News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What I really get from that press conference is that that ludicrous Elimination Final loss was the best thing that could have happened for our pathetic current administration, giving them the perfect excuse to change exactly nothing. It was the perfect "hey, look over here!" distraction needed to frame 2017 as a success in every other way. And people are swallowing it.

Last edited:
I just can't contemplate the level of fart-sniffing and bathwater-drinking that must be going on at Alberton these days for there to be this level of disconnect between the inner sanctum and the wider fan base.

The total lack of accountability. The utter contempt shown towards member discontent. The sooking when they receive the merest hint of criticism. The self-masturbatory back slapping and fist pumping over run of the mill wins. The apathetic shoulder shrug when we fail yet again.

What a bunch of incompetent, arrogant, self-deluding buffoons we have become.

I just can't contemplate the level of fart-sniffing and bathwater-drinking that must be going on at Alberton these days for there to be this level of disconnect between the inner sanctum and the wider fan base.

The total lack of accountability. The utter contempt shown towards member discontent. The sooking when they receive the merest hint of criticism. The self-masturbatory back slapping and fist pumping over run of the mill wins. The apathetic shoulder shrug when we fail yet again.

but how do you really feel about Ken re-signing? ;)

C'mon fellas, let's stop this infernal whinging! As I said 10,000 pages ago it is what is, so let's move on. We've got two things to do.
Firstly let's start to lay low so that all the media attention now reverts back to the Crows - it's only right - so that when they fall from grace on Friday nite it will be so delicious!, and
Secondly, we got a grand final to attend too on Sunday. Let's now put all our effort and energy into getting the Magpies across the line. That Magpie side is laden with future afl stars and some pretty good ring ins.

Go Port Adelaide.

We are so ruthless..

We've redefined ruthless..

We got played by Hinkley and the Suns, fell right into it and blinked first by offering a three year extension when the man has another year to run on his contract.

So BigFooty is now confined to another four years of bitching about Hinkley.

Unfortunately a significant portion of the wider fan base is drinking the same bathwater.

Well that's me out. I'm not renewing 2 platinum and 3 gold memberships to watch the same garbage for another four years.

I'm curious as to why you're so invested in the Hinkley decision. Genuine question.

Well apparently they've been able to get all the 'building blocks' in place behind the results, so the results don't matter because we've got the foundation right. *shakes head*

So I guess what they're saying now is that with all these blocks in place now that we should see some improvement in 2018-2019.

Wouldn't it thus make sense to see if we do actually start to see some improvement, and verify that the blocks we have in place are actually working before jumping the gun.

* me that press conference was not impressive, and KT's response to the 'should we have extended next year' question was piss poor.

My greatest hope is that some of my posts in this thread are bumped within the next 3 years as a giant 'told you so'.

Until then I'm still unhappy that we didn't wait until next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You forgot turd polishing.

He's been given an extension before he's earnt it. But hey, if we'd sacked him and gone with Dew or Bassett or whoever, they probably would've wanted a four year contract to take the job too, and for all we know they would've been s**t and we'd be locked in to keeping them the same way we're now locked in to keeping Ken.

The flip side of the frustrating 'we've won 4 out of our last 19 close games' stat is that we're close. The footy gods have been against us this year, and it's not all Ken's fault. Charlie Dixon gets to take his shot against Geelong and we finish the H&A season 2nd. Luke Shuey doesn't con his way to a head high free kick in the EF and we'd have had an SF against an undermanned and out of form GWS last week. We're bloody close.

Ken hasn't shown enough to definitively say that he's the man to take us forward, which is why I wouldn't have extended him, but I'm also not prepared to definitively say that he's not, which is why I wouldn't have sacked him either. Many have quite rightly posited 'what happens if we come out and stink it up early next season', which is a reasonable question, but what happens if we come out and start really well next season? Then Ken would have been extended anyway and you're all melting over nothing.

The gameplan isn't working, but again, it's bloody close. It's not a lost cause. But it does need tweaking. Maybe persisting with Marshall and/or Frampton next year is the tweak it needs. Maybe when we have those tall targets in the side, we'll use the corridor more. Maybe our unsuccessful forward structure this year was more down to personnel than coaching. Defensively it works brilliantly. The only thing that needs fixing is the forward line.

The extension isn't the decision I would have made at this time, because we didn't have to make it yet, but I'm not prepared to call it a 'bad decision' yet. Ken showed enough with the moves he made in the last month of the season that I'm prepared to take a glass half full approach to 2018 and beyond.
Awesome post.

Koch and Keith when we start 0-5 next season

636105299923578088-1610436935_its%20fine.jpg

That extension is looking beyond the current playing list, I reckon they have identified the 'next' team already, which might relate to Jacko and Co...

Yep.

