Society/Culture When is racism really racism?

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But they do

Most white people in Australia experience racism on a regular basis? How is that even possible? I could go to Belmont forum tomorrow and maybe some Indigenous person will call me a "white campaigner" but no matter where an Indigenous person goes in this area, someone's bound to give them a dirty look, a hostile remark or talk down to them everyday if they go out.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Most white people in Australia experience racism on a regular basis? How is that even possible? I could go to Belmont forum tomorrow and maybe some Indigenous person will call me a "white campaigner" but no matter where an Indigenous person goes in this area, someone's bound to give them a dirty look, a hostile remark or talk down to them everyday if they go out.
That is complete nonsense.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No, it isn't. Indigenous Australians are far more likely to experience everyday racism according to survey research, but hey, go on, just say the research is bullshit cause you don't agree with it.
Does this 'research' factor in important information like income earnt, current employment status, drug and alcohol use, what neighbourhood residing in etc?

Do people not raise an eyebrow seeing white trash bogans as well?

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Does this 'research' factor in important information like income earnt, current employment status, drug and alcohol use, what neighbourhood residing in etc?

Considering that these experiences took place not only at shops and restaurants but also the workplace, schools and universities, yes, I would say so. I've met some educated Indigenous people that have experienced racism, it seems to happen to them regardless of how civil and law abiding they may be. I think it's because of the negative stereotype which is reinforced by the higher crime rates.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Considering that these experiences took place not only at shops and restaurants but also the workplace, schools and universities, yes, I would say so. I've met some educated Indigenous people that have experienced racism, it seems to happen to them regardless of how civil and law abiding they may be. I think it's because of the negative stereotype which is reinforced by the higher crime rates.
You are now just making things up

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
That
Another perfect example of how ridiculous this "everything is offensive" society is becoming:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...acked-us-music-festival-joke-labelled-racist/

Yes, imitating a Southern accent in the presence of a black man (in this case, a close friend) is now enough to get you fired. This is what happens when people think it's their duty to get offended on behalf of other people who aren't offended.

"“I’m from the deep south and Matthew often makes fun of the southern accent just as I often make fun of his British accent,” said Mobley. “Race was not an issue. He was imitating a southern accent, not putting on a black accent, and there was nothing racist or malicious about it.”

EDIT: Seems another poster above has already mentioned this article.
This is a classic example of how the left are ruining our societies. Not only do they label non-racists as racist, and destroy their livelihoods in the process, but they've created an environment where many people don't want to have anything to do with people from minority backgrounds for fear that they will somehow offend them.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You are now just making things up

I'm not. I really have met Indigenous people who are educated and not the negative stereotype who still experience racism, such as being told by staff the cameras are on so don't steal anything, or some students who believe that Indigenous students don't have to do the assignments. The vast majority of them cannot escape the racial stereotyping.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyway, keep on believing that 3% of the population don't experience more racism than 75% or so hahaha. There's a *load more non-Indigenous people here than Indigenous, and plenty who stereotype, though it's not necessarily the same as outright hating or believing in racial superiority.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyway, keep on believing that 3% of the population don't experience more racism than 75% or so hahaha. There's a ****load more non-Indigenous people here than Indigenous, and plenty who stereotype, though it's not necessarily the same as outright hating or believing in racial superiority.
I have been insulted, assaulted on countless times for being white, having no cigarettes, minding my own business across many places here in WA. You people are just pathetic.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have been insulted, assaulted on countless times for being white, having no cigarettes, minding my own business across many places here in WA. You people are just pathetic.

Boo hoo, sucks to be white in Australia doesn't it? Yeah, except that we've never been considered sub-human, classified as flora and fauna, had our race been subjected to 200+ years of systematically racist policies (including another stolen generation, negligence deaths in police custody and the NT paperless arrest laws), 80% of our race making 37k or less a year, and 20% with limited or no access to running water, electricity, and sanitation. Take a good look at the statistics. After everything they've been through, is it any surprise some of them hate white people? Not to mention, you put a white kid in the hostile conditions many of them grow up in and they'd turn out just as ****ed. Put a black kid in an educated, loving household and chances are they'll turn out fine. Had the Indigenous been treated like actual human beings when the ******* pomes showed up, I guarantee you none of that s**t would've happened to you.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Boo hoo, sucks to be white in Australia doesn't it? Yeah, except that we've never been considered sub-human, classified as flora and fauna, had our race been subjected to 200+ years of systematically racist policies (including another stolen generation, negligence deaths in police custody and the NT paperless arrest laws), 80% of our race making 37k or less a year, and 20% with limited or no access to running water, electricity, and sanitation. Take a good look at the statistics. After everything they've been through, is it any surprise some of them hate white people? Not to mention, you put a white kid in the hostile conditions many of them grow up in and they'd turn out just as ******. Put a black kid in an educated, loving household and chances are they'll turn out fine. Had the Indigenous been treated like actual human beings when the ******* pomes showed up, I guarantee you none of that s**t would've happened to you.
Speaking of fine, what percentage of the stolen generation family tree has integrated seamlessly into the current way of life with no chip on their shoulder?

