The best "spine" in the history of VFL/AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
No, this thread isn't about the player with the best vertebra or the best posture. It is about picking the best players that form the "spine" of the key positions:
- Full Forward
- Centre Half Foward
- Ruckman
- 2 Midfielders
- Centre Half Back
- Full Back
You can pick any player from any team in any era. Go ahead, show us your best spine!

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think it would be tough to beat 2 eras.

Michael
Leppitsch
Voss
Black
Brown
Lynch
Keating

Akermanis bloody stiff to miss.

Or Hawks Circa 86

Langford
Mew
Platten
Dipper
Brereton
Dunstall
Dear

The 85 side would have had Matthews in it although it lost to Essendon.

Both had dual Brownlow medallists hawks probably pip them with Dunstall being arguably the greatest FF of all time.

Last edited:

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm only gonna choose from players I've seen.

Traditional spine:

FF: Tony Lockett
CHF: Wayne Carey
C: Greg Williams
CHB: Ross Glendinning
FB: Stephen Silvagni

Ruck & Mid: Simon Madden & Ablett Jnr

For a ruck-mid combo who worked together I'd go Cox & Judd from WCE.

Hard to top that, only change id make is I'd have Jackovich instead of Glendinning.

Maybe Polly Farmer as ruck, but i never saw him play and just going by the legends...

I think it would be tough to beat 2 eras.

Michael
Leppitsch
Voss
Black
Brown
Lynch
Charman

Akermanis bloody stiff to miss.

Or Hawks Circa 86

Langford
Mew
Platten
Dipper
Brereton
Dunstall
Dear

The 85 side would have had Matthews in it although it lost to Essendon.

Both had dual Brownlow medallists hawks probably pip them with Dunstall being arguably the greatest FF of all time.
Charman , LOL

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought the premise was the team with the best spine? Not just the best players ever in their position lumped together to make a spine that never actually played together? If it's the former then I'd have no idea because my knowledge of footy extends back to about 2005/06 due to my age and most of the greats played well before that

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Scarlett
Taylor
Ablett
Mooney
Hawkins

Ottens
Selwood.

Hawkins the weakest spot for mine unless I drag Dougie Wade from the past and drop him in there.

For a combination

Scarlett
Glendenning
Williams
Carey
Lockett

If I want a pure tap ruckman to shovel it down the mid fields throat then I'd have NicNat otherwise I'd take Simon Madden with Jnr as the rover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I thought the premise was the team with the best spine? Not just the best players ever in their position lumped together to make a spine that never actually played together? If it's the former then I'd have no idea because my knowledge of footy extends back to about 2005/06 due to my age and most of the greats played well before that
Was also my interpretation

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Scarlett
Taylor
Ablett
Mooney
Hawkins

Ottens
Selwood.

Hawkins the weakest spot for mine unless I drag Dougie Wade from the past and drop him in there.

For a combination

Scarlett
Glendenning
Williams
Carey
Lockett

If I want a pure tap ruckman to shovel it down the mid fields throat then I'd have NicNat otherwise I'd take Simon Madden with Jnr as the rover.
No steven Renolydson notable

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Lets see, from about then onwards you could still have a cracker:

Scarlett
Glass
Ablett
Franklin
Fevola

Cox and Judd

Would stand toe to toe with the best of them I reckon

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Langford
Mew
Mitchell
Buddy
Dunstall
Madden, Matthews

Weve never had a BIS ruckman so I had to look elsewhere for that one.

If the team actually had to play a game then I'd prefer Dermott over Buddy at CHF. Controversial, I know but I think he plays better and has more value around other elite talent. In an average team, i'd take Buddy over Dermott. Also, Dermott was more of a traditional spine player than Buddy.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
No steven Renolydson notable

Lol, yeah we've been a bit light on for a chf over the years I've been watching. I only got the last few years of Sam. Stoneham looked like he was going to make it his own before he broke his leg so Moons, who I rate very highly as a footballer, has been the best and most durable in my time.

Reynoldson may have got a look in if they'd asked for the biggest figjams that actually did * all with their talent.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol, yeah we've been a bit light on for a chf over the years I've been watching. I only got the last few years of Sam. Stoneham looked like he was going to make it his own before he broke his leg so Moons, who I rate very highly as a footballer, has been the best and most durable in my time.

Reynoldson may have got a look in if they'd asked for the biggest figjams that actually did **** all with their talent.
G Exell full forward emergency

Back