Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy...

I have a corporate box directly behind my seats at Etihad so it's often filled with casual supporters of the teams playing. Anyway, yesterday I had the most obnoxious bitch behind me with the worst scream/yell on her. She wouldn't shut up and had no clue. She kept complaining about BJ and saying things like "do something Goddard" and whining when he wouldn't tackle a player who was more than 10m from him.

The guy had 20 touches to half time and did some great things - I think he 'did something' plenty of times. He takes risks with his kicks and sometimes they don't come off but when they do come off it really creates some great opportunities for us.

I understand why some people will never fully love a player who played most of their career elsewhere, but I for one love this bloke. He gives his all and just wants the team to do the best it can. Sure he can be a bit pointy and pretzel spilly at times, but you take those things when he brings the obvious quality that he brings.

Skim past the pure statistics and it would appear alot of his kicks were picked up across the centre line and behind.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed his year but the last couple of weeks he has been mostly a nothing player in a red sashed black jumper out there. Neither contributing nor deriling our efforts.

Would hope a player of his capabilities can re jig his output and help impact the game more than he has the past few weeks

Skim past the pure statistics and it would appear alot of his kicks were picked up across the centre line and behind.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed his year but the last couple of weeks he has been mostly a nothing player in a red sashed black jumper out there. Neither contributing nor deriling our efforts.

Would hope a player of his capabilities can re jig his output and help impact the game more than he has the past few weeks

Who would have thought a defender would pick up possessions in the centre and behind? You've really uncovered something here. You should ring Worsfold and let him know Goddard is sneaking into the back line without anyone's knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goddard was critical in giving composure, thrust and skill coming out of the back half. He played his role to perfection in the absence of Hurley.

Who would have thought a defender would pick up possessions in the centre and behind? You've really uncovered something here. You should ring Worsfold and let him know Goddard is sneaking into the back line without anyone's knowledge

Pull your head in. You know what I mean

A lot were junk stats. Cheap kicks. Easy marks.

Pull your head in. You know what I mean

A lot were junk stats. Cheap kicks. Easy marks.

The game is made up of 'junk stats', where have you been for the last 5 games. It's about possession and territory now, not crash and bash and kicking to contests.

I assume when you say junk stats you are talking about the chains across half back where they switch, them switch back, then switch again, then turn it over to the opposition by finally trying to make progress? Unfortunately all teams are doing this. Goddard didn't construct the game plan, so don't criticize him for putting it into practice.

This guy...

I have a corporate box directly behind my seats at Etihad so it's often filled with casual supporters of the teams playing. Anyway, yesterday I had the most obnoxious bitch behind me with the worst scream/yell on her. She wouldn't shut up and had no clue. She kept complaining about BJ and saying things like "do something Goddard" and whining when he wouldn't tackle a player who was more than 10m from him.

The guy had 20 touches to half time and did some great things - I think he 'did something' plenty of times. He takes risks with his kicks and sometimes they don't come off but when they do come off it really creates some great opportunities for us.

I understand why some people will never fully love a player who played most of their career elsewhere, but I for one love this bloke. He gives his all and just wants the team to do the best it can. Sure he can be a bit pointy and pretzel spilly at times, but you take those things when he brings the obvious quality that he brings.
There are people everywhere who do this, it shits me so much.

Some people have no clue.

There are people everywhere who do this, it shits me so much.

Some people have no clue.
And sort of I get it because he's an adopted Bomber, but get over yourself and support the player that he is and has been for us.

And sort of I get it because he's an adopted Bomber, but get over yourself and support the player that he is and has been for us.
I don't get that, it's irrelevant. As opposed to many who don't choose to get drafted to Essendon, he chose to come to us, then stuck fat and led through a mountain of unbelievable bullshit only to continue being in our top 10 performers most weeks.

Reality is, most people need someone to point the finger at when frustrated. The irony is they point the finger at him for pointing his finger at others.

Stupid hypocrites the lot of them.

Last edited:
I don't get that, it's irrelevant. As opposed to many who don't choose to get drafted to Essendon, he chose to come to us, then stuck fat and lead through a mountain of unbelievable bullshit only to continue being in our top 10 performers most weeks.

Reality is, most people need someone to point the finger at when frustrated. The irony is they point the finger at him for pointing his finger at others.

Stupid hypocrites the lot of them.
Well, a lot of our supporters are jerks. I still remember Lucas getting bronx cheers when he marked a ball after he was having a dirty day in 2009. I'm gonna say it was the Brisbane draw but not 100%. w***ers.

In team of the week.

BRENDON GODDARD (Essendon): Patrolled the back half with 32 touches – at an efficiency rate of 84.4 per cent – and took 15 marks, the most of any individual this round.
Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might need to refrain from looking at Facebook comments about this guy, it's hard to resist the urge to stick up for him.

Massive amounts of disrespect for this guy from our supporters he deserves a lot better. In the media he has been huge for us, nobody has been more outspoken in defending our club and players during the saga

I might need to refrain from looking at Facebook comments about this guy, it's hard to resist the urge to stick up for him.

Massive amounts of disrespect for this guy from our supporters he deserves a lot better. In the media he has been huge for us, nobody has been more outspoken in defending our club and players during the saga
footy fans in complete and utter ******* shock, news at 11

footy fans in complete and utter ******* shock, news at 11
84df3cf26bb24e54e3c552e623b6e06b--los-simpsons-emoji.jpg

i would like us to stop playing him in defence.
get a rebounding HBF, put Gleeson in that 7th defender/mid role.
Goddard on the ball please. We were looking good early season when he was in that role.

Goddard's had a fabulous season when you consider he has changed roles several times during the year - In saying that, he needs to be settled in one position for 2018.

Last edited:
Heppell, Goddard, Merrett @ TBC's feet.
McGrath & Parish on the wings. McKenna running off the back of the square.
Looks fine but we also need to take into account that you can't have these blokes there 100% of the time. God I hope Stringer can be our Martin-type. It's a big stretch (seeing as we don't have him and Martin is twice as good ATM), but he has the exact type of explosive inside/outside capabilities that would take a massive load off those players mentioned.

Heppell, Goddard, Merrett @ TBC's feet.
McGrath & Parish on the wings. McKenna running off the back of the square.

That's asking for the opposition to waltz away from any clearance we don't get our hands on first.

All good players. Minimal defensive pressure (Merrett 'acceptable')

Remove this Banner Ad

Back