All things horse racing

Remove this Banner Ad

Winx the brilliant horse won her 20th straight win, she's magnificent.

Not sure she looks all conquering but gets the job done

Alamandin destroyed his opposition today at Flemington.

The Melbourne Cup winner looks better this year thus far.

The extra weight he'll carry might be telling in the great race, but he's set the bar.

The extra weight he'll carry might be telling in the great race, but he's set the bar.

I slighty discount his win. Oliver rode for luck and got it. They didnt go around a horse.

I slighty discount his win. Oliver rode for luck and got it. They didnt go around a horse.
All true.

But brained them nonetheless.

His big challenge is the increased weight he'll carry. But his form looking rock solid

56kg in the cup will be nothing for him. What's that up on last year? 1.5?

He did it with 61kg on Saturday albeit over a much shorter distance but absolutely killed them and left them for dead.

My worry is has he peaked too early? He had no racing this year up until a couple weeks ago and that win on Saturday has me feeling like it's too good to be true. The cup isn't til November.

He did it with 61kg on Saturday albeit over a much shorter distance but absolutely killed them and left them for dead.

My worry is has he peaked too early? He had no racing this year up until a couple weeks ago and that win on Saturday has me feeling like it's too good to be true. The cup isn't til November.
Almandine going from last year's 52kg to this year 56.5 kg.
So that's a 4.5kg rise which may be telling.
But it's not brutal.
Yes he carried 61 kg on Saturday but a weaker field and the race had great speed early stringing them out and turning it to a terrific staying test. The cream rose to the top.

He would be a major player. I'd not be fussed in how much he races, the stable is very astute in getting their horses fit early. In fact they go with the theory the horse has to be fit one month early and maintain it.

Certainly a nice horse.

Long range prospect, I'd be very keen to see Francis Of Assisi this spring.
Was mesmerising winning the Queen Elizabeth last spring.

Been looking forward to spring

Almandine going from last year's 52kg to this year 56.5 kg.
So that's a 4.5kg rise which may be telling.
But it's not brutal.
Yes he carried 61 kg on Saturday but a weaker field and the race had great speed early stringing them out and turning it to a terrific staying test. The cream rose to the top.

He would be a major player. I'd not be fussed in how much he races, the stable is very astute in getting their horses fit early. In fact they go with the theory the horse has to be fit one month early and maintain it.

Certainly a nice horse.

Long range prospect, I'd be very keen to see Francis Of Assisi this spring.
Was mesmerising winning the Queen Elizabeth last spring.

Been looking forward to spring

What's an extra 4kg usually worth in terms of lengths around the 3200m at Flemington?

Winx the brilliant horse won her 20th straight win, she's magnificent.

Not sure she looks all conquering but gets the job done
The figures say she's going as well as ever, only difference is she's racing on rock-hard, leader-ish tracks. And the opposition are trying to put her to the sword.

Hence why she visually isn't trucking into races like the Winx of previous preps.

Will be lucky to have another run before The Cup.

Lloyd has this horse absolutely humming, have fun trying to topple him over the two mile on that first Tuesday. Weight won't stop him.

Lloyd has this horse absolutely humming, have fun trying to topple him over the two mile on that first Tuesday. Weight won't stop him.

I won't be having fun trying to topple him over. I'll be backing him.

Backed him in the cup last year. Albeit the odds are much shorter this time around.

I won't be having fun trying to topple him over. I'll be backing him.

Backed him in the cup last year. Albeit the odds are much shorter this time around.
He's the one.

Red Cardinal, depending on lead-up in the Herbert Power, could be push him. But he'd have to find 2-3 lengths. Which they occasionally can do in AUS.

Still wouldn't bank on it, though. As for Almandin, bombproof and the further the better. World-class.

The figures say she's going as well as ever, only difference is she's racing on rock-hard, leader-ish tracks. And the opposition are trying to put her to the sword.

Hence why she visually isn't trucking into races like the Winx of previous preps.
As good a summation as you'd get.
Spot on.

