Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

NTRabbit

Jon Anderson follows the rise of Matt and Brad Crouch from star juniors to elite Crows

SOMETIMES it’s all about the decisions you make. Say, for instance, had Adelaide’s two key recruiters not chosen to travel to Warrnambool on May 1, 2011.

It would have meant Matt Rendell and Hamish Ogilvie missing a half-backflanker for the North Ballarat Rebels named Brad Crouch gathering 35 disposals off a half-back flank, including 19 contested possessions, six clearances and a dashing goal.

And maybe led to the Adelaide Crows not possessing two of the AFL’s most hard-nosed combatants in the forms of Brad and Matt Crouch.

Twenty years ago the Crouch brothers would have been called Brad and Chris Scott, such is their old-fashioned desire for anything that involves competition or fierceness for possession of that red ball.
Ogilvie, who is now Adelaide’s national recruiting manager, first became aware of Brad Crouch when he played in the National U16 Championships for Vic Country.

“When he was a 17-year-old I saw him playing for Ballarat against Geelong at Warrnambool. He played half-back and kicked this goal which was the moment Matty (Rendell) and I said ‘wow, this bloke is a bit better than just a really talented 17-year-old’,” recalled Ogilvie

Originally, this was going to be a tale of two kids from Beaufort who have helped put a small former Goldfields town back on the map, 160 years since its halcyon days.

The Crouch brothers have never lived in Beaufort, yet for all intents and purposes they are the most famous products along with Shane O’Bree of a place that can put the “C” into cold in the middle of winter.

Google the brothers and you will find all types of Beaufort mentions; even reference the AFL Media Guide and Beaufort proudly appears as their football place of beginning.

And weren’t the Crouch brothers both seen supporting the Beaufort Crows when they went down to the Hepburn Burras in the Central Highlands League Grand Final last weekend?

As their Ballarat-based father Phil explains, it has become something of a bush myth but one the family is more than happy to go along with.
“They’ve never lived in the town but both played a year with the seniors when aged 16 and the Beaufort people like to claim the boys as their own, which is fair enough given they were around the local footy club a lot when they were young,” said Phil Crouch.

“We aren’t a family that are really big on the media stuff so we haven’t corrected it, and anyway, the boys are happy to go along with it because the Beaufort Crows will always be their footy club.”

Phil and Debbie Crouch are teachers and when Phil got moved to Beaufort they decided to become involved in the community through football and netball.
“They are a throwback to a different generation,” Ogilvie said.
They wanted an inside midfielder in a draft in which Patrick Cripps, Luke Dunstan and George Hewett fitted that bill.

“We were hoping like hell that Matt would get to our pick,” Ogilvie said. “It was a tricky draft that had four or five really high-quality inside-mids.

“We worked it and worked it, twisted it every way and voted and argued because it was so hard to separate those kids on performances.

“Obviously Matt got a couple of extra ticks because his brother was at the club but his performances on his own stacked up.”

Adelaide thought that Matt Crouch would make it through to pick 15, but the club was not sure he would last until their pick 23.

“We went up to see them the next day and Debbie was so relieved, saying she had a dream the night before the draft that he would get to Adelaide,” Ogilvie said.

“Old-school country fellas who have a beer after the game, just good, hard, honest blokes.

“It was great they had played against men, understood the changeroom and when not to talk.”

“At under-18 level Brad was a running half-back who kicked the ball a lot and kicked goals, broke the 50 and not playing as much on ball, whereas Matt was the real inside mid accumulator like Matt Priddis.

“They were very different. Brad has become that inside player.”

Last edited:
Saw Matt and his GF at Harbor Town today.
If you think Matty scored by getting an AA this year, you should see his GF.
Nice work Matty.
Hes actually taller than I thought.
It's not just the players. Ever since I become a Bigfooty "Norm Smith Medalist" the ladies are banging down my door. There's nothing that screams sex appeal quite like a guy who spends most of his spare time on footbal forums.

Matt had been criticized early on by some for lacking pace, but I have not observed him to be slow or exposed due to restricted pace. He also seems to have built up a fair tank. Are there any stats available on this athletic abilities? Eg 20m sprint, relatively recent beep test etc.

Matt had been criticized early on by some for lacking pace, but I have not observed him to be slow or exposed due to restricted pace. He also seems to have built up a fair tank. Are there any stats available on this athletic abilities? Eg 20m sprint, relatively recent beep test etc.
Tried looking on the Telstra tracker but it only gives you top 5s. I haven't noticed him being burned for pace or not working hard enough this year though.

