Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that the intent would be to create a ground suitable for the men's team to play pre-season games at too.

I'm OK with not having that as it'd likely only be a game per pre-season. And as much as I want the women's team to succeed, they've been in for 2 seconds so having a top end T&A base is top priority :thumbsu:

Politics. The women are "flavour of the month". Smart move do distance the funding from our needs and focus it on the Lionesses - if we get no funding, they have no where to play.

No.

At present, we have enough funding for the men's facilities with absolutely no contribution from state or federal government. Seemingly, our only opportunity to get state/federal money to add extra value is by attaching it to our women's team.

Thats what I am getting at, we have what we need to go ahead with the facility, we are just now being opotunistic in trying to get a stadium thrown in for the AFLW team.

TBH.. I'd prefer we worry about getting our AFL facility sorted without further muddying the water as that is the number 1 priority, can't we just go ahead with that stage of the project if the money is there?

Thats what I am getting at, we have what we need to go ahead with the facility, we are just now being opotunistic in trying to get a stadium thrown in for the AFLW team.

TBH.. I'd prefer we worry about getting our AFL facility sorted without further muddying the water as that is the number 1 priority, can't we just go ahead with that stage of the project if the money is there?

But we are going ahead with it. No waters are being muddied by continuing to lobby for funding to turn it into a stadium as well.

“We would love a $15 million dollar contribution from the State Government towards the community elements and the stadium. We’ve got the money to do the training stuff for the Club.”
A few things;
  • Community elements also depend on the extra funding. These include, but not limited to things like lecture theatres, bigger pool, cafes, meeting rooms and possibly extra ovals. These are all revenue streams for the club, both directly as rent-able spaces, but also important sources for immersing the club in the community. Recognition and association drives membership and sponsorship $$$$$.
  • The men's reserves team will also have its home here, so things like the stadium seating and associated facilities while not totally necessary, make for a more enjoyable experience and atmosphere than places like the paddock at Coorparoo.
  • From a construction point of view, it is far cheaper and easier to build the complete shebang in one hit than to come back a year later and add extensions and re-dig parts of the grounds. That $30mil now, could need to be $40mil in another year or 2.
Yes, we can go ahead and build training and admin facilities which is the priority, but without the extra funding, in terms of what the entire project could be and in comparison to other AFL clubs, it would remain virtually half arsed, with nothing to generate income.
We're talking $30mil out of an $80mil project. That extra, isn't just some seats and lights for the women. Everyone benefits.

But we are going ahead with it. No waters are being muddied by continuing to lobby for funding to turn it into a stadium as well.

Ohhh sweet, thank you for clarification. I thought it had become all interdependent, excellent. So when we see 'fears over project'.. that is only regarding the stadium?

A contact in Coffs Harbour who is a local councillor has just told me the PM was up there today to announce federal funding for an upgrade to their "International Stadium". Similar situation, local council kicking in some and Cth topping it up. Not the money we are after apparently but seems if there is a political will there is a way.

A contact in Coffs Harbour who is a local councillor has just told me the PM was up there today to announce federal funding for an upgrade to their "International Stadium". Similar situation, local council kicking in some and Cth topping it up. Not the money we are after apparently but seems if there is a political will there is a way.
Unfortunately, Coffs is a National Party stronghold. No surprise an LNP Government continues to pour money into it. Springfield on the other hand...
The federal contribution is pretty much dependant on state funds. They agree to match, dollar for dollar, but we need the State Gov to give.

Unfortunately, Coffs is a National Party stronghold. No surprise an LNP Government continues to pour money into it. Springfield on the other hand...
The federal contribution is pretty much dependant on state funds. They agree to match, dollar for dollar, but we need the State Gov to give.

Oh so true- Ipswich is a Labor Party stronghold and, trust me, if you aren't part of the tribe forget it. All of this lies at the heart of the current Council difficulties [at a recent Board meeting in response to quite gentle questioning I was told by a Council insider that the CCC had been after Pisasle "for years", without success].

My come back- the CCC wouldn't be wasting its time without expecting a return on time invested. We all have bosses.

That said, with a State election soon there is every likelihood that Anastascia will stump up some moola. The current local problems might do with a bit of oil on troubled waters.

Just my opinion.

We really need a couple of wealthy benefactors to donate some good chunks of cash to us and get some infrastructure named after them.

Lions_Insider maybe if we start firing trust funds into the crowd instead of tshirts that'll attract the more hoity toity types to the games.

