Perspective! ... how can you go from hero to zero in one game?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
GWS went to Geelong as Grand Final certainties, the experts tell us so, they lost against the second top team on their home ground by just enough to drop their percentage under Richmond's.

GWS went to Adelaide to lose a game Richmond or Port or Sydney was expected to lose. They lost, now they are hopeless, a team full of champions not a champion team, badly coached, can't lift under pressure, the AFL investment of over 200 million dollars building this club have gone to waste ... because they lost to the top team Adelaide in Adelaide.

If they beat WC on the weekend they will start favourites to beat Richmond who after all just won their first final in 16 years, the win made them second favourite for the flag when a week earlier we were going out in straight sets to Geelong then Sydney. Still we will be outsiders if expected to win again.

Sydney beat Essendon in Sydney, no surprise. Now they play Geelong, who are also now hopeless because they lost their first game to Richmond in over a decade. If Geelong beat Sydney thats ok because Geelong finished 2nd after all but then they lost to Richmond so its too late for them to be good in 2017.

If Sydney win they will start favourites to beat Adelaide in Adelaide even with Adelaide the premiership favourites. They are then expected to romp away with the premiership against whoever.

Every game is earth shattering every win or loss classifies a team as hero's or zero's.

These experts sure like to wind us all up with as little knowledge of the future as any of us.

In 3 weeks time there will be one premier .... and a lot more perspective.

Your observations are correct and it's the whole media saturation coverage which I think does it.

Things get over analyzed to death, so one game seems like an eternity to people who are paid to talk about it every day. In someone like Kingys world he can probably barely remember when GWS won their last game.

So yes with SEN and fox footy, many media gurus concept of time is probably quicker than dog years.

The opposite occurred with Liam Jones, he went from zero to hero in one game according to the media.

I follow Geelong, we are the experts going from chocolates to boiled lollies immediately after a BYE, anything is possible this week, unlikely, but not impossible. IMO Chris Scott is coaching for his future Friday night, it will be interesting to see how the aftermath unfolds if it's another ugly defeat? I do question the player camaraderie and commitment to the cause down there, it just doesn't appear right to me? One week they are heroes and the next they are swinging those handbags, just like the mid 60's! Have they become too comfortable just making finals? Do they think that's all they have to do? The Tigers have the hunger, their team isn't that good, but they have the burning desire for success, GWS have all the talent, but are stuck in pit-lane, The Crows won't beat the Tigers at the MCG in a GF. The Tigers will be praying the real monsters don't make it and that's the Swans... The Swans were once 0-6, so who bloody knows?

Totally agree.

GWS don't have the media hype, but they're a very very good team and will be hard to beat.

I think the media are exaggerating the story in the hope Richmond loses to GWS in the prelim so they can turn on Richmond again.

Totally agree.

GWS don't have the media hype, but they're a very very good team and will be hard to beat.

I think the media are exaggerating the story in the hope Richmond loses to GWS in the prelim so they can turn on Richmond again.

I think the media love both sides of the coin because of the passion of Richmond supporters bring, don't think it's the case of hopping on when Richmond win or lose. Bit like the Pies, the media focus depends how you're doing on the spectrum.

Also, probably close to the best username on BF. :D:thumbsu:

Didn't charlie Dixon just do this?
Even though he appeared to have a great game.. possibly his best game ever .. and if they'd had won you could say he had a great game... but they lost by under a gaol and he kicked like 3.6 ... so still at zero... never been at hero.

The way of modern media is to distort rather than describe. To make things seem out of the ordinary and therefore more interesting. They feed on constant tumult rather than occasional surprise, so wins are made to seem more auspicious, losses more catastrophic.

To be fair, GWS and Geelong were annihilated in their QFs, especially the Giants, who were gone by half time. If they're competitive in those games, it would be a different story.

But there is a degree of overreaction to be sure. Everything is amplified in finals.

GWS went to Geelong as Grand Final certainties, the experts tell us so, they lost against the second top team on their home ground by just enough to drop their percentage under Richmond's.

GWS went to Adelaide to lose a game Richmond or Port or Sydney was expected to lose. They lost, now they are hopeless, a team full of champions not a champion team, badly coached, can't lift under pressure, the AFL investment of over 200 million dollars building this club have gone to waste ... because they lost to the top team Adelaide in Adelaide.

If they beat WC on the weekend they will start favourites to beat Richmond who after all just won their first final in 16 years, the win made them second favourite for the flag when a week earlier we were going out in straight sets to Geelong then Sydney. Still we will be outsiders if expected to win again.

Sydney beat Essendon in Sydney, no surprise. Now they play Geelong, who are also now hopeless because they lost their first game to Richmond in over a decade. If Geelong beat Sydney thats ok because Geelong finished 2nd after all but then they lost to Richmond so its too late for them to be good in 2017.

If Sydney win they will start favourites to beat Adelaide in Adelaide even with Adelaide the premiership favourites. They are then expected to romp away with the premiership against whoever.

Every game is earth shattering every win or loss classifies a team as hero's or zero's.

These experts sure like to wind us all up with as little knowledge of the future as any of us.

In 3 weeks time there will be one premier .... and a lot more perspective.
Well, we are at the business end of the season. Stakes are a lot higher.

And I dispute even if we beat Geelong, that we will suddenly be favourites to beat Adelaide. I think most observers would consider that one to be our hour of reckoning.

The other thing I suggest is a total media blackout except for the games themselves. Never quite understood this obsession people have with watching people they loathe express opinions they think are crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'West Coast's flag to lose!'
-After week 1 of finals, 2015

'Hawthorn will be contenders for eternity because they will simply keep topping up through free agency. Equalisation can't keep them down!'
-After grand final, 2015

'Hawthorn are cooked!'
-After Round 2, 2017

'Hawthorn have rebuilt in an instant! They will make the eight!'
-Mid-season, 2017

'West Coast's flag to lose!'
-After week 1 of finals, 2015

'Hawthorn will be contenders for eternity because they will simply keep topping up through free agency. Equalisation can't keep them down!'
-After grand final, 2015

'Hawthorn are cooked!'
-After Round 2, 2017

'Hawthorn have rebuilt in an instant! They will make the eight!'
-Mid-season, 2017
Where would we be without all these wonderful journalistic insights?

As the cliché goes "A week is a long time in Football", I wonder if that insight was an observation about sports journalism?

Your observations are correct and it's the whole media saturation coverage which I think does it.

In someone like Kingys world he can probably barely remember when GWS won their last game.

King was talking about stringer etc and how he got ahead of himself last night- this was the guy talking him all year in 2015, 'the package this', the package that.' build your team around him, 'which one out of him and hogan would you pick as a key forward' etc etc

Longmire is cooked
Franklin is a poor finals player
Parker should be traded for draft pick
Swans should have played Tippett
Sydney's investments did not pay off
Will Sydney miss the 8 in 2018?

These are my SEN article predictions for the week
We need to orchestrate Longmire to North.

Stuff contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back