Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you! I'm lying on my bed in Ballarat feeling pretty damn good, I'll admit! The place cost me next to nothing to buy, and the lifestyle around here suits me a fair bit better than that in Melbourne.

How are you travelling?
Going ok
I am in the same situation , have decided to make complete changes including career
Have a medical today for a position that I've made through interviews and ref checks so looking pretty good
Need a new direction in life

Welcome to ballarat

This is a great thread. Together we can speak about these issues and support each other without any fear or judgement. You are all welcome to say hello and have a few laughs as well.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Hi all. Tomorrow is R U OK day. If you're like me you probably have anxiety in the lead up - who's going to ask me if I'm ok? How do they know I'm sometimes not? Do they think I'm nuts?

The anxiety is due to that I am high function but barely anyone knows that I struggle with mental health. The more people that know, the more it plays on my mind and the vicious cycle continues.

The breaking down of the stigma in my opinion really is a fantastic thing and it does help me knowing that the longer this initiative runs, eventually there may be no stigma at all. I like the anonymity of BigFooty because it helps me relate to other like minded people.

If you do get asked how you are and you are worries, answer however you feel comfortable.

If I'm asked I'll be saying that I am okay today, as that will help me start my conversation. Although mind you I hope nobody asks.

Take care everyone.

What if nothing works?

People with mental health issues are encouraged to 'talk to some one' and combat their demons with a course of medication and/or talking to a professional. This is the conventional treatment for a reason - it tends to work. It didn't for me, nor did lifestyle changes, changes in diet, a focus on gut health. Out of sheer desperation, I even tried hypnotherapy. Hypnotherapy, FFS!

I recently completed a course a transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). I didn't really see any improvement.

Any ideas? I'm open to suggestion.

What if nothing works?

People with mental health issues are encouraged to 'talk to some one' and combat their demons with a course of medication and/or talking to a professional. This is the conventional treatment for a reason - it tends to work. It didn't for me, nor did lifestyle changes, changes in diet, a focus on gut health. Out of sheer desperation, I even tried hypnotherapy. Hypnotherapy, FFS!

I recently completed a course a transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). I didn't really see any improvement.

Have you tried ACT?

acceptance and commitment therapy. It's a relatively new way of managing A&D through the use of acceptance of negative or fearful thoughts and feelings to pursue your values. It's a different approach than CBT, and one I found better
That sounds interesting. It sounds like it incorperates mindfulness techniques also which i find useful.

That sounds interesting. It sounds like it incorperates mindfulness techniques also which i find useful.
yes it uses mindfulness to identify and diffuse negative or fearful thoughts rather than trying to battle each of these thoughts with logic, which is what I found CBT taught. It works on accepting the thoughts as meaningless brain activity allowing you to spend your energy moving towards things you value rather than running from unpleasant thoughts or experiences.

There's plenty of books on the topic, and youtube videos, and psychologists who practice it. There's also a lot of recent evidence showing it can be effective.

yes it uses mindfulness to identify and diffuse negative or fearful thoughts rather than trying to battle each of these thoughts with logic, which is what I found CBT taught. It works on accepting the thoughts as meaningless brain activity allowing you to spend your energy moving towards things you value rather than running from unpleasant thoughts or experiences.

There's plenty of books on the topic, and youtube videos, and psychologists who practice it. There's also a lot of recent evidence showing it can be effective.
Yep a psychologist I was talking to at uni recommended it for me - it seems to work well, as it involves acceptance of your crappy thoughts rather than putting your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes like a three year old.

Great thread!! I called beyond blue once. It was for my housemate who went off the rails and left suicide notes in the house after his girl left him.

Unfortunately through all my attempts to help him, he stole from me, didn't pay rent, had the police looking for him and ended up leaving me about 2k short. Turns out he was just attention seeking through his actions, but the beyond blue people were an amazing help.

Great thread!! I called beyond blue once. It was for my housemate who went off the rails and left suicide notes in the house after his girl left him.

Unfortunately through all my attempts to help him, he stole from me, didn't pay rent, had the police looking for him and ended up leaving me about 2k short. Turns out he was just attention seeking through his actions, but the beyond blue people were an amazing help.
Screw people like that, using mental health issues for attention casts a negative shadow over those of us who do legitimately suffer from these issues.

On a brighter note - given R U OK day has just passed, I would like to organise a 'BigFooty Mental Health' meet up. Whether you regularly post on this thread, or you're more of a lurker, feel free to come along. I'll come up with a time and venue soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if nothing works?

I'm glad you bought this topic up and opened the discussion for thoughts. The following thoughts are not meant to indicate clinically-informed opinion.

Depending on the presenting problem/s (i.e., depression, anxiety, panic, PTSD, OCD, borderline personality disorder, substance use, gambling, etc.), there are different treatments that have been shown to be the most evidence-based. For example, the most evidence-based psychological treatments for depression (sometimes called 'Clinical Depression', 'Major Depression', 'Dysthymia') are behavioural activation therapy, cognitive behaviour therapy, interpersonal psychotherapy, self-help, psychoeducation, followed by dialectical behaviour therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, and psychodynamic psychotherapy.