We really need a couple of wealthy benefactors to donate some good chunks of cash to us and get some infrastructure named after them.

Lions_Insider maybe if we start firing trust funds into the crowd instead of tshirts that'll attract the more hoity toity types to the games.
The last trust fund kid we had fired a club legend in the most cringe worthy way. A way all members should still be ashamed of.

How about we just run a good club and get the members back and leave the f!@#ers to go and find a different play thing.

I'm not having a shot at you, you just hit a nerve.

The last trust fund kid we had fired a club legend in the most cringe worthy way. A way all members should still be ashamed of.

How about we just run a good club and get the members back and leave the f!@#ers to go and find a different play thing.

Yeah I tend to feel that way. Carlton is an excellent example of a board that sunk money in to the Club and expected far too much say over the years. I highly doubt any white knight is not going to want to see a return on their investment in some way and if they don't get it they may start interfering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I tend to feel that way. Carlton is an excellent example of a board that sunk money in to the Club and expected far too much say over the years. I highly doubt any white knight is not going to want to see a return on their investment in some way and if they don't get it they may start interfering.
Our "white knights" have a strongly vested interest and way too much control over the club

How many teams or sports have financial sugar daddies in Australia?

I don't follow a lot of sports or teams in Australia, so the only one I know of is Gerry Ryan personally putting a lot of money in to Australian cycling (mens, womens and junior) and women's basketball.

I don't follow a lot of sports or teams in Australia, so the only one I know of is Gerry Ryan personally putting a lot of money in to Australian cycling (mens, womens and junior) and women's basketball.
Yeah but Gerry still had an interest in promoting jayco and did it hand in hand with Australian Cycling. Slightly different thing because there aren't 18 australian world tour teams vying for a slot. There was one other team just before orica got up, but they managed to kill themselves.

Sorry that wasn't intended - I just mean we don't appear to have much in the way of a financial grounding outside of sponsorships, our single social club that derives majority of its income from poker machines in arguably a lower socioeconomic part of Brisbane, and the AFL throwing us a bone when it gets really bad. So much so that even after all has been said and done about getting this project off the ground after how many years, we're still limited by a fund shortfall.

It was a light hearted (though seemingly poor) joke about encouraging people to come to the Lions and want to invest in the club. I didn't mean for it to sound like we should let that translate into buying their way into making those types of calls again.

Sorry that wasn't intended - I just mean we don't appear to have much in the way of a financial grounding outside of sponsorships, our single social club that derives majority of its income from poker machines in arguably a lower socioeconomic part of Brisbane, and the AFL throwing us a bone when it gets really bad. So much so that even after all has been said and done about getting this project off the ground after how many years, we're still limited by a fund shortfall.

It was a light hearted (though seemingly poor) joke about encouraging people to come to the Lions and want to invest in the club. I didn't mean for it to sound like we should let that translate into buying their way into making those types of calls again.
No need to apologise. All good

Yeah but Gerry still had an interest in promoting jayco and did it hand in hand with Australian Cycling. Slightly different thing because there aren't 18 australian world tour teams vying for a slot. There was one other team just before orica got up, but they managed to kill themselves.
Yes and no.

Gerry has history in supporting Australian athletes and sports. He funded Kathy Watt in her bid to qualify for the Barcelona olympics and has supported cycling long before Greendege, and yes he got to promote Jayco. Cycling Australia recently pulled funding for road cycling and Gerry has stepped up his finance to fill the breach.

Still, my question was which other private individuals put funding in to Australian sports?

I've been out of the industry for a few years now, but that was hardly coincidence.

Logan is the pokie capital of Queensland. It's unfortunate, but widely known that the lower socioeconomic areas play the pokies far more than more well off areas.

Springwood hotel owned by ALH used to jockey for position with Sunnybank hotel as number 1 pokie revenue hotel for ALH. Logan diggers RSL used to be the number venue in Queensland for pokie revenue.

Yes and no.

Gerry has history in supporting Australian athletes and sports. He funded Kathy Watt in her bid to qualify for the Barcelona olympics and has supported cycling long before Greendege, and yes he got to promote Jayco. Cycling Australia recently pulled funding for road cycling and Gerry has stepped up his finance to fill the breach.

Still, my question was which other private individuals put funding in to Australian sports?
Frank Lowy banked rolled soccer in Australia

Larry Kestleman is doing for it basketball in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back