Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, did we forget to acknowledge this feat after the West Coast game?

With combined 87 disposals (or was that 88) from the game, Matt & Brad's season total of 1,202 smashes the Cornes' 1,174 total from 2007.

[0.5mb]

Did we have records of other pairings' season totals or do the Crouches also hold that record now?

Yup, our boys are the best pair of brothers in a season for disposals. They were after that record during the West Coast game, and so were the rest of our players keen on getting them to that record.

Hey, did we forget to acknowledge this feat after the West Coast game?

With combined 87 disposals (or was that 88) from the game, Matt & Brad's season total of 1,202 smashes the Cornes' 1,174 total from 2007.

[0.5mb]

Did we have records of other pairings' season totals or do the Crouches also hold that record now?
If they both stay fit next year, they will smash the record!

Here you go, from March this year:

And I wasn't alone. There were plenty of us who could see how good this guy was going to be. There really was only one massive naysayer.

I thought he was going to be a good solid footballer.

I had no idea how good he'd get.

Happy he exceeded my expectations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of both the Crouch Bros from even last year. However, the consistency and skills have gone to another level regarding Matt this year. I think the real improvement coincided around the time Sloane was starting to be tagged heavily, which gave Matt more added responsibilities.
The lad himself has been quoted as saying it's all basically down to his fitness levels and IMO has zero to do with Sloane being tagged, hell Scott had Blicavs tagging Matty early in the game the other night and quickly binned that strategy when the tag was having little effect on Matt's game.

I still remember the first time I saw Brad play live. It was playing WC in Perth before his injuries. Matt is seriously kicking arse now. Brad if he can stay on the park for the next couple of years is to blow a few people away. His skill was simply sublime considering his age.
Same here after watching him play that game I thought here we go. We got ourselves a ripper here...... during all the bad luck he has been going through I believed he could rise above it all he needed was a fair run of it.
If he stays injury free he will only get better.

The lad himself has been quoted as saying it's all basically down to his fitness levels and IMO has zero to do with Sloane being tagged, hell Scott had Blicavs tagging Matty early in the game the other night and quickly binned that strategy when the tag was having little effect on Matt's game.
I think there's no doubt it's part the age/experience and his natural evolution. My earlier point was due to Sloane being more heavily tagged, this allowed Matt more opportunities to take over the reign as a midfield general. Not only more opportunities were created, but it allowed Matt to have more confidence to back himself in.
Kind of like this scenario: if you have a star standing next to you, you're more likely to pass the ball to the star. If there is no star next to you, or the star's gone missing, then you're likely to take more ownership of the situation and make yourself become the star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine in the mind of NTRabbit, when it comes to the perception of Matt Crouch, his thought process goes something like;

AFC Recruiters for selecting him: Idiots
AFC Coaches for playing him: Idiots
AFC Fans for liking him: Idiots
AA Committee for selecting him: Idiots
AFLPA for respecting him above all but 6 other players in 2017: Idiots
AFL Umps for Brownlow selection: 4th in Brownlow odd's would leave me to believe they're Idiots
Sportsbet.com.au: Idiots for the above
AFC B&F Selection Committee: Haven't awarded him yet either, but considering he's the favorite they are certainly gonna end up Idiots
NTRabbit: Smart
You missed Matt won The Melbourne Age Player Of The Year too though when it wasn't won by a Victorian there wasn't a lot of fanfare.

B&F Winner and All Australian
Great season, worthy Best and Fairest winner.

Here's the thing though - if he can get his fitness up a bit more (which he should, midfielders generally do play more minutes the older they get) he is going to blow away the records.

Last year he averaged 71% game time, this year 77%.

He averaged 33 disposals. Tom Mitchell averaged 35.8 disposals but from 88% game time.

Here are the average disposals per 100% game time by the top disposal players:
Matt - 42.8
Mitchell - 40.9
Merrett - 39.0
Oliver - 38.9
Ablett - 38.2
Brad 37.7
Treloar - 36.7
Dangerfield - 35.1
Martin 34.9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back