Bluemour Discussion Thread VI (cont. in Part VII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. And guess who we'll be competing against in finals in a few years...

Meanwhile, Rocky will have 1 foot in the retirement village.

If it triggers band 1 we need to stay right away...

No point worrying about what other teams are doing.

It would be ridiculous not to get rocky just because Brisbane get a good compo haha

If it frees us up to move Gibbs on and get some good picks the benefits will be huge for us.

Has the band on free agency compensation changed with the recent salary cap change? I'd imagine it has, given it was raised what 20%?

So even if we give Rockliff $700k that mightn't trigger band one anymore, would need to be around the 900k mark with the 20% raise.

Now the clowns on Talking Footy are talking about a 3 way trade.

Cameron to Brisbane
Gibbs to Adelaide
Rockliff to Carlton

No mention of Rockliff being a free agent.

Channel changed.
I don't even bother with TF for this reason. Complete dumb arses.

My understanding is that to trigger Band 1 compo you need to be in the top 5% of the AFL wage scale. In 2015 that would have been $800k per year. In 2018 it will likely be +$850K. There is no way known SOS will bring in Rockcliffe on that kind of money front-ended or not. There are also some unknown factors in the compensation that makes it difficult to manipulate.

I can't see why we would bother even trying manipulate the system with Brisbane to trigger band1 and slip from Pick3 to Pick4. If we try and do a shonky deal we are putting ourselves at risk of draft tampering.

If we get Rocky at a reasonable price we just take Pick3 to the draft as it is. If Gibbs goes we have even more currency for trades/ draft

Having a late first or early second allows us to go for a roughsedge or bonar. Two players that have either been injured or late risers.
I would accept P17 & P27 (Melb) for Gibbs and P38. Bonar at 17 would be an option, we can trade 27, Roughsedge may even be available at 56 as he is an overager.

With Brisbane supporters convinced the club will only be letting Rockliff go if band 1 compensation is garuanteed, and our salary cap space able to facilitate such a deal, the question has to be asked:
Is acquiring Rockliff worth the downgrade from #3>#4 if it means we miss out on Rayner/LDU/Dow and instead have to pick from Cerra/Stephenson/Brayshaw?
I doubt very much we'd shoot ourselves in the foot like that. No way we pay overs for Rocky if it means Brisbane get band 1.

Letting him go? isn't he out of contract?
He is out of contract, but is classified as a restricted free agent, meaning Brisbane have the ability to match any deal and force a trade.

I don't see the AFL ticking off any surreptitious deals, so the way I see it, he either triggers band 1 compensation, or his deal is matched and he stays at Brisbane. I'd be confident in saying we won't be willing to trade for his worth.

He is out of contract, but is classified as a restricted free agent, meaning Brisbane have the ability to match any deal and force a trade.

I don't see the AFL ticking off any surreptitious deals, so the way I see it, he either triggers band 1 compensation, or his deal is matched and he stays at Brisbane. I'd be confident in saying we won't be willing to trade for his worth.

The afl are flexible with the FA formula.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll get a PP anyway if we don't get Rockliff, i don't believe we need to pay band 1 rates, just somewhere in the ball park, as the AFL will look at it from the Frawley/Melbourne perspective

They'll keep losing players as well, wasteland up north which just makes me admire the swans as the best run club in the comp.
Frawley got around 700K over 4 years which triggered band 1 at the time. The 'it's a sneaky priority pick' myth is for those who have can't understand FA compensation (which isn't actually complicated at all). Dale Thomas triggered band 1 compo with basically the same contract (actually a little less at 675K over 4 years I believe) but none of the silly conspiracy theories.

If that was around about the minimum for band 1 then, with 20% wage growth in the AFL since, it'll take a contract around $800-850K to get band 1 compo now.

Has the band on free agency compensation changed with the recent salary cap change? I'd imagine it has, given it was raised what 20%?

So even if we give Rockliff $700k that mightn't trigger band one anymore, would need to be around the 900k mark with the 20% raise.

My understanding is that to trigger Band 1 compo you need to be in the top 5% of the AFL wage scale. In 2015 that would have been $800k per year. In 2018 it will likely be +$850K. There is no way known SOS will bring in Rockcliffe on that kind of money front-ended or not. There are also some unknown factors in the compensation that makes it difficult to manipulate.

I can't see why we would bother even trying manipulate the system with Brisbane to trigger band1 and slip from Pick3 to Pick4. If we try and do a shonky deal we are putting ourselves at risk of draft tampering.

If we get Rocky at a reasonable price we just take Pick3 to the draft as it is. If Gibbs goes we have even more currency for trades/ draft
It's top 5% for players over 25, which is apparently slightly lower (think Boyd and a few others). That's a substantially smaller group than the ~ 810 players in the AFL in a given year.

If it were just a straight 5%, it would be the top 40 of the league, which would be about $800k. I think the number may actually be $750k.

Frawley got around 700K over 4 years which triggered band 1 at the time. The 'it's a sneaky priority pick' myth is for those who have can't understand FA compensation (which isn't actually complicated at all). Dale Thomas triggered band 1 compo with basically the same contract (actually a little less at 675K over 4 years I believe) but none of the silly conspiracy theories.

If that was around about the minimum for band 1 then, with 20% wage growth in the AFL since, it'll take a contract around $800-850K to get band 1 compo now.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/fcdb69c6666a5fbb241dac67ab103b13

Was actually only 550k a year for 4 years according to this article.

The minimum was more like $550k then.

I would accept P17 & P27 (Melb) for Gibbs and P38. Bonar at 17 would be an option, we can trade 27, Roughsedge may even be available at 56 as he is an overager.

No need to give 38 up unless they want to give us pick 10 instead of 17

17 & 27 is a fair deal for a contracted footballer in the prime of his career

Okay, I'm just going to come out and say this. I don't want Rockliff at any price. I particularly don't want him at a premium price. The risks outweigh the benefits in my option.

I'm pretty sure SOS will shake something better loose for the money. Better to invest in a player or players that will fit right in and contribute for a number of years than to go all in on a potentially disruptive short-term fix.

The fit is just not right and that suggests to me that it's not going to happen. Ask yourselves this question. How often does SOS do the obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back