He's no Usain Bolt, but we don't need him to be. That's not his job

$4 on ladbrokes for Matt Crouch 32+ possessions and Crows win for the punting inclined.

Gamble responsibly.

$4 on ladbrokes for Matt Crouch 32+ possessions and Crows win for the punting inclined.

Gamble responsibly.
Serious question - when was the last time we almost took for granted we could depend on a 22yo like we do with Matt? (not that I take it for granted, damn I want him to have a huge one on Saturday)

EDIT - probably Talia - he was 22 during his B&F winning year; Sloane was 23 in his, so was Douggie in 2010)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Matt Crouch needs 33 to go past Swan for the most disposals ever in a season. Would say he's probably even odds to get that, considering his average of 32.83.
Almost certain to go at least into the no. 2 position, as he needs 15 more.

Also a chance to go past Oliver 2017 for most handballs in a season, as he needs 20 more.

Just looking at some Champion Data stats.
Matt ranks 3rd this year in the AFL in disposals at an average of 32.9 per game at 72.1% eff
as Rocket said he is only 22!

out of the Champion Data top 10 average stats we did really well

Marks T Lynch #8
Score Involvements #3 Tex #7 T Lynch
Hit outs to advantage #5 Sauce @ 11.3
Centre clearances #10 Sloane
Stoppage clearance no Crow but I was surprised Rockliff #1
Meters gained #8 Brodie Smith
Pressure points #4 Sloane #6 Greenwood
Tackles #2 Sloane #6 Greenwood # 10 B Crouch

I know i was against baiting the Rabbit.... but has he appeared in this thread since our GWS win?

Nope? Didn't think so. Hopefully he'll appear after a successful GF for his medicine. It would be good for all if could move on
Don't hold your breath...

To be fair to the Rabbit, I don't think anyone could predict the meteoric rise that Matt has done in the space of 12 months. From a solid B grader to nearly a Brownlow medallist (he's not likely to rank high this year, but his performances in the past half a year is Brownlow worthy). This year is made of legendary stuff by the Crouch Bros. Hoping they can just stretch this form for one more game, and then noone in Australia will ever doubt the Crouch Bros' footballing abilities again, Crows fans or otherwise!

Both the Crouch brothers really seem to be getting in sync with the runners we play off the back of the square from centre bounces too and look to roll off a pack and fire out the wide handball to a free man. Not just a blind hack forward anymore as much.

To be fair to the Rabbit, I don't think anyone could predict the meteoric rise that Matt has done in the space of 12 months. From a solid B grader to nearly a Brownlow medallist (he's not likely to rank high this year, but his performances in the past half a year is Brownlow worthy). This year is made of legendary stuff by the Crouch Bros. Hoping they can just stretch this form for one more game, and then noone in Australia will ever doubt the Crouch Bros' footballing abilities again, Crows fans or otherwise!
Here you go, from March this year:

Lol. Mrouch is an absolute gun. Will be competing with Rory and Eddie for our B&F this year.

And I wasn't alone. There were plenty of us who could see how good this guy was going to be. There really was only one massive naysayer.

Here you go, from March this year:

And I wasn't alone. There were plenty of us who could see how good this guy was going to be. There really was only one massive naysayer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of both the Crouch Bros from even last year. However, the consistency and skills have gone to another level regarding Matt this year. I think the real improvement coincided around the time Sloane was starting to be tagged heavily, which gave Matt more added responsibilities.

"ADELAIDE'S Crouch brothers need to collect a combined 60 disposals against West Coast in Perth on Sunday to set a unique record held by Port Adelaide's Cornes brothers.

Sixty touches between them would see the Beaufort ball magnets pass a record the Cornes brothers set in 2007 when playing for the cross-town rivals of the most combined total disposals by brothers in a home and away season.

Matt and Brad have had 1,115 disposals between them this season, but Champion Data statistics show they are a chance to pass the combined total of 1,174 disposals Kane and Chad set in 2007."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-...-record?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Small matter of course that the Cornes bros played every game and Brad has missed 5 games

So avge disposals per player per game:
Cornes 2007 - 26.7
Crouch 2017 - 30.1

So if they don;t break it this year, they'll smash it next year.

Also seriously, the "record" is the Selwoods when they were playing for different teams? Yeah. Nah.

Hey, did we forget to acknowledge this feat after the West Coast game?

With combined 87 disposals (or was that 88) from the game, Matt & Brad's season total of 1,202 smashes the Cornes' 1,174 total from 2007.

[0.5mb]

Did we have records of other pairings' season totals or do the Crouches also hold that record now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back