Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
I agree with your points, But thats along way off and may not ever happen. My point was while there are currently 2 teams based in Launceston and 5 in Hobart, the northern sides will have an advantage. Good luck to them.

In a perfect world either 4 south, 2 north, 2 coast.
Or 5 south, 3 north, 2 coast.
But end off the day as you said the AFL need to pump more $$$ into the competition and junior development.

I think a better level & concentration of funding & thus a better ability to attract & reward the best talent, coaches & administrators is surely a more attractive proposition for the public & sponsors to take an interest in than the present situation.

One club per city/ municipality was a goal of AFLTas. They said that when they took to NHFC & HFC, they should be consistent & push for that. I know its tough but its clearly better than what we have now. Its reported that at least 3 clubs are trading in the red. Thats not a great indicator of a sustainable competition. I really cant see any club being 'in the pink' financially. At a guess I imagine the better clubs would be North Launceston, Glenorchy & Clarence. But it may be their not in all that good a position either. However the 2 northern clubs are clearly in a better position talent wise at least.

Sadly, both NWC clubs look in a mess. I hope they can be sorted out. Not just with money, but with a better structure of ressies & seniors together in the TSL.

Our little footy group have always liked the idea of a conference system. A northern 4 & a southern 4. So a club like Burnie would play home & away against the other northern 3 teams twice each, thats 12 games across the north, then home & away against the southern 4 for another 4 games in the north & travel to Hobart area 4 times. Thats a 20 game roster. You could reduce that to only playing the southern side once each, thats for a 16 game competition. That'd be even more sustainable with only 2 trips to Hobart, apart from finals of course.

I guess we'd really never know about the true position of club finances, but its certain the competition needs a good review & ideas on how to get stronger clubs & a stronger competition.

Sadly, AFL Tasmania have never really shown themselves to be 'imaginative'. So I guess they'll just plod along, as usual. Bereft of ideas or initiative. If they somehow have some ideas, they should talk to supporters, & listen. At least give us some confidence in whats going on.

Who got in that shouldn't have and who should replace them?

I think selectors have done a pretty good job. Holmes has had a good year for a rookie, but maybe the 22 and under team could be the spot for him. Nitpicking a bit but I reckon Siggins is a best 18 , maybe swap him and Standen. Bryce Walsh can count himself a bit unlucky, been more consistent than a few others. Coaches are spot on, Couch picks himself, Windy potentially has Bombers in GF and Webberley has Roos up from 7th to 2nd.

I think selectors have done a pretty good job. Holmes has had a good year for a rookie, but maybe the 22 and under team could be the spot for him. Nitpicking a bit but I reckon Siggins is a best 18 , maybe swap him and Standen. Bryce Walsh can count himself a bit unlucky, been more consistent than a few others. Coaches are spot on, Couch picks himself, Windy potentially has Bombers in GF and Webberley has Roos up from 7th to 2nd.

Agree, hard to find any glaring omissions, maybe a few unlucky but then so would be the ones who'd make way for them.

Agree, hard to find any glaring omissions, maybe a few unlucky but then so would be the ones who'd make way for them.

I believe the centreman from Glenorchy, Webb actually missed a lot of games with injury this season. My magpie mate was very suprised he got a look in. He was also miffed as to why ruckman Duffy missed out as he said he was very consistent & contributed well in every game he saw.

On another note I saw the MRP on utube of the young Lauderdale lad who got a week for a 'sling' tackle. I saw a dozen things on that MRP this year that were FAR worse IMO. Bloody pathetic inconsistency. Maybe a fine & a warning in that case. To get a week this time of year for that, was ridiculous.

I believe the centreman from Glenorchy, Webb actually missed a lot of games with injury this season. My magpie mate was very suprised he got a look in. He was also miffed as to why ruckman Duffy missed out as he said he was very consistent & contributed well in every game he saw.

On another note I saw the MRP on utube of the young Lauderdale lad who got a week for a 'sling' tackle. I saw a dozen things on that MRP this year that were FAR worse IMO. Bloody pathetic inconsistency. Maybe a fine & a warning in that case. To get a week this time of year for that, was ridiculous.

That wasn't the suspension, look again at the fella come in the other direction.

Bit harsh on Webb, your mate's eyes must be struggling, played 16 matches and in the best 13 times.

Bit harsh on Webb, your mate's eyes must be struggling, played 16 matches and in the best 13 times.

