Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Man what are people getting upset about anyway. Just the mere idea that Conor was more than willing to move clubs if the offer was better? Well it seems like we did change our offer to reflect this and so now he's staying. Good for Conor.
Because it simply wasn't true. I know for a fact Connor was after a bit more security which is what he got. It never got to the stage where it looked like he was a chance of leaving and anyone that says Ess had to greatly increase their $$ is full of it or is ill informed.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

And if you think I'm full of it check my posting history on ess players contract talks.

The point is, I don't think bigdog43 or foj1 have said anything outrageous yet people jumped at bigdog43 in particular (probably because he's a Carlton supporter). Conor got the contract he wanted, I doubt Essendon really wanted to give someone who has played 33 games a four year deal so I think there's something there regarding the possibility of Conor leaving if we didn't get closer to Conor's ask, but they've decided to take the risk because he could be that good. And that's the end, everyone's happy, except for the clubs who had sensed a opportunity.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did they not both say he was basically gone until we stumped up a way bigger cash offer?
Not going to argue semantics but IMO this is outrageous because it is not even close to the truth of the matter.

The problem with internet rumours is that they're unsubstantiated. Bigdog43 PM'd me and told me what his source was. If true it'd be a very good sauce, but as with anything you read on the internet there's no guarantees.

No one here is putting their real name and real life reputation on the line for it, and even in the media when they do have reputations on the line they still publish some absolute tripe. As far as a Carlton supporter is concerned, they don't even have a reputation to maintain in the Essendon board. Most of us have never heard of them, so there's really nothing to judge them against except a rumour.

Reaction to the rumour is completely unsurprising in context.

At any rate, this thread is about McKenna. We don't need to kiss anyone's arses for posting a rumour. :rainbow:

---

The indisputable facts are that he didn't sign until now, and whatever the hold up was we got him over the line.

Money or years, we have an exceptionally skilled player who is not even at the peak of his powers yet, who would definitely have had inquiries from a number of clubs (unless they're all inept, it's the job of their recruiting departments to at least ask the question of his manager).

AND HE'S OURS!

Diddle dee dee potatoes :fourleaf:

The problem with internet rumours is that they're unsubstantiated. Bigdog43 PM'd me and told me what his source was. If true it'd be a very good sauce, but as with anything you read on the internet there's no guarantees.

No one here is putting their real name and real life reputation on the line for it, and even in the media when they do have reputations on the line they still publish some absolute tripe. As far as a Carlton supporter is concerned, they don't even have a reputation to maintain in the Essendon board. Most of us have never heard of them, so there's really nothing to judge them against except a rumour.

Reaction to the rumour is completely unsurprising in context.

At any rate, this thread is about McKenna. We don't need to kiss anyone's arses for posting a rumour. :rainbow:

---

The indisputable facts are that he didn't sign until now, and whatever the hold up was we got him over the line.

Money or years, we have an exceptionally skilled player who is not even at the peak of his powers yet, who would definitely have had inquiries from a number of clubs (unless they're all inept, it's the job of their recruiting departments to at least ask the question of his manager).

AND HE'S OURS!

Diddle dee dee potatoes :fourleaf:
All this is true. If you check my history re guys like Zaharakis, Parish, Gleeson, Laverde, Hurley (when he was 90% going to GC), and now McKenna I think you will find I have been extremely accurate in all facets right down to when an announcement is likely. This is why I get frustrated when I read stuff I know is be.

And yes, I will move on now. Great result for us to lock in this young gun for 4 seasons.

All this is true. If you check my history re guys like Zaharakis, Parish, Gleeson, Laverde, Hurley (when he was 90% going to GC), and now McKenna I think you will find I have been extremely accurate in all facets right down to when an announcement is likely. This is why I get frustrated when I read stuff I know is be.

To be honest, I don't remember any of those things, but I also don't usually read anything you write and automatically think it's rubbish either... At least not so far as this sort of stuff is concerned (I'm sure we've disagreed on the form of various players in the past :p )

To be honest, I don't remember any of those things, but I also don't usually read anything you write and automatically think it's rubbish either... At least not so far as this sort of stuff is concerned (I'm sure we've disagreed on the form of various players in the past )
All good. This forum would be pretty damn boring if everyone agreed with each other.

As much fun as our arguments are, L2S definitely has somebody inside the club. He's been pretty accurate on many occassions.

And yes, I will move on now. Great result for us to lock in this young gun for 4 seasons.

If you could provide any updates on Stringer then, that would be awesome! (Not being a smartass either, genuinely keen for information from someone with insight).

So glad Connor signed on, especially after some other clubs had assigned him a new jumper number. Showed a lot of improvement this year and is fantastic to watch. Looking forward to seeing him next year with another preseason under his belt!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Called it btw... wonder what jacket Disco went with this time?
Have on good authority that it was "retro" 80's jacket.

2 things:
1) You have to wonder whether he will be paid way unders in year 3 or 4 because I think he will be that good. Maybe we will end up with a bargain?
2) Remember his first game, it was pre-season game against the Saints in Morwell. He was hilarious to watch and I'm sure everyone had scary flashbacks to Michael Quinn. He gave away the most basic 50m penalty after being pinged holding the ball. He just placed the ball on the ground instead of returning it on the full and he had no idea what he'd done wrong. They then showed the coaches box and Hirdy and the rest of the coaching team were cracking up. He's come a long way but I've believed he's had the goods since half way through last year.

2 things:
1) You have to wonder whether he will be paid way unders in year 3 or 4 because I think he will be that good. Maybe we will end up with a bargain?
2) Remember his first game, it was pre-season game against the Saints in Morwell. He was hilarious to watch and I'm sure everyone had scary flashbacks to Michael Quinn. He gave away the most basic 50m penalty after being pinged holding the ball. He just placed the ball on the ground instead of returning it on the full and he had no idea what he'd done wrong. They then showed the coaches box and Hirdy and the rest of the coaching team were cracking up. He's come a long way but I've believed he's had the goods since half way through last year.

1) I'd have no doubt in my mind by the end of next year he'd be underpaid based on performance and his worth to the side.

it is with my humblest inclinations that I pen this missive you tonight. For I have wronged you, and I feel I must offer what reparation I can.

I doubted you. Worse, I denigrated you, and spoke badly towards your person, and I damaged your good standing.

And I was wrong. I was greviously wrong.

So I address you now to offer my sincerest apologies, and to publicly state that I did treat you with the most misplaced of contempt, and that it reflects only mine own failings.

Dearest Conor, I beg that we may our this misfortune behind us, and I pledge to make this right.

I restore myself to your most humblest admirer, and I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Yours in the most humble of prostations,

Lance Uppercut esq

He listened, and more so, he re signed

Thanks Lance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back