoring going on at a coaching level. I know someone who worked for the Suns in the early years and some of what they've told me indicates that the AFL let the Suns down and the people put into certain roles weren't competent and were left to their own devices until it was essentially too late. Ablett isn't the reason it happened, but it's understandable he'll be the scapegoat with him wanting to leave.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm surprised he was made captain. He hadn't shown any indication that he was going to be a good leader. You've got a guy that won a Brownlow playing at your club who was thrust into a leadership role without any support. And no mentoring going on at a coaching level. I know someone who worked for the Suns in the early years and some of what they've told me indicates that the AFL let the Suns down and the people put into certain roles weren't competent and were left to their own devices until it was essentially too late. Ablett isn't the reason it happened, but it's understandable he'll be the scapegoat with him wanting to leave.
Ablett wanted the captaincy even made the Suns put it in his contract

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ablett wouldn't have come without being captain.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett wouldn't have come without being captain.

I know that was a big factor, but I think he needed more support. Especially knowing he wasn't the best out-and-out leader. Geelong weren't going to make him captain. Ablett was more an inspirational player than a people manager and he could lift those around him with an inspirational piece of play (as I'm sure you've no doubt witnessed). I think he went up there with the best intentions, I'm sure most people involved with the club had the best intentions but you can see how things have panned out. It's why the AFL gave so much more to GWS (and overreacted really) when they didn't need to. Just having Sheedy involved was a big factor for them IMO. Williams as an assistant coach. And then Cameron doing basically an apprenticeship under Sheeds. There's a lot of "ifs, buts and maybes", I don't think it's fair to lay it at Ablett's feet though given the state of things that he walked into.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know that was a big factor, but I think he needed more support. Especially knowing he wasn't the best out-and-out leader. Geelong weren't going to make him captain. Ablett was more an inspirational player than a people manager and he could lift those around him with an inspirational piece of play (as I'm sure you've no doubt witnessed). I think he went up there with the best intentions, I'm sure most people involved with the club had the best intentions but you can see how things have panned out. It's why the AFL gave so much more to GWS (and overreacted really) when they didn't need to. Just having Sheedy involved was a big factor for them IMO. Williams as an assistant coach. And then Cameron doing basically an apprenticeship under Sheeds. There's a lot of "ifs, buts and maybes", I don't think it's fair to lay it at Ablett's feet though given the state of things that he walked into.
I'm not as big of an Ablett critic as others but i think in hindsight, almost everything would have been done differently

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Why are you floored?

He accepted a three-year contract, and two years into that heavily front-loaded contract, reportedly wants to back out of that original agreement. That's why there's a sense that we're "owed", because he literally owes us one more year on his contract. No ifs. No buts.

I don't lay any blame on GAJ for managerial woes. That's squarely on our administration. We're not a rabble due to GAJ. He's played valiantly when he's gotten on the park, and he's grown as a leader and spokesman for our club - if you watch old footage of GAJ speaking on behalf of the Suns, comparing it to now, you'll appreciate how far he's come along.

But he still owes the club a third year. We can try to facilitate a trade, but that's under the proviso that we're able to make it work for our club - in the same way, Geelong's open to getting GAJ so long as it works for their club. If that's not able to happen, and GAJ is able to play another year (however, chooses to retire despite having a year remaining on his contract), that'd be pretty poor to back out of an agreement like that.

Mind you, I don't like the vitriol being levelled at GAJ at the moment. There hasn't been any official trade at this time, and as supporters, we really know nothing. He hasn't announced his retirement. So if GAJ ends up playing next year for the Suns, there'll be a lot of supporters with egg on their face. That'd be damn embarrassing.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Why are you floored?

He accepted a three-year contract, and two years into that heavily front-loaded contract, reportedly wants to back out of that original agreement. That's why there's a sense that we're "owed", because he literally owes us one more year on his contract. No ifs. No buts.

I don't lay any blame on GAJ for managerial woes. That's squarely on our administration. We're not a rabble due to GAJ. He's played valiantly when he's gotten on the park, and he's grown as a leader and spokesman for our club - if you watch old footage of GAJ speaking on behalf of the Suns, comparing it to now, you'll appreciate how far he's come along.

But he still owes the club a third year. We can try to facilitate a trade, but that's under the proviso that we're able to make it work for our club - in the same way, Geelong's open to getting GAJ so long as it works for their club. If that's not able to happen, and GAJ is able to play another year (however, chooses to retire despite having a year remaining on his contract), that'd be pretty poor to back out of an agreement like that.

Mind you, I don't like the vitriol being levelled at GAJ at the moment. There hasn't been any official trade at this time, and as supporters, we really know nothing. He hasn't announced his retirement. So if GAJ ends up playing next year for the Suns, there'll be a lot of supporters with egg on their face. That'd be damn embarrassing.

It's not so much that I'm floored that there are those that expect something in return for his last year of his contract.. that's a given. More so that there are those that expect a future first rounder plus a player. I'll be surprised if our clubs facilitate a trade. It will, as you say, boil down to Gary either playing on at the Suns or retiring to deal with his family issues.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
It's not so much that I'm floored that there are those that expect something in return for his last year of his contract.. that's a given. More so that there are those that expect a future first rounder plus a player. I'll be surprised if our clubs facilitate a trade. It will, as you say, boil down to Gary either playing on at the Suns or retiring to deal with his family issues.
A first rounder and a player is about as unrealistic as a 3rd rounder

It will be somewhere in the middle

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

Was the someone who worked for the Suns early days now down in the Cats football department

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Essentially all you are is an entitled Fat Cat that wants to pick up an impoverished struggling battlers most prized asset for nothing.
When you cut away all your crap about family issues, age etc that is all that's going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back