Opinion I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said at the beginning of the year Richmond were the real deal. Not revisionist at all but 's**t' is so indefensible:'(

Richmond are the real deal. But there's a reason why Tiger fans rated their win against us as the best of the season.

I don't know if it's just me, but the non-selection of Trengove for the West Coast final is grinding my gears more and more. It's at the point where it feels like match fixing, as crazy as that sounds.

Where the club sees Trengove in 2018 and beyond is irrelevant to 2017 finals where you play your best current team. It was a too obvious selection mistake which kills confidence in the coaching panel - as well as being a killer of supporter engagement...

We have been plagued by poor skills and scoring inaccuracy all year, the answer isn't to play the worst kick of 2017 in a final because he can run fast.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't know if it's just me, but the non-selection of Trengove for the West Coast final is grinding my gears more and more. It's at the point where it feels like match fixing, as crazy as that sounds.

Where the club sees Trengove in 2018 and beyond is irrelevant to 2017 finals where you play your best current team. It was a too obvious selection mistake which kills confidence in the coaching panel - as well as being a killer of supporter engagement...

We have been plagued by poor skills and scoring inaccuracy all year, the answer isn't to play the worst kick of 2017 in a final because he can run fast.
KT's words in his interview were a bit perplexing. They thought long and hard about the decision, and Jacko has been exemplary at the club for all he has done in past years and had done all that was required of him on field to get back in but there was another 'issue' they had to take into consideration.

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
KT's words in his interview were a bit perplexing. They thought long and hard about the decision, and Jacko has been exemplary at the club for all he has done in past years and had done all that was required of him on field to get back in but there was another 'issue' they had to take into consideration.

That issue being mobility at afl level?

mynameissilver

All Australian
Aug 10, 2017
Queensland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Look guys , I had a chat with Ken this morning . He knows how you all are feeling, he really does. He said its not been an easy decision , to stay...to go, He's been offered half of Qld. I asked him which half, He said "they wouldn't tell me."

He said hes been really been finding it tough here with the media. "I mean you try wiping your arse with the advertiser every day, its not pretty"
He did assure me that if he stays and signs on for another 2 years , at least his missus will finish the rose garden that she's been working on .
I hope this will help all the fans out there looking for answers.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes some senior players have failed when we needed them to bring it all home. And these are the same senior players which did the same before Hinkley arrived, I cannot argue that.

And with that, Hinkley has failed to weed out those who can win games when it matters. He has had 5 years to mold a team to his liking. His team he has assembled still falls over when they should not.

The team he has built is on him.
Who have we brought in in that time who has failed?

Our turnover has been pretty successful and pretty fast if you ask me.

The last few rounds of this year really turned my thinking about how we are tracking in that regard.

The next year or two will show whether Ken can finish the job.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Caro in The Age says that there's a bit of negotiation to go yet, even if Port do offer a 2 year extension. Seems there is some tension between the coaching panel and the board.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/port-a...o-keep-coach-ken-hinkley-20170915-gyimb6.html

Further, it will cost Port more to keep Hinkley now. Certainly in tenure because the Suns would offer Hinkley at least a four-year deal and more likely five. At the start of this season the 51-year-old was a coach under significant pressure with a chairman, whatever Thomas and David Koch say, on his back.
Either way he remains contracted to Port Adelaide until the end of 2018 and the club seems intent upon not only holding him to that but also extending his contract. While Hinkley appears fully committed to his Power players, should he decide he wants to leave it would be hard to hold him.
The suggestion over the weekend was the Port board would offer Hinkley an extra two years, securing him to Alberton until 2020.
That conversation looks likely to change. Should Hinkley stick with Port Adelaide he will surely push for greater job security and receive a significantly longer contract.