I'll tell him for you:)
I certainly dont see that many games so its hard for me to comment on any of them really. MM seemed surprised by it. I know he tells me Mott, Duffy & Bowden have had great years for the Pies, but too many others were in & out with injury all year. It certainly looked that way when we went to the double header at Boot Park.

I'll tell him for you:)
I certainly dont see that many games so its hard for me to comment on any of them really. MM seemed surprised by it. I know he tells me Mott, Duffy & Bowden have had great years for the Pies, but too many others were in & out with injury all year. It certainly looked that way when we went to the double header at Boot Park.

Duffy only in the best 5 times, if there was a stiff ruckman it was Hamish Leedham from Launceston.

I think a better level & concentration of funding & thus a better ability to attract & reward the best talent, coaches & administrators is surely a more attractive proposition for the public & sponsors to take an interest in than the present situation.

One club per city/ municipality was a goal of AFLTas. They said that when they took to NHFC & HFC, they should be consistent & push for that. I know its tough but its clearly better than what we have now. Its reported that at least 3 clubs are trading in the red. Thats not a great indicator of a sustainable competition. I really cant see any club being 'in the pink' financially. At a guess I imagine the better clubs would be North Launceston, Glenorchy & Clarence. But it may be their not in all that good a position either. However the 2 northern clubs are clearly in a better position talent wise at least.

Sadly, both NWC clubs look in a mess. I hope they can be sorted out. Not just with money, but with a better structure of ressies & seniors together in the TSL.

Our little footy group have always liked the idea of a conference system. A northern 4 & a southern 4. So a club like Burnie would play home & away against the other northern 3 teams twice each, thats 12 games across the north, then home & away against the southern 4 for another 4 games in the north & travel to Hobart area 4 times. Thats a 20 game roster. You could reduce that to only playing the southern side once each, thats for a 16 game competition. That'd be even more sustainable with only 2 trips to Hobart, apart from finals of course.

I guess we'd really never know about the true position of club finances, but its certain the competition needs a good review & ideas on how to get stronger clubs & a stronger competition.

Sadly, AFL Tasmania have never really shown themselves to be 'imaginative'. So I guess they'll just plod along, as usual. Bereft of ideas or initiative. If they somehow have some ideas, they should talk to supporters, & listen. At least give us some confidence in whats going on.
Better funding will allow the TSL clubs to attract more of the best players into the league instead of being outbid by the lower leagues so lets hope the AFL can give them more than the paltry amount they now get. In a perfect world a full home and away roster is the obvious choice but realistically a conference system is the better option for a league such as ours that involves so much travel. We had a form of that up until 2015 and I know going back to the full home and away season in 2016 after Western Storm perished had a negative effect on the coastal teams as their Hobart trips increased from 3 to 5 but the thing that has hurt them the most was their decision to run teams in 2 leagues. Talking to footy people on the coast there seems to be an air of inevitability that Devonport will have to withdraw from either the TSL or the NWFL and if that were to occur I would expect it to be announced soon after the season finishes. If they drop out of the TSL a conference system becomes almost impossible with only 3 Northern teams. I want the TSL to remain because the standard is miles above the regional leagues. As far as the financial situation of the clubs goes I have heard that one of the coastal clubs has some problems and the other is ok, in the North one club is rumoured to have some financial issues and I cant comment on the southern clubs as I wouldn't have a clue.

Just a thought, I wonder where the $100k went that Western Storm/Prospects 2's used to get from AFLTas? Although its not much, an extra $11k allocated to each of the other clubs would have made some sense in the absence of any other increases from HQ. Might offset CPI for example....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a thought, I wonder where the $100k went that Western Storm/Prospects 2's used to get from AFLTas? Although its not much, an extra $11k allocated to each of the other clubs would have made some sense in the absence of any other increases from HQ. Might offset CPI for example....
Shows how strong their relationship to AFL Tas is to be 'gifted' 100k to field a D League side full of kids.

Burnie are on the lookout for a new coach after Clint Proctor has decided to return to Victoria for family reasons. I think he did a pretty good job during his 3 years as coach. Obviously this year was very tough but he has done a lot of work with the youth of the club which will reap benefits in the future.

Burnie are on the lookout for a new coach after Clint Proctor has decided to return to Victoria for family reasons. I think he did a pretty good job during his 3 years as coach. Obviously this year was very tough but he has done a lot of work with the youth of the club which will reap benefits in the future.

