Certified Legendary Thread Squiggle 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Siren are you saying squiggle is not factoring this as a home game for Richmond? What if it did?
Correct, Squiggle's Grand Final tip never employs home ground advantage.

In a regular home & away game, Squiggle would tip the Tigers due to interstate home advantage, since both teams aren't rated very far apart.

I suspect that home ground advantage is less relevant in critical games because it gets swamped by other factors. So in a regular match, having to travel interstate & play in front of a partisan crowd at an unfamiliar ground is a pretty big deal, but when everything is focused on and prepared for this one match, it's more about intrinsic strength, match-ups and tactics.

Belted Freo by 100, smashed the Dogs on a Friday night and again crushed Port in the second Showdown, just off the top of my head.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Smashed St Kilda as well in the rain and it rained a little against Geelong in the PF as well.

I noticed that Adelaide are easily the best wet-weather side in the competition as well - at Adelaide Oval. Their scoring does not stop there! Not sure if that translates to the MCG though. I rate Richmond as the second-best wet-weather side, but that includes the MCG.

We'll have to wait and see what happens at the MCG if it rains this Saturday.

Smashed St Kilda as well in the rain and it rained a little against Geelong in the PF as well.

I noticed that Adelaide are easily the best wet-weather side in the competition as well - at Adelaide Oval. Their scoring does not stop there! Not sure if that translates to the MCG though. I rate Richmond as the second-best wet-weather side, but that includes the MCG.

We'll have to wait and see what happens at the MCG if it rains this Saturday.
Yep rain would favour Adelaide. For those who've not seen it, in the wet Adelaide's skills seem to remain unaffected. It's been quite remarkable to watch this year.

It's supposed to be dry on Saturday though right?

Yep rain would favour Adelaide. For those who've not seen it, in the wet Adelaide's skills seem to remain unaffected. It's been quite remarkable to watch this year.

It's supposed to be dry on Saturday though right?
Yeah, that is the tough thing about Adelaide in the rain. Opposition is affected but they aren't. Richmond is also good in the rain (probably 2nd), but their skills are affected. Not sure, but we'll have to see on the day how the weather is like.

Adelaide in the rain has been really strange this year. In previous years the Crows haven't stood out as being a great wet weather team, but this year they have played as though it was still dry. No idea why, but it's happened on multiple occasions this year.

Adelaide in the rain has been really strange this year. In previous years the Crows haven't stood out as being a great wet weather team, but this year they have played as though it was still dry. No idea why, but it's happened on multiple occasions this year.

I saw some stat that shows that Adelaide’s handball to kick ratio drops 10% (or was it 5?) in the rain while the opposition did not change. So it is just good Coaching - the Crows have an active, trained for game plan for the rain. By the time the opposition changes the game plan it is all over.

The Crows seem to kick longer into space and let players run into the ball and do less finessing

Just highly skilled this year? So you dont turn it over even when its wet.

I saw some stat that shows that Adelaide’s handball to kick ratio drops 10% (or was it 5?) in the rain while the opposition did not change. So it is just good Coaching - the Crows have an active, trained for game plan for the rain. By the time the opposition changes the game plan it is all over.

The Crows seem to kick longer into space and let players run into the ball and do less finessing
In the Crows games I've seen this year in the wet, the Crows have been less fumbly compared to their opposition as well. It was very odd to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in denial about the chances of us losing this - it just doesn't seem possible, but I know rationally that it is possible. A truly bizarre feeling.
I'm in denial about the chances of us winning this - it just doesn't seem possible, but I know rationally that it is possible. A truly familiar feeling.

That freo match was crazy. The ball was a bar of soap to the dockers players yet our guys were playing like it was a 25 degree summer day.

I saw Adelaide play Freo in the wet this year, and while Fremantle are s**t (Richmond also belted them at Subi) it was like the teams were playing in different conditions.

Adelaide have that Geelong under Thompson feel about them where they are good in any conditions (Geelong of that era being the best wet weather team I've ever seen).

Personally I hope it's a bright sunny day. The best thing about finals footy as a kid growing up was seeing games at the MCG in broad, beaming sunlight after a long dark winter. Nitwits who want everything to be a night game don't know what they're losing. I imagine they're mostly obese bums who don't get out of bed until midday.

In the Crows games I've seen this year in the wet, the Crows have been less fumbly compared to their opposition as well. It was very odd to see.

It might be an illusion. By doing less fast, but hard to control handballs and less disposals it may appear like the Crows are fumbling less.

40% chance of 0-1mm of rain. That is not a ‘wet’ game.

Personally I hope it's a bright sunny day. The best thing about finals footy as a kid growing up was seeing games at the MCG in broad, beaming sunlight after a long dark winter. Nitwits who want everything to be a night game don't know what they're losing. I imagine they're mostly obese bums who don't get out of bed until midday.

Great post - I know people love their prime time night games but there is something about grand final DAY with the match being played out with the hallowed turf bathed in glorious sunshine.

Great post - I know people love their prime time night games but there is something about grand final DAY with the match being played out with the hallowed turf bathed in glorious sunshine.
... Michael Long running down the wing.

Actually the most vivid memory of the GF in sunshine is the 3rd Quarter of the 2008 Grand Final. Everything Hawthorn did that quarter was golden.

I saw Adelaide play Freo in the wet this year, and while Fremantle are s**t (Richmond also belted them at Subi) it was like the teams were playing in different conditions.

Adelaide have that Geelong under Thompson feel about them where they are good in any conditions (Geelong of that era being the best wet weather team I've ever seen).

Cloudy is better. Hot sunny grand finals aren't pleasant for players or spectators.

With the grand final upon us and football about to disappear for another summer, again I would like to thank you FinalSiren for your squiggles and write-ups each week.

As a Suns supporter this really has been the highlight of my football year and I look forward to the day the Suns line squiggles up to the top right. Or even to the middle of the quadrant would be nice!

Good luck to you and your team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back