jack_black16

Club Legend
May 11, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From a purely factual analysis PAFC had a 'pass year' finishing 5th at the end of the home and away season.
Drill down and it is obvious that we had a 'average year'.
1. Sydney WIN - exhilarating feeling after the game - finally did it!
2. Freo WIN - thrashed a trashy side but hey we are good right? bottom 6 side
3. ADL LOSS - had moments in the game to win but oh well
4. GWS LOSS - Ryder out and found wanting because of lack of talls - SELECTION
5. Carlton WIN - Thrashed a woeful side - bottom 6 side
6. Brisbane WIN - Thrashed a woeful side - bottom 6 side
7. West C LOSS - OUT COACHED
8. GC WIN - Thrashed a poor side in Chine - bottom 6 side
9. Geelong LOSS - a great game - could have gone either way
10. Hawthorn WIN - destroyed them in the first half - poor second half
11. Essondon LOSS - capitulation -
12. Collingwood WIN - Bottom 6 side
13. Brisbane WIN - bottom 6 side
14. Richmond LOSS - soundly beaten by better side
15. West C WIN - a great win
16. North WIN - thrashed bottom 6 side
17. Melb LOSS -
18. Saints WIN - won with the last play of the night
19. ADL LOSS - thrashing
20. Collingwood WIN - Bottom 6 side
21. WB WIN - great win on a neutral ground
22. GC WIN - thrashed a bottom 6 side

9 wins against bottom 6 sides
1 win against Sydney who finished 6
1 win against West Coast who finished 8
1 win against WB who finished 10
1 win against Saints who finished 11
1 win against Hawks who finished 12

Looks even worse when you take into account the swans and hawks were bottom 4 material at the time.

Sep 6, 2007
Hiding in the sand dunes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Look guys , I had a chat with Ken this morning . He knows how you all are feeling, he really does. He said its not been an easy decision , to stay...to go, He's been offered half of Qld. I asked him which half, He said "they wouldn't tell me."

He said hes been really been finding it tough here with the media. "I mean you try wiping your arse with the advertiser every day, its not pretty"
He did assure me that if he stays and signs on for another 2 years , at least his missus will finish the rose garden that she's been working on .
I hope this will help all the fans out there looking for answers.

His heart's not in it. I actually suspect his heart's not been in it for some time, which is why we've had the results we've had. For whatever reason, the burning fire in the belly that is needed to coach a premiership team has dwindled out in him. That's not necessarily a "bad" thing, it just is what it is.

Take the money and run son. You can kick back and relax on the gold coast and nobody will care that they're hovering between 7th and 10th every year. Give somebody else a chance to get a premiership with this group, cause it ain't gonna happen with you.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
Hinkley will coach us next year.

Hinkley is the main man.

Hinkley will rise above the Facebook heroes.

I take Hinkley as the sort of guy that knows nothing about Facebook.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
5 years @ $600k.

Pretty cheap for a head coach considering the stress and scrutiny they endure.

How well paid are coaches in other professional sports?

Caro in The Age says that there's a bit of negotiation to go yet, even if Port do offer a 2 year extension. Seems there is some tension between the coaching panel and the board.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/port-a...o-keep-coach-ken-hinkley-20170915-gyimb6.html

Imo we are not obligated to offer him * all.

If we wait till next year, watch his currency drop. Signing him now will be at the top of his worth because of GCs bullshit.

* him, we've got another year to hold him to. He'll be worth nothing this time next year.

Don't jump at shadows.

Last edited:

Adam Marrett23

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
5 years @ $600k.

Pretty cheap for a head coach considering the stress and scrutiny they endure.

How well paid are coaches in other professional sports?
Depends on the sport. Football (soccer) they are massively paid, well in Europe and China anyway where the major money is. I won't even attempt to say the wages involved there but the best managers are paid very well. NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL coaches would be well and truly well paid but in those sports obviously there is a lot more money to go around then there is in the AFL. It'd stagger me if Clarkson isn't on over a mill a year at Hawthorn, he's earnt that. I'm certain Tredrea said Hinkley had been offered roughly 800 a year from the Suns last night on the radio.

AFL coaches are well paid in terms of what they can get and what money there is to go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back