The most evidence-based psychological treatments for anxiety/stress disorders (social, generalised, phobias, trauma responses, panic, etc.) include cognitive behaviour therapy (specifically, exposure therapy, depending on the condition) followed by self-help and acceptance and commitment therapy. For borderline personality disorder, dialectical behaviour therapy is the most evidence-based, followed by schema-focused therapy and metallisation-based therapy. For high severity conditions (i.e., mental health conditions with large impacts on many areas of your life), generally speaking, medication can also assist with bringing down symptoms. For example, the best practice standard for treating depression only (no other major mental health conditions) is a combination of anti-depressant medication and cognitive behaviour therapy (at least 20-30 individual sessions; or other evidence-based therapies), but this needs to be tailored to the individual client/patient.

In saying that, not all people respond to the most evidence-based therapy. Individual differences, preferences, personalities, likes/dislikes, therapist training/competence, and heaps of other things can impact whether someone responds positively to a therapy or even how quickly. Hope this gives you some ideas on what's out there. Happy to extend the discussion, if wanted.

Screw people like that, using mental health issues for attention casts a negative shadow over those of us who do legitimately suffer from these issues.

On a brighter note - given R U OK day has just passed, I would like to organise a 'BigFooty Mental Health' meet up. Whether you regularly post on this thread, or you're more of a lurker, feel free to come along. I'll come up with a time and venue soon.
Count me in

How many people here put too much emphasis on their team winning in order for them to be happy/have a good weekend etc?
It comes down to wanting the crows to win so bad to keep the haters at distance .... know what I mean?
im interested in if other people suffer from depression caused by the team losing etc? how bad does it effect you?

How many people here put too much emphasis on their team winning in order for them to be happy/have a good weekend etc?
It comes down to wanting the crows to win so bad to keep the haters at distance .... know what I mean?
im interested in if other people suffer from depression caused by the team losing etc? how bad does it effect you?
Not depression but anxiety. However regarding the football it's more of a build up that gets worse over a period of a couple days which eventually results in me needing to go to the toilet on multiple occasions generally on the day (today) because of it. This week has been absolutely awful for this reason for me and today's the worst of it. But this is quite rare for me regarding the footy, usually just happens in general when I know I'll need to go out sometime.

Hopefully no one else here has this.

Does anyone on here donate blood?,i did it for 1st time last week and for someone like me with a low opinion of myself i walked out of there with a feel buzz and a great feeling about myself doing something good(For a few days anyway),highly recommend if your not feeling good about yourself.

Does anyone on here donate blood?,i did it for 1st time last week and for someone like me with a low opinion of myself i walked out of there with a feel buzz and a great feeling about myself doing something good(For a few days anyway),highly recommend if your not feeling good about yourself.

I tried a few times a while back but kept passing out lol
In the end one of the nurses told me to stop trying which is a bit annoying.
Though back then my diet was pretty average and I'd struggle even to have a basic blood test done whereas now I'm alright so I might give it another crack soon

Good for you in donating blood. It's something I haven't done in 15 years. Even though I should, seeing I'm one of these ones with a rare blood type. So thank you for inspiring me.
Will go and donate some this week.

I have a legit question.
Why do people cry?
It's something I don't understand.
The last time I remember crying was being at school, being told that I had to have my bathers for a swimming class. Because I didn't know there was swimming that day I cried out of anger for my own stupidity in not knowing. I then felt ashamed and weak for crying. I still get angry at myself for crying that day.

I have a legit question.
Why do people cry?
It's something I don't understand.
The last time I remember crying was being at school, being told that I had to have my bathers for a swimming class. Because I didn't know there was swimming that day I cried out of anger for my own stupidity in not knowing. I then felt ashamed and weak for crying. I still get angry at myself for crying that day.

The latest emotion science research would say that crying is a natural, adaptive response to the emotion of sadness. Sadness is a primary emotion, and it most instances it is very healthy to experience and process. We often feel it when there is a loss in our life, in some way or another (other words for Sadness include: isolated, disappointed, down, rejected, alone, etc) and it also functions to let others know that something is not right. Anger is generally considered a secondary emotion, and commonly people get angry because they do not know how to handle sadness, or they don't want to process sadness, or the sadness is so painful that they get angry that they can't handle the sadness (not an exhaustive list). Anger also usually follows the primary emotion of fear/worry/anxiety; for example, when a car nearly side swipes you on the road, people usually feel a fear response first, then anger; of course, this varies according to each person's coping mechanisms etc. Overall, sadness and fear are generally adaptive emotions because they give us crucial information, and often crying is a strong action urge attached to sadness. Anger in most cases follows sadness and fear.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back