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Speaking of fine, what percentage of the stolen generation family tree has integrated seamlessly into the current way of life with no chip on their shoulder?

Not sure, but recently I posted some quotes from Rudd's transcript about how it was an attempt to breed out the black gene and eradicate aboriginal culture. Are you gonna tell me that it wasn't and that even if it was, they shouldn't take it personally?

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also, the get over it argument is the shittiest ever. Last openly acknowledged massacre of aboriginal people was in the 1930s, after world war I, but every year we say "lest we forget". Want them to get over it? Get the * over Anzac day then.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure, but recently I posted some quotes from Rudd's transcript about how it was an attempt to breed out the black gene and eradicate aboriginal culture. Are you gonna tell me that it wasn't and that even if it was, they shouldn't take it personally?
Eradicate aboriginal culture? Part of schooling life here 15-20 years ago was promoting aboriginal cultural, through excursions, camps, language classes, naidoc week celebrations. Rudds transcript ? Let me guess written by some Marxist greens party member or something?

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also, the get over it argument is the shittiest ever. Last openly acknowledged massacre of aboriginal people was in the 1930s, after world war I, but every year we say "lest we forget". Want them to get over it? Get the **** over Anzac day then.
Thanks for showing your true colours. You couldn't care less for aboriginal people and their culture, rather the political smugness you can garner for pretending to care

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Eradicate aboriginal culture? Part of schooling life here 15-20 years ago was promoting aboriginal cultural, through excursions, camps, language classes, naidoc week celebrations. Rudds transcript ? Let me guess written by some Marxist greens party member or something?

Yeah, 15-20 years ago, not 45 years ago. He was talking about the first stolen generation, not the ongoing one.

Yeah, okay, out with the "teh leftie greenz" conspiracy card. Right. You do know Rudd was Labor, right? What else should I expect from the Andrew Bolt school of flogs though, right? Same school that teaches conservatards that Aboriginal people are somehow to blame for the problems they're plagued with today, and that it couldn’t possibly have anything to do with anything that's happened in the past because "It happened so long ago! Why should I be made to feel guilty about what my ancestors did?!” Yeah, well no one's trying to make you feel guilty, but if we're going to talk history, we shouldn't ignore aboriginal history because it makes snowflakes like you feel bad.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for showing your true colours. You couldn't care less for aboriginal people and their culture, rather the political smugness you can garner for pretending to care

No, just pointing out your hypocrisy. Why should aboriginals get over what happened in the past when people won't get over Anzac day? Answer: They don't have to get over it, they can mourn the dead and the oppressed of years gone by, just as we mourn the dead for fallen WWI soldiers.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No, just pointing out your hypocrisy. Why should aboriginals get over what happened in the past when people won't get over Anzac day? Answer: They don't have to get over it, they can mourn the dead and the oppressed of years gone by, just as we mourn the dead for fallen WWI soldiers.
So you hate Anzac Day as well. What a surprise, I'm guessing it's the same with Australia Day, Easter, Christmas, queens birthday and Father's Day?

King Brown

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Plenty. Respect for the land and nature is very important. Reliance on family and rules passed down by generations
I don't buy 'respect for the land' argument. That presupposes terra nullius, that the indigenous were at one with the land, essentially part of the flora and fauna. In reality it was anything but - their arrival led to the demise of the Australian megafauna (same as humans everywhere) and their burning of vegetation let to fire tolerant plants dominating the landscape. They are all too like us.

Reliance on family might be good, but that is disappearing in all cultures all over the world. Why should I care about its demise any more than its disappearance in Western culture?

Back