Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

The universal love he gets on here is borderline absurd. He's been around a lot longer then the last 3 years and he lost 3 picks not 30.

I'm not saying dump him or that he's hopeless but lets not pretend he's a proven gun. He's very much been middle of the road, it looks like its improving but you can excuse people for having doubts.

I think I liked this thread better when it was full of bad photoshop and taking the mickey.
:p Its the only thread about him.

I can make another thread about him though if you'd prefer? ;)

Team success supersedes individual success
Has never built a strong side.
You're right.

He picks players, he doesn't train or coach them

BLAME DODO

Surely his recruiting needs to be questioned if we still can't win finals in the next few years you know sometimes it might not be the coaches fault why we been crap for so long.
Who would you have taken in place of the players he took?

Take note, I want posts BEFORE the players were chosen, none of this hindsight bullshit.

Go

Is it just me or does most of the angst come in response to this stupid thread title?

Edit: if this was just the 'Adrian Dodoro/List Management thread' it would much more accurately reflect the tenor of the discussion in the tread. There would then seem much less of a need to come here and argue with people that he should be sacked for something he had no control over while we wait to see what shape the list is really in.

Last edited:
:p Its the only thread about him.

I can make another thread about him though if you'd prefer? ;)
Wasn't really directed at you. Your post only followed those which came before it, which is why I didn't quote you. My post was about the thread generally.

The thread started as banter... at some point we've collectively (apparently) drunk our own bathwater, and now the thread has become a shitfight between the ones that believe the sun shines out of his arse and people looking for any opportunity to criticise him as if to prove that it doesn't.

As with anything, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

It's it just me or does most of the angst come for this stupid thread title?
That's what I mean... go back and read the OP, the thread title was always meant to take the piss. At some point, people have started to take it seriously :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"We are a draft and develop club" a strategy that hasn't worked imo.

Not saying we should stop going to the draft but at the same time you cant keep relying on it you need to trade in qaulity to fill in gaps also.
Still waiting on those choices you would have made

All the years you think he failed

What would you have done differently

Well for starters it's been known Essendon's mid field has been average for a long time but yet we continue to avoid it.

Look he's done well the last couple years during the saga which is fair enough but that's over now cant be used as an excuse anymore time for Dodoro to earn his money imo,

Well for starters it's been know Essendon's mid field has been average for a long time but yet we continue to avoid the problem.
Except for adding Parish, Merrett, Begley, Mutch, McGrath, Langford and Laverde in the past 4 years

Along with possible midfield minutes from Francis, Fantasia and Walla

So only 10 players in 4 years.

I like Dodoro i just find it staggering that he's immune to criticism.
Not immune to criticism at all.

People blaming our past shitness, especially during the saga, on Dodoro are putting their blame in the wrong direction.

Dodo has had some shockers in Kav and Steinberg, also had some absolute steals Raz and Merrett.

People also complaining we never land a big name at trade also fail to take into account we have been a very s**t side for a very long time. Not overly attractive to opposition players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back