Who has been the best key forward since Carey?

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
It's going to be fun to see if Buddy can make it to 1000 goals.
It didn't seem likely a few years ago but as it stands, 213 goals is right within reach. It helps he is also playing in a terrific side who shall play finals for the fourth successive year since joining.

Someone like Ablett for example, he reached his first final by the time he was 28 (well 20 days out to be precise).
He would have cracked the ton a year earlier had he had the right pieces around him during the mid 1980's.

It will probably mean Franklin manages 71 goals goals in three seasons which just sneaks him over the line to join five other centurions.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
It's going to be fun to see if Buddy can make it to 1000 goals.
It didn't seem likely a few years ago but as it stands, 213 goals is right within reach. It helps he is also playing in a terrific side who shall play finals for the fourth successive year since joining.

Someone like Ablett for example, he reached his first final by the time he was 28 (well 20 days out to be precise).
He would have cracked the ton a year earlier had he had the right pieces around him during the mid 1980's.

It will probably mean Franklin manages 71 goals goals in three seasons which just sneaks him over the line to join five other centurions.

And he's not even a full-forward either....Even when he kicked the tonne in 08, Roughy was the FF....He's also won 3 Coleman's as a non-FF....Nuff said.

I think Jon Brown was, just injuries killed him at times.
Remember the year i think 2006 where he was leading the brownlow after 10 or 11 games and was unstoppable? Then in typical fashion got injured and missed the rest of the season

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Franklin easy - the other two are good on their day but just think overall Franklin is more consistent.

Good on their day and less consistent? Lloyd was ultra consistent, a more accurate kick (68.59%, behind only Lockett in the top 10 all time goals list and Hudson in the top 20), sits 7th on the all time goals list with 926, kicked more big bags, averaged more goals (3.43 vs 3.19) and was held goalless less times (17 vs 21) despite playing more games (270 vs 249), suffering a horrific injury at 28 which left him a shell of his former self and having his twilight years included unlike Franklin. There's no problem with you rating Franklin higher, but basing it on consistency is a furphy, and to call the other two only good on there day is a slap in the face.

Average:
Franklin - 3.19 g/pg
Lloyd - 3.43 g/pg

Goalless:
Franklin - 21
Lloyd - 17

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Good on their day and less consistent? Lloyd was ultra consistent, a more accurate kick (68.59%, behind only Lockett in the top 10 all time goals list and Hudson in the top 20), sits 7th on the all time goals list with 926, kicked more big bags, averaged more goals (3.43 vs 3.19) and was held goalless less times (17 vs 21) despite playing more games (270 vs 249), suffering a horrific injury at 28 which left him a shell of his former self and having his twilight years included unlike Franklin. There's no problem with you rating Franklin higher, but basing it on consistency is a furphy, and to call the other two only good on there day is a slap in the face.

Average:
Franklin - 3.19 g/pg
Lloyd - 3.43 g/pg

Goalless:
Franklin - 21
Lloyd - 17
How surprising - from an Essendon supporter no less. Well I never!!

SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
Franklin easy - the other two are good on their day but just think overall Franklin is more consistent.

Two of the most consistent key forwards the game has ever seen.

Lloyd kicked bags for fun.

Riewoldt's output in the CHF position probably more consistent than Carey's.

Cdreamer

Team Captain
May 3, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Buddy is the best, what he has been able to do in the modern era of whole team defensive is quite remarkable. Only 100 goal season forward in the last 10 years says a lot and to be even in the conversation to be kicking 1000 goals is a feat I thought would never happen again.

Buddy is the best, what he has been able to do in the modern era of whole team defensive is quite remarkable. Only 100 goal season forward in the last 10 years says a lot and to be even in the conversation to be kicking 1000 goals is a feat I thought would never happen again.
Buddy is just a different type of big man to what the game has seen. A big man who has the agility of a flanker.
Imagine if he was a great mark like some of the other KPF. He would be unstoppable

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Definitely hard to go past Franklin at the moment. Throw a blanket over Brown, Pavlich & Nick Riewoldt for second.
My problem with Lloyd is I have memories of him playing for frees by falling on his face after minimal contact from the opposition. It probably didn't happen that often but it sticks in my mind, just like Josh Hunt dogging marking contests and Peter Matera dropping the footy and throwing his arms out whenever he got tackled. Probably terribly unfair on all these players but its how I remember them.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lloyd was one of the most overrated players of all time.