Geez, who doesn't need a coach next year???
Coaches,
Devonport. gone
Burnie, gone,
NHCFC, going?
Clarence ?
Glenorchy going ?
Lauderdale ?
Kingston ? (Looking?)
North Launy ? (Coach has no job)
The only one who looks certain at this stage in Lonergan at Launceston. Its an amazing situation. Maybe it further shows the stresses on the TSL clubs???

Geez, who doesn't need a coach next year???
Coaches,
Devonport. gone
Burnie, gone,
NHCFC, going?
Clarence ?
Glenorchy going ?
Lauderdale ?
Kingston ? (Looking?)
North Launy ? (Coach has no job)
The only one who looks certain at this stage in Lonergan at Launceston. Its an amazing situation. Maybe it further shows the stresses on the TSL clubs???

Kingborough definitely looking. Lot of pressure on the club after the debacle at start of year. They really need to get it right, as I think its time for them to start performing a bit more and stop using development as excuse.

Clarence. I thought I heard the coach say in the paper that he is staying. (could be wrong).

Glenorchy. Said a few weeks ago that possibly heading to VFL

Lauderdale. Could be in a GF next week. Would think Winter would continue as they continue to improve each season.

Nth Hobart. Well lets hope they next season. Not sure, maybe if the right person came up, but Richter seems to be doing a good job.

I cannot comment on the coastal clubs, being from the south.

But the best coaching job in Tasmanian football would be Nth Launceston. Would think they would have a very strong list of candidates.

Kingborough definitely looking. Lot of pressure on the club after the debacle at start of year. They really need to get it right, as I think its time for them to start performing a bit more and stop using development as excuse.

Clarence. I thought I heard the coach say in the paper that he is staying. (could be wrong).

Glenorchy. Said a few weeks ago that possibly heading to VFL

Lauderdale. Could be in a GF next week. Would think Winter would continue as they continue to improve each season.

Nth Hobart. Well lets hope they next season. Not sure, maybe if the right person came up, but Richter seems to be doing a good job.

I cannot comment on the coastal clubs, being from the south.

But the best coaching job in Tasmanian football would be Nth Launceston. Would think they would have a very strong list of candidates.

Thorpe & Proctor have both finished up so both NWC clubs are on the hunt as well.

Lauderdale in the big one.

Once you're in it, you have a chance. Looking at the second semifinal, I really cant see Lauderdale pulling back 100 points.

The closest upset to that sort of effort I can think of, was the 1973 TFL Grand Final when Sandy bay were undefeated during the roster season & 2nd semi final. Hobart, who came 4th, beat, Clarence at the bell, then Glenorchy in a big upset prelim final, then beat the undefeated Sandy Bay in that amazing final game.

So anything is possible. Anyway, we shall see.

Aaron Cornelious is gone from Glenorchy.
That's a definite I was told today, no word on replacements as yet.
Kim Excell's headed back to Claremont in the SFL next year.
Hobart City most likely to be in their traditional strip and resuming as 'North Hobart' again from next season.
And so they should too, the same Sandy Bay types that infiltrated Hobart a few years back and caused problems have done the same thing to their club and caused all sorts of problems (again).
Was at the SFL Grand Final today, great atmosphere at North Hobart (I love that ground at finals time, such a shame it's no longer used for TSL finals footy) and the day was a LONG one with Women's football forced into the day again. Had to be up at 6.30am to be at the ground by 7.45am to set up for the colts grand final. Senior match finished at 5.15pm!

Lauderdale bounced back to win their way into their first grand final at TSL level, would be their first grand final since about 2004 when they lost to Cygnet in the old SFL Regional League. Big effort after the debàcle last week.
I think they'll be more competitive this time round but the old Robins will win by 40 in the grand final.

Last edited:
congrats to Hobart Under 18 ( the TCA tiger ones) who one the big one, sensational team effect .lead by there 22 yr coach
went through season undefeated

Excuse my ignorance here, I'm a long way away - who is the Southern Storm?
It's a combined Cygnet-Kermandie team that plays football at underage level.
Cygnet has enough numbers for Seniors and Reserves but not for Colts whereas Kermandie's senior club folded seven years ago. Keeps some sort of involvement down in the Geeveston area

Remove this Banner Ad

Back