Analysis Coaching discussion 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like the age excuse but it says we had the 9th youngest team for round 23, not the whole season.

So all that says is their is only a difference of Pedersen and Melk between us and the bottom 4. By the time next year rolls around I don't expect much youth to be getting a go so we will age again

So all that says is their is only a difference of Pedersen and Melk between us and the bottom 4. By the time next year rolls around I don't expect much youth to be getting a go so we will age again

Depends really, I mean in 2 years time Lewis and Vince won't be there and Jones will be on his way out but the core of our side will be in their prime.

The end to this year just reinforced to me that whilst we have a very promising group I'm not sure if the current leadership will be enough to win us finals. We might have to wait for Hogan/Petracca/Brayshaw/Oliver etc to hit 100+ games for us to become a gun side, because our senior players are still very average compared to some other sides. I've got some genuine worries about Gawn (Even if he isn't a one year wonder a la Jamar he struggles to play a full season) and the rest of our leaders aside from TMac are likely to worsen in the next 12-24 months.

Depends really, I mean in 2 years time Lewis and Vince won't be there and Jones will be on his way out but the core of our side will be in their prime.

The end to this year just reinforced to me that whilst we have a very promising group I'm not sure if the current leadership will be enough to win us finals. We might have to wait for Hogan/Petracca/Brayshaw/Oliver etc to hit 100+ games for us to become a gun side, because our senior players are still very average compared to some other sides. I've got some genuine worries about Gawn (Even if he isn't a one year wonder a la Jamar he struggles to play a full season) and the rest of our leaders aside from TMac are likely to worsen in the next 12-24 months.
Fit Viney helps

I just watched the video with Goodwin, pretty bleh. Didn't even answer questions directly, just waffled.

Club is wasting its time putting out videos like that, either actually say something useful or nothing at all. I understood why they put it out but geez.

Maybe our new backline coach will teach them not to all try and punch every ball inside 50.

Or at least punch with authority. Of all the bad memories from Round 23 Jayden Hunt's crab handed attempt to rush from the square which set up another first quarter goal will take the longest to get over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe our new backline coach will teach them not to all try and punch every ball inside 50.
It'd actually be nice to see not 5 melbourne players go up to mark in a pack in front of goal for a change

It'd actually be nice to see not 5 melbourne players go up to mark in a pack in front of goal for a change

As someone else said on here that will come with trust and experience with the zone. It seems they are all told to make as many contests as you can but there needs to be an awareness where by if you see that Tmac is close enough to spoil then everyone else need to find a man on the ground and get goal side.

As someone else said on here that will come with trust and experience with the zone. It seems they are all told to make as many contests as you can but there needs to be an awareness where by if you see that Tmac is close enough to spoil then everyone else need to find a man on the ground and get goal side.
I very much hope so.

One interesting result of the 5 players spoiling each other to the forward mark is that I discovered, with some surprise, that in those particular situations then our Pedo is probably the most likely to clunk it (if not ****ed up by 4 other teammates).

I have underrated the Pedo man. He used to depress me, Matt Jones style, because I always saw him as a kind of symbol of our lack of depth - i.e. "oh no... we're picking this guy again because we don't have anyone better..." but over the past year he has justified his inclusion and I would buy him a beer or a fancy drink or whatever.

I very much hope so.

One interesting result of the 5 players spoiling each other to the forward mark is that I discovered, with some surprise, that in those particular situations then our Pedo is probably the most likely to clunk it (if not ****** up by 4 other teammates).

I have underrated the Pedo man. He used to depress me, Matt Jones style, because I always saw him as a kind of symbol of our lack of depth - i.e. "oh no... we're picking this guy again because we don't have anyone better..." but over the past year he has justified his inclusion and I would buy him a beer or a fancy drink or whatever.
I saw him at JB HiFi at Knox and it surprised me that he wasn't that big. This impressed me even more knowing how well he did holding up the ruck spot while Gawn was out. Besides his courageous spoil in the last round, he pretty much did stuff all. So he is prone to go missing, and more likely to go missing when Gawn plays. Important player for us though.

I very much hope so.

One interesting result of the 5 players spoiling each other to the forward mark is that I discovered, with some surprise, that in those particular situations then our Pedo is probably the most likely to clunk it (if not ****** up by 4 other teammates).

He went back with the flight against both Brisbane and Collingwood fully aware he would get crunched both times. I love the man, he deserves to have a mad Monday dressed as Rolf Harris

I saw him at JB HiFi at Knox and it surprised me that he wasn't that big. This impressed me even more knowing how well he did holding up the ruck spot while Gawn was out. Besides his courageous spoil in the last round, he pretty much did stuff all. So he is prone to go missing, and more likely to go missing when Gawn plays. Important player for us though.
Yes - I was surprised too that he's not vast, but I think he uses what he has pretty well. And I agree he has some flaws but he has been a trooper and I think he is a better footballer than I thought he was.

Also, did you see what he was buying at JB HiFi? It would be interesting to know if he is a Breaking Bad man or a Sopranos man, or whether he is secretly collecting episodes of Degrassi Junior High or whatever.

Yes - I was surprised too that he's not vast, but I think he uses what he has pretty well. And I agree he has some flaws but he has been a trooper and I think he is a better footballer than I thought he was.

Also, did you see what he was buying at JB HiFi? It would be interesting to know if he is a Breaking Bad man or a Sopranos man, or whether he is secretly collecting episodes of Degrassi Junior High or whatever.
He was buying a CD

ROLF_HARRIS_SING-ALONG%2BWITH%2BROLF%2BHARRIS%2B-%2BSONGS%2BFOR%2BKIDS-374012.jpg

Goodwin has been on 927 in the mornings as the coaching analyst for the sides competing in the finals.

In dissecting one of the games over the weekend, he noted that he likes to have controlled ball movement to allow the backline to zone up the ground and keep the ball on the front half. I think this explains why we see a lot of easy goals out the back. A) we handball a lot at times under pressure and b) our kicking skills are just at that elite level yet.

I look at the Adelaide game which I think was our most complete game for the season and our ball control the night was so good.

Goodwin has been on 927 in the mornings as the coaching analyst for the sides competing in the finals.

In dissecting one of the games over the weekend, he noted that he likes to have controlled ball movement to allow the backline to zone up the ground and keep the ball on the front half. I think this explains why we see a lot of easy goals out the back. A) we handball a lot at times under pressure and b) our kicking skills are just at that elite level yet.

I look at the Adelaide game which I think was our most complete game for the season and our ball control the night was so good.

I think Goodwin needa to learn that just having large numbers around our 50 doesn't equal $$

It makes it ******* hard for us to score and doesn't work when half your forwards couldn't get a tackle in a fishing store.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back