And she'll win the Cox plate with comfort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll take an educated guess and he'll go around once more at about mile and a haof.
He did two 2400m races last time, the Harry White 2400m Caulfield (equivalent to this coming Saturday meeting) followed by the Bart Cummings on Turnbull day.

So I'm assuming he'll go in the Bart Cummings or maybe even throw at the stumps in the Caulfield Cup.
As any win for him won't attract a penalty as the new rule is any Caulfield Cup winner who has 56kg can't get more weight.

But the Caulfield race is more taxing so I'd say they'll go the Bart Cummings.

He's the one.

Red Cardinal, depending on lead-up in the Herbert Power, could be push him. But he'd have to find 2-3 lengths. Which they occasionally can do in AUS.

Still wouldn't bank on it, though. As for Almandin, bombproof and the further the better. World-class.
I'd be keen to hear your views on Francis Of Assisi as a danger Cup horse.
Seeing is believing and he brained them, ten lengths in the Queen Elizabeth.
So I'll be keen on him thus far, assuming he brings his form.

I'll take an educated guess and he'll go around once more at about mile and a haof.
He did two 2400m races last time, the Harry White 2400m Caulfield (equivalent to this coming Saturday meeting) followed by the Bart Cummings on Turnbull day.

So I'm assuming he'll go in the Bart Cummings or maybe even throw at the stumps in the Caulfield Cup.
As any win for him won't attract a penalty as the new rule is any Caulfield Cup winner who has 56kg can't get more weight.

But the Caulfield race is more taxing so I'd say they'll go the Bart Cummings.
Led to believe won't be the Caulfield Cup, the gap (17 days) to The Cup itself won't suit.

So assume, if he does go around again, it'll be the Bart Cummings.

What's an extra 4kg usually worth in terms of lengths around the 3200m at Flemington?
Weights to distance, tracks all have bearings.

I sort of think if you think 1 kg to 1 length you're getting a taste of what it is.
It's more complex as big v little horse etc.

But usually a lighter weighted winner of the cup jumps up about 4 or 4.5kg the next year as they nearly always get 56kg plus.

Remembering a mare gets an allowance so to speak to the boys.

Also if the nominations were a bit weaker and the cup winner was deemed to get the top weight then he must be allocated 58kg at weight release time.

I'd be keen to hear your views on Francis Of Assisi as a danger Cup horse.
Seeing is believing and he brained them, ten lengths in the Queen Elizabeth.
So I'll be keen on him thus far, assuming he brings his form.
High quality animal, and Godolphin are very pleased with the 54kgs in both the Caulfield & Melbourne Cups.

Slight query on his resumption @ Haydock when he one-batted a touch a month ago, could argue soft ground didn't suit.

Top 3 seed in Caulfield Cup, at this stage. And we'll assess further once thats run & won.

High quality animal, and Godolphin are very pleased with the 54kgs in both the Caulfield & Melbourne Cups.

Slight query on his resumption @ Haydock when he one-batted a touch a month ago, could argue soft ground didn't suit.

Top 3 seed in Caulfield Cup, at this stage. And we'll assess further once thats run & won.

Never change saintly. As intelligent as ever.

Now, which horses do I look out for this spring? :p

I don't think Winx can win the Cox plate, big call i know but she won't be racing against the likes of HappyClapper and Fox(?) in that race, i don't think she's come back as good this time, but time will tell.

I don't think Winx can win the Cox plate, big call i know but she won't be racing against the likes of HappyClapper and Fox(?) in that race, i don't think she's come back as good this time, but time will tell.

Foxplay. Good horse that ...

Foxplay. Good horse that ...
Yep very good, but hardly Cox Plate good, over her last 2 starts Winx has had around 4 lengths on Foxplay (if you factor in Winx missing the start by 4 lengths 3 starts back), and she's been pushed out, as i said time will tell but if she starts shorter than $1.60 in the plate it's a bad bet, backing her has pretty much always been a bad bet though with all the Grandmother money that goes on her, she had no right to start $1.10 last weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back