The rest sans Riewoldt have all played in very good teams for at least 3-5 season (Carey included). It's pretty easy kicking lots of goals when you generally win every game and your midfield consists of Mitchell, Hodge, and Burgoyne or Power and Leppitsch and Voss. It also helps when you have a decent forward line and a second forward who can help drag a second defender off you.

Pavlich and Riewoldt's passion, energy is supreme.

The fact Pav has won gongs as a full back and tall rover is pretty amazing. Riewoldt still plays most games as a half back and winger and manages to take marks in the same passage of play he was part of down the ground...

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are you drunk ?
He was soft. Used to go after players when they were down, barely put his head over the ball. He was incredibly overrated and his naff opinions on the game in commentary now solidifies my thoughts.

Up there with Koutafides as some of the most unfairly celebrated players ever.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
No - entirely agree. He even used to throw up grass before attempting to kick for goal even when he was under the roof lol. He was a tool!!
Every gun forward has their own routine. Take a look at your boy Kennedy for example, tippy toe tippy toe, shuffle shuffle, sideways, bang, goal. What a, to borrow your term "tool" of a run up.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
He was soft. Used to go after players when they were down, barely put his head over the ball. He was incredibly overrated and his naff opinions on the game in commentary now solidifies my thoughts.

Up there with Koutafides as some of the most unfairly celebrated players ever.
Naff opinions, see pavlich. He was smashed from pillar to post in his early days before he finally stood up for himself. Thanks for taking kickett, ridley and that other ginger that enabled us to get Lloyd. Talk about laughing all the way to the bank.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

Average:
Franklin - 3.19 g/pg
Lloyd - 3.43 g/pg

Goalless:
Franklin - 21
Lloyd - 17

You're comparing a Full forwards goal average to a Half forward.....Seriously?.....Now try possessions.....Buddy would murder LLoyd.

Also, Buddy isn't finished quite yet & still has 5 years of his contract to run....He'll end up with over a 1,000 goals easily, & be the first non full-forward to have achieved that feat.

Here's a list of all forwards who have kicked 5 goals & had 20 possies in a game.....A very good measure for mine:

Leigh Matthews 41 Times
Wayne Carey: 30 Times
Lance Franklin: 23* Times
Gary Ablett Sen: 21 Times
Jason Dunstall: 17 Times
Bernie Quinlan: 16 Times
Kevin Bartlett: 15 Times
Brad Johnson: 14 Times
Matthew Richardson: 14 Times
Peter Hudson: 13 Times
Matthew Pavlich: 13 Times
Steve Johnston: 12 Times
Jonathon Brown: 12 Times
Warren Tredrea: 11 Times
Stephen Kernahan: 11 Times
Nick Riewoldt: 10 Times
Peter Bedford: 10 Times
Alex Jesaulenko: 10 Times
John Murphy: 10 Times
Dermott Brereton: 9 Times
Malcolm Blight: 9 Times
Garry Wilson: 9 Times
Matthew Lloyd: 9 Times

You're comparing a Full forwards goal average to a Half forward.....Seriously?.....Now try possessions.....Buddy would murder LLoyd.

Also, Buddy isn't finished quite yet & still has 5 years of his contract to run....He'll end up with over a 1,000 goals easily, & be the first non full-forward to have achieved that feat.

Here's a list of all forwards who have kicked 5 goals & had 20 possies in a game.....A very good measure for mine:

Leigh Matthews 41 Times
Wayne Carey: 30 Times
Lance Franklin: 23* Times
Gary Ablett Sen: 21 Times
Jason Dunstall: 17 Times
Bernie Quinlan: 16 Times
Kevin Bartlett: 15 Times
Brad Johnson: 14 Times
Matthew Richardson: 14 Times
Peter Hudson: 13 Times
Matthew Pavlich: 13 Times
Steve Johnston: 12 Times
Jonathon Brown: 12 Times
Warren Tredrea: 11 Times
Stephen Kernahan: 11 Times
Nick Riewoldt: 10 Times
Peter Bedford: 10 Times
Alex Jesaulenko: 10 Times
John Murphy: 10 Times
Dermott Brereton: 9 Times
Malcolm Blight: 9 Times
Garry Wilson: 9 Times
Matthew Lloyd: 9 Times

Did you even read the chain of comments that lead to that post, or just wanting to go off half cocked thinking I'm underrating your boy Buddy?

Back