Expansion Why the National comp can never be national

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't see why North Melbourne even exist. They just shouldn't be a thing. There is no reason for them. Should have been merged with Footscray eons ago.
Why don't you ask all of the members and paying supporters of those clubs, could imagine the response you'd get

The grand final next weekend highlights the inherent unfairness of our national competition. Adelaide finished top of the ladder, smashed their two finals, and now have to travel to play Richmond at their home ground in front of what is likely to be a rabid crowd.

I don't know the answer but I don't get paid hundreds of thousands to run the competition.

Not sure about that one; you're saying that there are more football fans in Victoria than the rest of Aus total? Spent much time outside of Victoria?
Live in WA, add up the member numbers of each club and then look at the populations of each state. TBH you can not quantify actual supporter but you can for members

Members doesn't really tell you anything about support. West Coast has been artificially restricted by the capacity of Subi Oval.
Reckon you'd have atleast 5 times the amount of supporters at any club and probably 15 times that for clubs like yours and mine. Of the footy states , wa, sa and vic the wa and sa combined population is less than that of vic and you could argue that of those states 90% are footy followers
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...mmary&prodno=3101.0&issue=Jun 2016&num=&view=

So i guess we should ignore the fact that the Victorian clubs only get a real home ground advantage in half their home games as opposed to all but 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do wonder would my aussie rules hating NSW mates would still be deriding the game as "VFL" if a conference style national comp was born out of more equal representation from the WAFL, SANFL and VFL in the 80's.

The overrepresentation of VIC based AFL clubs like we see today gives the perception to northern states that the sport is just for Victorians.

Its a hinderence to the sport becoming more accepted in the nortern states than what it is.
There is no over representation of Victorian clubs. South Melbourne and Fitzroy relocated, the other Vic clubs have pretty rich history. Just like Adelaide, West Coast have really strong history now.

There is no over representation of Victorian clubs. South Melbourne and Fitzroy relocated, the other Vic clubs have pretty rich history. Just like Adelaide, West Coast have really strong history now.

A club like Norwood has an equally strong history of most the clubs in the AFL.

3 teams in every state is fair is it?

So fair is cutting the attendance figures by 50% at least?

Fair is depriving fans of watching their team play at all?

Our average attendance would be lower then the NRLs, many fans would be disillusioned forever and the game would be worse off.

If the OP wants a game that is regressing go follow rugby league.

A club like Norwood has an equally strong history of most the clubs in the AFL.

If we're including lower grade leagues, then what about the great records some teams have in suburban or country leagues?

I do wonder would my aussie rules hating NSW mates would still be deriding the game as "VFL" if a conference style national comp was born out of more equal representation from the WAFL, SANFL and VFL in the 80's.

The overrepresentation of VIC based AFL clubs like we see today gives the perception to northern states that the sport is just for Victorians.

Its a hinderence to the sport becoming more accepted in the nortern states than what it is.

If a conference style system between the VFL, WAFL & SANFL came about in the 80s, there would be no teams in the northern states.

a) They would need to be up to standard before they go in.
b) Nobody would fund them (both the teams and the development)

The AFL will never be a national competition without a Tasmanian side in it.

It'll happen eventually, I guarantee that. But I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting another 15 years or more.

I just pray that the AFL doesn't royally * up and try to relocate a club there. It'd be an unmitigated disaster if they tried to pull that off.

Doesn't reflect true membership numbers as WCE have a waiting list for memberships due to Subiacos limited capacity.
Look at this way, we'd all agree that roughly 90% of the population in footy states follow an AFL team to varying degrees and the bulk of that figure would in some ways fork out hard earned at varying quantities and a large portion go to the footy at least once a year and a large portion weekly and in between right?. So looking at this the population of Vic is larger than WA, SA and Tas combined by nearly 1.5 million - being the bureau of stats I'd say it's a reliable source

So hazard a guess you could mount a good argument that there are more footy fans in Vic than the rest of the nation combined

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mf/3101.0

Look at this way, we'd all agree that roughly 90% of the population in footy states follow an AFL team to varying degrees and the bulk of that figure would in some ways fork out hard earned at varying quantities and a large portion go to the footy at least once a year and a large portion weekly and in between right?. So looking at this the population of Vic is larger than WA, SA and Tas combined by nearly 1.5 million - being the bureau of stats I'd say it's a reliable source

So hazard a guess you could mount a good argument that there are more footy fans in Vic than the rest of the nation combined

I don't think it would be as high as 90% alot of immigrants don't follow AFL but the numbers are just guess work,
Vic has roughly double the population of WA but 5 times the amount of teams and i would guess the same % of population that follownthe AFL.

Yeah that's a poll of only so many - not everyone in Australia, are you suggesting that Collingwood only have 663000 fans? Less than WC at only 669000? pfft - the reality would be much larger. I live in WA and could argue that WC would have roughly a million, certainly Collingwood would have more than a million

This tells us the Vic population is more than all of the footy heartland states combined including Tas by nearly 1
.5 million. You could mount an argument that indeed Vic would have more footy fans given the population and all those states are absolutely footy mad - I know WA is

I don't think it would be as high as 90% alot of immigrants don't follow AFL but the numbers are just guess work,
Vic has roughly double the population of WA but 5 times the amount of teams and i would guess the same % of population that follownthe AFL.
Maybe not 90% certainly more than 70% you'd think and Vic has 3.7 more in population, that's way more than double more like 2 and a half times. I know here in WA we're absolutely footy mad - it's everywhere and the bulk of the population you'd think follow it. I regularly visit Vic and can tell you footy is the biggest thing in that state

So even though you can't quantify exactly, those figures do point toward more Vic fans that follow the league than the rest of the country

Remove this Banner Ad

Back