Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Could use the inner-most of the new digital sections on the Smith and Chappell stands I guess. Not quite as practical as what they have in Melbourne though.

The SMA had a couple of cranes parked in front of the Edwin Smith Stand over the weekend. Not really sure what they were for, unless they're starting to decommission the halogen lighting on the roof of the stand.

52,805 4th highest attendance at the oval, 20th 50,000 crowd at the oval since the redevelopment. Shine factor is irrelevant, The Adelaide oval is South Australians MCG, Home of footy in SA, never going to lose it shine.
Do you think there will be as many at Adelaide Oval for the Port Adelaide v WCE match Saturday evening?

Reckon Port will get about 45,000 which will be a great crowd for them, especially as there won't be too many travelling WCE supporters.

The new LED lighting has gone up in the western stands.

A little bit of it has gone up in the eastern stands too.
Any reason why the Virgin Australia was static and didn't change? Assuming the space was bought before it was converted to LED.

The new LED lighting has gone up in the western stands.

A little bit of it has gone up in the eastern stands too.
The whole eastern stands was done by Round 22 :)

In other news - I wonder why they didn't paint over the AFL logos and sponsors for the SANFL today - maybe a way to suck up to the AFL to prevent the AFL-SA coming into effect? :p

Any reason why the Virgin Australia was static and didn't change? Assuming the space was bought before it was converted to LED.

AFL decision I reckon.

The MCG had identical advertising on levels 1 and 2 Friday night, while static Virgin advertising was also on the Bill O'Reilly Stand at the SCG on Saturday.

The whole eastern stands was done by Round 22 :)

In other news - I wonder why they didn't paint over the AFL logos and sponsors for the SANFL today - maybe a way to suck up to the AFL to prevent the AFL-SA coming into effect? :p

Are you talking signage or lighting. The signage went up during the latter stages of the season. The new lighting is slowly going up (which would explain why the Edwin Smith stand was closed for SANFL finals last weekend. The western stand is all LED lighting, while the eastern stand still has some halogen lights up.

That was interesting. Last year there was an AFL match on Saturday and SANFL v VFL match on Sunday, and the AFL logos were all scrubbed out by the Sunday game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was interesting. Last year there was an AFL match on Saturday and SANFL v VFL match on Sunday, and the AFL logos were all scrubbed out by the Sunday game.

Was interesting, may of had something to do with the Power/Eagles final going into OT last night, who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Was interesting, may of had something to do with the Power/Eagles final going into OT last night, who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I can roll out some green paint in just a couple of hours at dawn, no issues :p

I am one of the travelling ones - flying over on a chartered flight arranged by the Club. Just hope we can make plenty of noise to try and drown out the Port supporters:rolleyes:

Feedback frenchie, only been the once from Melbourne but its a magnificent facility & the natives were friendly.

Feedback frenchie, only been the once from Melbourne but its a magnificent facility & the natives were friendly.
Wouldn't have missed the experience for the world - the result helped of course but not so good for the old ticker!! Tremendous venue and atmosphere - very impressed - only small criticism I had was thought the scoreboards could have been positioned better. I was seated directly behind the goals on the 2nd level and found the scoreboards a little difficult to read from where I was sitting.

Wouldn't have missed the experience for the world - the result helped of course but not so good for the old ticker!! Tremendous venue and atmosphere - very impressed - only small criticism I had was thought the scoreboards could have been positioned better. I was seated directly behind the goals on the 2nd level and found the scoreboards a little difficult to read from where I was sitting.
That's what'll happen when the ground is as long as it is :)
Only option I can think of to rectify that would be use one of the new advertising ribbons on the Western Stand to show the score. Not sure where else they could put a screen/scoreboard really.

The level 3 and 4 LED strips on the southern/eastern stands are now integrated - Port and Sturt logos are stretched across both levels of LED.

The LED perimeter lighting is slowing taking shape too. I’d assume the upgrades will go into full swing in October once the Crows GF live site/family day is done and dusted

The oval pulled up alright after the AFL. I was worried the old paintwork would look shitty but they did a good job covering it up as best they could. Shame the 50m arcs didn't get done in club colours like they've normally done.

The oval pulled up alright after the AFL. I was worried the old paintwork would look shitty but they did a good job covering it up as best they could. Shame the 50m arcs didn't get done in club colours like they've normally done.

The club logos on the ground were smaller too - they matched the size of the AFL Finals Series signage.

Was disappointing to see the club colours not done on the 50 metre arcs. Probably too hard a task to change the red one to black in around a day.

Tell you what - the venue had another big couple of days!
Thursday and Friday night was True Grit Night Attack obstacle challenge in the stands, one of the western stand changerooms, #2 oval and northern carpark below Light's Vision. Plus a dinner in the western and southern dining rooms. Then the Grand Final stuff on Saturday and Sunday. Busy busy!

After 100-odd years, there is no longer a picket fence around any part of Adelaide Oval, with the completion of the level 1 signage around the western side of the ground.
They can take away our pickets but they can't take away our scoreboard! :p

Having analysed Adelaide home fixture in 2018, expecting hopefully at least 4 game have an attendance of 50,000 or greater, obviously depending on Adelaide and oppo's teams fortunes and the weather. Certainly our first 2 home games against Richmond and Collingwood should get that figure, hoping for over 53,000 against the tigers. Other possibilities are Carlton being there first game here against us and strong SA following, Melbourne and Geelong for the obvious reasons, certainly depends on the teams fortunes later in the year, Port a certainty if this time weather is permitting. Interesting our 3 home games we've played against west coast since 2014 we average 50,905 with our 3 crowds against being 49,470 (2014), 52,460 (2015, 2nd highest attendance in our history H/A) 50,785 (2016). It's a long shot but history said its possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back