Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

That makes no sense. So he recruits players that the incoming team may not want but are stuck with? I think it will be more of a restructure with Hine's responsibilities being scaled back.
How many recruiting people get replaced just before the draft and trading period, none. Straight after yes.
Not saying there will not be a restructure and Hines position will not change, just replying to those who want him and others gone now, that it will not happen because of the work all ready put in

Just heard on SEN that all of Sydney's backline (minus Mills) are rookies.

Last time Hine had success like that is back in 2010-2011.

Yet as list manager Hine and our Club have kept two "accidental" drug cheats on our list for threeeeeeeeeee ruddy years.......lost opportunity????

How many have come through their academy?

Just heard on SEN that all of Sydney's backline (minus Mills) are rookies.

Last time Hine had success like that is back in 2010-2011.

Yet as list manager Hine and our Club have kept two "accidental" drug cheats on our list for threeeeeeeeeee ruddy years.......lost opportunity????
So Sydney should simply trade their primary list draft picks for ready made players, then TOP up with their rookie selections...
I think their access to academy players increases the depth quality available to them.
But it's still an impressive outcome.

I agree 100% with that.........it seems like we are addressing that area this year.

The Sydney recruiting team also had to "work harder" because of the Tippett & Buddy contracts and draft penalty the following year.

We didn't..........Sier at 30 WTF.......he should have been the definition of a Rookie pick IMO.

That pick 30 "should have been" on a KPP........not an underage mid. List management fail.....AGAIN.

To be fair, have you looked at the names that went >= 32 in the 2015 draft?
It was fairly s**t.

It was fairly s**t.

Not one player better than Sier wicksy???

Are you going to make me do some homework?

It was fairly s**t.

Rookie Pick in 2015

1_V13EsNB15GD%200002.JPG

It was fairly s**t.

Rookie pick 2015.........tell me when to stop mate!

1469374181174.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mills and Heeney.

Was more a query specific to the comment about their defence being compiled almost completely with rookies. Was just wondering if they're getting access to some good rookie selections through their academy program. I know Rampe wasn't via their academy but just too lazy to check on the others.

Rookie Pick in 2015

1_V13EsNB15GD%200002.JPG

Was never likely to go anywhere else though given he'd been on their VFL list for a while. And you have to wonder if he'd ever have gotten that chance if not for their banned players.

Was never likely to go anywhere else though given he'd been on their VFL list for a while. And you have to wonder if he'd ever have gotten that chance if not for their banned players.

That all could be very true jackcass but the first time I saw him play in the VFL against us I liked him.

His name and Papley's name jumped out at me on the rookie list.

I am sure their are many more players better and a more pressing need than Sier.........that was my point.

If you really want to torture yourself look at the top 40 draft picks, only 2 others haven't played a game yet.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2015&t=N&s=P

But at least it's not the 2013 cursed draft, for a few years when I looked at the top 30 draftees only 2 (Schaz Freeman) hadn't played a game and they were both ours and both top 10. :(

That draft and some dreadful trading is why our list is where it's at.

Last edited:
That all could be very true jackcass but the first time I saw him play in the VFL against us I liked him.

I am sure their are many more players better and a more pressing need than Sier.........that was my point.
Mathieson and Adams in the ND are two names that spring to mind.

Hopefully Sier goes on to have a career in 2018 and beyond and changes all of that.

I would love for him to make it also........he is a big boy!

Mathieson and Adams in the ND are two names that spring to mind.

Yeah I saw Adams but I thought finding players from the rookie list was going to be harder.

I agree, particularly as McT was largely playing off HB with their VFL side. Was very damaging with his run and carry and ball use was good.

But you could go through every draft and highlight players who have exceeded their draft pick. Every club experiences the same thing and it's not as if we haven't had our share of late pick and rookie draft wins. That same draft we added Thomas and Smith in the rookie draft. I'm a huge Thomas fan and think he'll continue to improve now he's back in the system. Not so much Smith but even he's been serviceable.

I'm happy to wait and see how Sier progresses (if he's retained) in 2018 and beyond before I start lamenting opportunities lost.

Aggressive much?
When did I say there wasn't one player better?
All I said was that there were no real standouts at the back end of that draft. Shoot me!

Aggressive much?
When did I say there wasn't one player better?
All I said was that there were no real standouts at the back end of that draft. Shoot me!

Was that response really aggressive? o_O

No need to answer its easier to shoot you next time :p

Was that response really aggressive? o_O

No need to answer its easier to shoot you next time :p

"Rookie pick 2015.........tell me when to stop mate!"

You know you were being a flog... Don't try and deflect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back