Analysis Derek Hine

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
"Rookie pick 2015.........tell me when to stop mate!"

You know you were being a flog... Don't try and deflect.

Ok then.............:rolleyes:

Aggressive much?
When did I say there wasn't one player better?
All I said was that there were no real standouts at the back end of that draft. Shoot me!
We got a guy who came 7th in the rising star this year at the back end of that draft :p

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Papley was hidden and had family connections. He didn't try in the year leading up to his draft.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pull that trigger, and I'll be back for you...

image.jpeg

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hine picks blue collar footballers which Is why it worked so well under Malthouse coaching style. however it does not work well with Buckley because his game plan is centred around skill .

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hine picks blue collar footballers which Is why it worked so well under Malthouse coaching style. however it does not work well with Buckley because his game plan is centred around skill .
Why can't we do both?

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
not saying we can't but you still need to recruit for the main attributes and in this case Hine does not

We got a guy who came 7th in the rising star this year at the back end of that draft :p

Might be a good runner, can't kick the ball for s**t, this is becoming a common occurrence in our squad.

Might be a good runner, can't kick the ball for s**t, this is becoming a common occurrence in our squad.
True, Phillips' kicking is heart in mouth stuff, but Swan couldn't kick for s**t either when he first started.

He's still been pretty decent considering where he was taken in the draft. Better than Sier at least!

Mathieson is one I'm quite glad we bypassed. One of the most dislikable blokes I've seen on the footy field
Absolutely, he's a flog of the highest order, but there's no denying he's been a decent pick up for the Lions.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our drafting has been diabolical since the Reid/Dawes/Brown draft.

We have picked up some good players, sure, but the planning has been nonexistent. Too many similar types. Other than Moore who was a free hit father son choice, I don't think we picked a KPP in the first three rounds of the main draft in ten years. We have no key position players. I wonder how that happened....

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

We have picked up some good players, sure, but the planning has been nonexistent. Too many similar types. Other than Moore who was a free hit father son choice, I don't think we picked a KPP in the first three rounds of the main draft in ten years. We have no key position players. I wonder how that happened....

We didn't use a first round on a key position player, except Moore, since 2007. Crazy s**t.

CarnMags

Senior List
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Winning at the draft is not easy - Hine has been pretty good over the years.

I think not having a first round draft pick for two years hurts his cause.

A few things that really sting:

1. Jake Kelly not on our list
2. Tom Stewart not on our list
3. Peter Wright not on our list (took DeGoey at #5)

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

One problem is that Marsh walked out in February didn't he? Would have been a much better team with him there.

One problem is that Marsh walked out in February didn't he? Would have been a much better team with him there.
No. Marsh walked out during last years trade period. He requested a trade but neither of the WA clubs were interested so he quit and we delisted him.

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood

We have traded our first round pick 5 of the last 10yrs. Plus during that time GWS and GC dominated the 1st rds. Kind of hard to come up with draft gold in that situation.

Back