Ken took over a team in 2013 that had already been 'rebuilding' for two years. We instantly shot up the ladder, a lot of which can in hindsight can be seen as much an indictment on the previous regime (not Matty Primus in particular but the whole setup) as an endorsement on Hinkley's coaching. We got on a roll in 2014 and went pretty close to winning the whole thing, but reality set in by 2015 that we had built a good team but not a great team. The following year was a write off due to injuries/suspension and this year we sort of reset things a bit with a significant change in game style and the introduction of half a dozen or so young players as regular members of the best 22.

What does this all mean? It means we're in the middle of a mini rebuild and revamp of the team. We've acknowledged that what we have been doing hasn't been good enough and we've set about making the changes that we need to if we want to go to the next level.

So the question then becomes - has Ken done enough to warrant the faith being shown in him to lead this transition and see it through over the long term? I think it's debatable. He's proven he's a good coach, not a great coach. Taking out the messy outlier of 2016, we've never done worse than 12-10 under Ken but never better than 14-8. Good but not great.

I would've preferred to take a wait and see approach to the contract extension by seeing how next year pans out. But then you run the risk of Ken coaching for short term results and not actually doing the things we need to do to win a flag in the long run. As far as the 2021 extension goes, extending to 2020 would have been reasonable but we've copped the extra year because of the Gold Coast thing. It might cost us some dough down the track if things don't work out but for the time being I can live with it.

That extension is looking beyond the current playing list, I reckon they have identified the 'next' team already, which might relate to Jacko and Co...

The next team was identified throughout this past season as we played a slew of youngsters who are going to be the foundation of this club for the next 5 years. Howard, Clurey, Marshall, Bonner, Johnson, SPP, DBJ, Houston etc.

I'm curious as to why you're so invested in the Hinkley decision. Genuine question.
Fair ask. I think Port have a great squad capable of at least a top 4 finish
I enjoy the entertainment, emotion, season twists and subterfuge, the sum of which helps me get through six months of the year. Unfortunately, having observed and scrutinised the Power since 1997, I've seen the off field script before and see nothing on field to convince me that things will change. On that basis I prefer to keep better part of $2000 which in the end is discretionary spending. If I get the urge I'll buy tickets on an ad hoc basis.

but how do you really feel about Ken re-signing? ;)

Haha, actually I am instigating full #eco in all of three, two, one to be honest.

****ed if I am going to spend another four years of my life letting the Dazzas, Thundahs, and OGCs of this world sanctimoniously tell me to butter up and clap along.

I was really invested in the club not doing this because I know it's going to be the end of my passion for Port for quite some time.

I lived through the Choco resigning hell. The Chris Scott vs Primus debates. The dark days of 2011-12. I'm not going to do it again. I would have got behind Hinkley seeing out his contract. I would have got behind a new coach. Heck, I could get behind another rebuild if I believed in the direction and the structure going forward.

I will not get behind a man who holds the club to ransom to demand a bigger contract, because he does not back himself in to earn it next year. I will not get behind a club which gets manipulated through the media and blinks like an abused spouse threatened with divorce. I will not get behind the Lade, Nicks and Voss trifecta of incompetence and unaccountability. I will not get behind four years of mid-table mediocrity and ninth placed finishes when it didn't have to be this way.

This club isn't serious about winning a premiership. And I have better things to do with my time, energy and money than support Norwood-lite.

#NotMyPortAdelaide

Yep.

Ken took over a team in 2013 that had already been 'rebuilding' for two years. We instantly shot up the ladder, a lot of which can in hindsight can be seen as much an indictment on the previous regime (not Matty Primus in particular but the whole setup) as an endorsement on Hinkley's coaching. We got on a roll in 2014 and went pretty close to winning the whole thing, but reality set in by 2015 that we had built a good team but not a great team. The following year was a write off due to injuries/suspension and this year we sort of reset things a bit with a significant change in game style and the introduction of half a dozen or so young players as regular members of the best 22.

What does this all mean? It means we're in the middle of a mini rebuild and revamp of the team. We've acknowledged that what we have been doing hasn't been good enough and we've set about making the changes that we need to if we want to go to the next level.

So the question then becomes - has Ken done enough to warrant the faith being shown in him to lead this transition and see it through over the long term? I think it's debatable. He's proven he's a good coach, not a great coach. Taking out the messy outlier of 2016, we've never done worse than 12-10 under Ken but never better than 14-8. Good but not great.

I would've preferred to take a wait and see approach to the contract extension by seeing how next year pans out. But then you run the risk of Ken coaching for short term results and not actually doing the things we need to do to win a flag in the long run. As far as the 2021 extension goes, extending to 2020 would have been reasonable but we've copped the extra year because of the Gold Coast thing. It might cost us some dough down the track if things don't work out but for the time being I can live with it.

Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back