Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
2017 Thread has been closed, 2018 thread starts here

@AFLTrades on twitter is peddling that:

1) Several Vic clubs are interested in Lachie (yawn, what else is new?); and
2) Brisbane and Carlton both interested in Bam Bam.

What would we want for such trades?

Last edited by a moderator:

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Draft some very good "role players". Some working class players that do the blue collar stuff well. Every premiership team has 4-8 of them. Most of our players are high picks or successful mature age recruits.

There are not many I can think of in our Prelim team. MDB is one who flourished and I think there are better options than him our there (but real credit to him).

As I said earlier, you can get these types later in draft. OR get the best possible early in the draft to fill the need and pay a bit overs for him - Geelong style.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Draft some very good "role players". Some working class players that do the blue collar stuff well. Every premiership team has 4-8 of them. Most of our players are high picks or successful mature age recruits.

There are not many I can think of in our Prelim team. MDB is one who flourished and I think there are better options than him our there (but real credit to him).

As I said earlier, you can get these types later in draft. OR get the best possible early in the draft to fill the need and pay a bit overs for him - Geelong style.
So you are saying draft the less talented blokes ? ;)

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
So you are saying draft the less talented blokes ? ;)

Yes! If it means they play their role in the team AND it is something we lack!

I'd happily pay over for the best small forward in the draft than get the 10th best mid even though the 10th best mid is a better player. If that makes sense?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Yes! If it means they play their role in the team AND it is something we lack!

I'd happily pay over for the best small forward in the draft than get the 10th best mid even though the 10th best mid is a better player. If that makes sense?
Yeah I see ur point but drafting for needs rather than best player can be dangerous

We did that with JOR a few ears back... you don’t necessarily get to keep who u draft and when they leave they are worth much less

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah I see ur point but drafting for needs rather than best player can be dangerous

We did that with JOR a few ears back... you don’t necessarily get to keep who u draft and when they leave they are worth much less

We can all make exceptions to either rule. Pickett, Ahern, Marchbank, Steele etc

Anyway we'll see what happens!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Agree, he looks a ripper doesn't he as a small forward - pressure and goalkicking abilities together, and a wonderful work ethic. In tandem with Toby could be a brilliant combination. Unfortunately, he could go anywhere between about pick 6 and 15; and our ability to trade picks & players up to even the middle of that range is almost non-existent.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Agree, he looks a ripper doesn't he as a small forward - pressure and goalkicking abilities together, and a wonderful work ethic. In tandem with Toby could be a brilliant combination. Unfortunately, he could go anywhere between about pick 6 and 15; and our ability to trade picks & players up to even the middle of that range is almost non-existent.
Could drop tho... small forwards regularly go lower than predicted

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Gryan Miers
Yes, I haven't actually seen any footage of his play, but from the reports he's one I've noted seems to have pretty good raps, and likely early-mid second round. That's where we need to be hard-headed about whether he or an academy kid offers best quality for the list in a needed role.
Could drop tho... small forwards regularly go lower than predicted
Possible, so agree that if we could trade up to an early teens it might leave us in the running. Can only see that happening though if we use Smith or Matt Kennedy plus a second round pick, but not sure which club would go for that. Essendon, maybe, with pick 11 if they don't use it elsewhere - they seem keen on Matt Kennedy? Lions maybe, especially if they lose Rockliff.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

Chatter is Smith to Carlton and we get the 1st rounder from Adelaide which they give for Gibbs. That 1st rounder will be 17 or 18 which will be close to the mark. Perhaps we do another deal to move up.

Can't wait until they bring in live trading. AFL are slower than molasses.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Chatter is Smith to Carlton and we get the 1st rounder from Adelaide which they give for Gibbs. That 1st rounder will be 17 or 18 which will be close to the mark. Perhaps we do another deal to move up.

I will be interested to see if Adelaide still wants Gibbs if they win the GF - not sure he does a lot for them if they've taken a flag. However, they may still feel committed to bringing him home, but certainly wouldn't overpay (again). While one part of me thinks Carlton needs to stop knocking off our offcuts, Smith to Blues does make sense for both if Dev wants more midfield minutes at a higher wage. Pick #17 (or #16) would give us something to work with for a team that wouldn't want to trade out of the first round but wants for picks - perhaps West Coast in rebuild mode would trade #13 & #30 for #17 & #23?

Or, use #17 in a bundle with Matty Kennedy (if he leaves) to someone like Essendon - for example, #11 & #46 for Matty & #17 would be excellent value IMHO and reasonable win-win: they essentially get two first round players for a first & third, valuing Matty @ #30 which is value; while we get an early-ish draft pick plus retain some points for academy players. (#46 gives points enough to match a bid as high as #35 - possibly Powell; then #63 & #69 would match bids up to #45 - possibly Shipley. If #11 gets Higgins, then we match Powell & Shipley, we've replaced 2 small/medium forwards & an inside midfielder i.e. Stevie J, Smith & Kennedy.)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Do we need experience?

Most of our "kids" have played finals and in cauldron like atmospheres, they have experience now.

I agree that we should take it to the draft.

I guess this means any players that leave go for picks and not players.

Awesome News!

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
I am very happy with the change of tact. Enough last chance saloons with the Deledio, Griffen, Johnson, power, Cornes, brogan, McDonald, setanta, Addison, hunt, Patfull and gilhams of the league. Our young players aren't young anymore and they are now hardened by successive finals series.

Bring in best available if we get a pick before a bid. My wish is spargo as he covers both needs and would be not out of place to go late first to early second.

Match bids for Shipley and Richards. Powell for me is only a match if we lose MK.

If the rumour of Mumford retiring and taking the coaching position is true then I believe that lobb should get first choice at the ruck with Simpson being selected depending on opposition match up. Coupled with the retirement of downie means that another young ruck to develop alongside Flynn is a must and Richards fits the mould perfectly for me.

M'Zungu is an obvious delist/retirement but his training methods want me to keep him in the role that maxwell is departing from.

I would draft Myers to take M'Zungus spot on the rookie List.

Snookers

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I think Smith, Kennedy and Wilson are out the door.
What was it with Bam Bam mate? I cannot for the life of me see why a contract wasn't offered up? It appeared as though Perryman's re-signing would have made it a fait accompli that he would re-sign? Did he give off the impression that he didn't like living in Sydney? Do we see a better prospect in the daft than Kennedy?

I'm gutted to lose him. He will go on to be a frigging star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back