Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

How can we expect funding when there are 100's of millions be spent on really important stuff like the gay marriage plebiscite because the government wont make an obvious and easy decision ..
because small minority who keeps jumping up and down over it! but totally agree 100s of millions is far better spent

The Lions AFLW side, who reached the inaugural Grand Final, do not have a home ground. At some matches earlier this year they had as many as 15,000 spectators. No one predicted the juggernaut AFLW would be in its debut season, especially in Queensland.

“Next season we anticipate we won’t have a venue that will service the amount of people who will want to come and watch them. Certainly not with any shade or covers which is badly needed in the summer here,” Anson explained.

“We would love a $15 million dollar contribution from the State Government towards the community elements and the stadium. We’ve got the money to do the training stuff for the Club.”

“So we’re just looking for the community facilities, the seating, the spectator amenities and to do that in the western corridor where we can deliver a piece of infrastructure that will service people that will move out there in the next thirty years.”

If the decision isn't made and signed we must attend every women's game to keep the pressure up, as well as enjoy the footy obviously.

If the contention from the proposal is true attendance at AFLW games in Queensland won't be the problem; seat wills.

If the contention from the proposal is true attendance at AFLW games in Queensland won't be the problem; seat wills.

We didn't go to one of the games cause it was a hassel and weren't guaranteed a good view and I'd was just too much effort (one of those weeks). I'd happily drive to Springfield park in the 1500 capacity car park and sit in the new stadium for every game.

We didn't go to one of the games cause it was a hassel and weren't guaranteed a good view and I'd was just too much effort (one of those weeks). I'd happily drive to Springfield park in the 1500 capacity car park and sit in the new stadium for every game.

It seems like interest was woefully under-gauged(that sounds awful off the tongue). I think a lot of people would happily do that drive to Springfield, it seems like it's not really all that remarkable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a promising sign that the club is basically pleading our case for government funding via the media. Doesn't look like it's ready to be ticked off any day now.

Not a promising sign that the club is basically pleading our case for government funding via the media. Doesn't look like it's ready to be ticked off any day now.
Unfortunately I think if we're getting an announcement we'll need to wait until the AFLW season so Palaszczuk and de Brenni can get a bunch of free media again. Even then it'll probably be dependent upon election result too.

This state government is a joke, seriously sat on their hands the entire term. It is like we won't do anything because the last guys tried to do something and got voted out.

Last time I checked the women's comp is called AFLW. The women don't have a home ground to play on so why is it our responsibility to secure funding for an AFLW competition?

The whole thing is a joke. The AFL should stump up the cash to complete the development at Springfield so the women can play their games there.

Last time I checked the women's comp is called AFLW. The women don't have a home ground to play on so why is it our responsibility to secure funding for an AFLW competition?

The whole thing is a joke. The AFL should stump up the cash to complete the development at Springfield so the women can play their games there.

Or give the team to a club with a stadium eg the Suns

The flipside of that is that the AFL probably gave us a women's license because it would give us political leverage with the government to secure facilities funding.

We're only in the discussion because of our women's team.

The flipside of that is that the AFL probably gave us a women's license because it would give us political leverage with the government to secure facilities funding.

We're only in the discussion because of our women's team.

Hasn't it just complecated the process? Isn't the needs for the Mens team seperate to the actual need for the stadium?

Hasn't it just complecated the process? Isn't the needs for the Mens team seperate to the actual need for the stadium?

No.

At present, we have enough funding for the men's facilities with absolutely no contribution from state or federal government. Seemingly, our only opportunity to get state/federal money to add extra value is by attaching it to our women's team.

No.

At present, we have enough funding for the men's facilities with absolutely no contribution from state or federal government. Seemingly, our only opportunity to get state/federal money to add extra value is by attaching it to our women's team.

So basically the extra funds would be to house the AFLW team and build a grandstand for games?

Is there something else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back