Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't realise Tom Lynch spent so much time at half back

Isn't that just the result of the entire on-field players moving around the ground around where the play goes?

Where (when the ball/play in around our goal square, say) the entire team has moved into our defensive half in a compressed area within a kick's length, the players still position themselves according to their assigned positions so Lynchy while actually positioned in the right half back (or wing) spot on the ground, he's still in the right half forward position relative to the rest of our players.

When the ball/play then moves to our forward line, the entire team then roughly migrates up into our forward half while maintaining the team structure positioning.

I've often wondered why some of our defenders end up in our forward line and I think this explains it.

And what two Adelaide players led the metres gained count against the GWS?

B. Crouch - 490 metres'
M. Crouch - 445 metres.

Now who was that poster with NFI that said they weren't damaging with their disposals?

That would be RonSon on the bay - but he heard it on the telly.......

It's not though. We regularly have our mids play less time than our opposition, and we generally have a better performing midfield because they're fresher towards the end of quarters and the game.

How many goals did we score against GWS last week in the last quarter?

MCrouch 2017 Brownlow Winner

Every time I think of Matt Crouch, I think of Jarman Impey

Every time I think of Jarman Impey, I think about taking Mitch Banner instead of Rory Sloane

When I think of Mitch Banner, I think about drafting Adam Morgan instead of Matthew Pavlich or Ken McGregor

So when I think of Matt Crouch, it makes me smile. A lot :D
Not Crows related but I think I can beat that, 2010 draft:

Pick 16 Ben Jacobs
Pick 19 Isaac Smith
Pick 26 Jack Darling

But wait there is more,

Pick 35 Ben Newton
Pick 36 Aaron Young
and drumroll..........
Pick 40 Luke Parker

Funny thing is we took Jarrod Lyons at 61 who was better than all their picks.

From that same draft they also drafted, promoted or rookied:

Cam Hitchcock
Danny Meyer
Matthew Westhoff
And some other no names

There one saving grace was grabbing Jonas as a rookie.

Has there even been a more diabolical draft period?

Not Crows related but I think I can beat that, 2010 draft:

Pick 16 Ben Jacobs
Pick 19 Isaac Smith
Pick 26 Jack Darling

But wait there is more,

Pick 35 Ben Newton
Pick 36 Aaron Young
and drumroll..........
Pick 40 Luke Parker

Funny thing is we took Jarrod Lyons at 61 who was better than all their picks.

From that same draft they also drafted, promoted or rookied:

Cam Hitchcock
Danny Meyer
Matthew Westhoff
And some other no names

There one saving grace was grabbing Jonas as a rookie.

Not sure they beat any of Impey, Banner or Adam Morgan though

But it is still a good list :D

I think 2009 was worse given the number of high draft picks Port had that year.

Pick 8: John Butcher
Pick 9: Andrew Moore
Pick 16: Jasper McMillan-Pittard

Can remember thinking that Port had set themselves very well for the next decade with those three first round picks. Butcher had been talked about as a top 2 pick for much of the year, and touted as a potential Tredrea replacement after his first few games. Thank goodness they weren't able to teach him how to kick.

Never really had a strong association with Matt Crouch and Impey because I couldn't really recall the latter being talked about much that year. Getting Polec that year was considered the major "win" for Port and probably overshadowed things. Outside run and pace was still an issue for us, and was more interested to see how Billy Hartung would go as he was drafted immediately after Crouch. Very glad we went with the natural footballer over the athlete.

Last edited:
Impey wasn't really talked about much that year. The main reason Port fans were so hot on him was that their recruiting person did a Rendell and made an outlandish "he was on top of the list of players we were considering and would have taken him even if <insert considerably better players> were still available" statement.

Impey wasn't really talked about much that year. The main reason Port fans were so hot on him was that their recruiting person did a Rendell and made an outlandish "he was on top of the list of players we were considering and would have taken him even if <insert considerably better players> were still available" statement.
I actually saw several of Impey's game at TAC level in his draft year, one in particular against the Rebels he was a moving highlights reel . A game Matt Crouch played well in as well........Impey was certainly on plenty of clubs radars due no doubt to his scintillating speed displays seducing many and therefore over looking other aspects of his game. He can still run rooly, rooly fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impey was certainly on plenty of clubs radars due no doubt to his scintillating speed displays seducing many and therefore over looking other aspects of his game. He can still run rooly, rooly fast.

And don't the police know it!

Seventh best player in the league according the players, and with Kelly [edit and Daniher] the only one with fewer than 100 games.

I think we can declare the "Is Matt a gun" debate closed.

AFLPA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER TOP 10
1. Dustin Martin (Richmond) – 1,333 votes
2. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong) – 776 votes
3. Josh Kelly (GWS) – 416 votes
4. Rory Sloane (ADEL) – 267 votes
5. Lance Franklin (SYD) – 215 votes
6. Tom Mitchell (HAW) – 196 votes
7. Matt Crouch (ADEL) – 111 votes
8. Josh Kennedy (WCE) – 98 votes
9. Joe Daniher (ESS) – 78 votes
10. Robbie Gray (PA) – 77 votes

Last edited:
Seventh best player in the league according the players, and with Kelly the only one with fewer than 100 games.

But.....But......But......

Be very interested to hear NTRabbit take on this......or why the actual guys that play against Matt are such bad judges??

I would be inclined to give it a rest re: rabbit if he just went into hiding on this topic, but his tactic now is to shift the goalposts.

Now he is only capable of hitting short targets. There will be no award that will prove he is a good player as they all lack credibility etc. etc.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...y/news-story/4692ea58856c654a6a0a36d6087ba8e0

The pair rank in the top three at the Crows in tackles, contested possessions and clearances, with only star vice-captain, fellow midfielder and AFLPA most courageous player winner Rory Sloane in the same conversation.

The Crouch siblings rank in the top five in the league as a midfield combination for disposals (averaging 60.8), groundball-gets (18.6) and uncontested possessions ((34.6).

They are averaging career-highs in almost every key statistic.

As for their brothers disposals record, Matt described it as “a funny one’’.

“It’s nice to achieve that together but it’s actually not something that me and Brad have even spoken about,’’ he said. “It’s something we might reflect on later but at the moment we’re just focused on the finals and trying to win a premiership.’’

The pair appears to have an almost telepathic on-field understanding but Matt said that it’s not something that comes naturally “because we didn’t play a lot of footy together growing up’’.

“Brad’s 15 months older than me so when we were growing up we weren’t in the same team very often,’’ Matt said.

“If anything, we probably just notice each other’s voice out on the field more than others.’’

That’s music to the ears of Crows’ fans.

Watched the second showdown last night again. Matt's ability to pick up the ball from the middle of a pack whilst being sweated on, and getting a flick hand pass out onto the chest of a team mate is unparalleled in the game today.

He is on the path to diesel Williams status with this ability.

Made guys like Wines and Boak look amateurish with their quick flick handpasses out of packs hitting the deck time and again.

Seventh best player in the league according the players, and with Kelly [edit and Daniher] the only one with fewer than 100 games.

Thats some bloody good company he's keeping!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back