News Maxwell returns to Collingwood (see #60 for details)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is such a bullshit appointment imo. The football department tax means we should be cutting waste not creating meaningless feel good positions that add minimal value.

Leadership and culture is something that only be built from within the playing group. I'm very skeptical of the value of people who sell themselves as gurus in these areas and would much prefer we devoted our limited budget on technical skills whether it be in fitness, recruiting or skills development.

It's perplexing that this review identified leadership and culture as a problem when the failures of the last few seasons are so clearly due to poor skill execution and injury management. There was nothing wrong with the players endeavour, culture etc this season and tbh it's the main reason why the coach still has a job. I mean if there was a problem with culture and team effort, what reason did they have to reappoint the coach because I can't think of any?

Last edited:
This is such a bullshit appointment imo. The football department tax means we should be cutting waste not creating meaningless feel good positions that add minimal value.

Leadership and culture is something that only be built from within the playing group. I'm very skeptical of the value of people who sell themselves as gurus in these areas and would much prefer we devoted our limited budget on technical skills whether it be in fitness, recruiting or skills development.

It's perplexing that this review identified leadership and culture as a problem when the failures of the last few seasons are so clearly due to poor skill execution and injury management. There was nothing wrong with the players endeavour, culture etc this season and tbh it's the main reason why the coach still has a job. I mean if there was a problem with culture and team effort, what reason did they have to reappoint the coach because I can't think of any?
Yep. That's pretty much summed it up for me too.
What is it Clarkson is fond of saying?
The 5 most important people at a footy club are coach, captain, list manager, footy department head and CEO.
Are wr still a footy club?

Last edited:
Yep. That's pretty much summed it up for me too.
What is it Clarkson is fond of saying?
The 5 most important people at a footy club are coach, captain, list manager, footy department head and CEO.
Are wr still a footy club?

Maybe Clarko never thought of no.6 - Leadership and Culture Manager?:)

I agree that the job and title sounds like one of those 'made up' modern management positions. Maybe even invented just to get Maxy back, by whatever means.

But he is no time waster or hanger on. I am confident that he will benefit the club, and is the type of person you want in your system.

It's a strong appointment, IMO, but I'll stop short of labelling it fantastic. I think the role was certainly required and that Maxwell is a good fit, but I do have queries around how we got to the decision on the role. That won't determine the value it will provide rather the decision making that lead to its creation.

In general welcome back Maxy you've got a s**t tonne of work ahead of you improving our culture and leadership! It'll be a mighty challenge so I'm glad you have the tools to be successful.

Don't rate him as highly as most as a player nor leader and the opinions he has expressed since leaving the club.
But more importantly, not sure about bringing more ex players back.
Anyway as I stated previously, not enthused about it but if it improves us all good. I just never got into best captain etc.
No real angst, just my opinion.
Will still renew my membership and go to as many games as possible.

Over the few years that I was fortunate enough to receive info in relation to the club my source was critical of almost everything we did. I'm talking a three year period of potting the club with pretty much all of it supported by facts around decisions and the results have followed. This person was the most knowledgeable football person I've ever met and every time they gave the club a clip it wound up justified. I promise everyone we don't sit where we do by accident our decisions and attitude have lead us to this level of mediocrity.

My source never rated Maxwell for a long time, but had their mind changed in 14-15 and Maxwell was marooned as someone they acknowledged as good in their role at the club. To me hearing that was extremely high praise and Maxwell will definitely add value in the role. I do understand the hesitancy from the "jobs for the boys" because if Maxwell hadn't accepted the role there's no way we would have given it to someone else, IMO.

Yeah, he's probably counting supporters in "big" as well.
He did say big, not an adjective that can be used for GWS.

What he actually meant is ...

"Let me regurgitate some BS cliche that the media dept told me to say. Of course I know it's rubbish, but the media dept reminded me that nobody gives a toss about whether cliches are true or not."

Maybe Clarko never thought of no.6 - Leadership and Culture Manager?:)

I agree that the job and title sounds like one of those 'made up' modern management positions. Maybe even invented just to get Maxy back, by whatever means.

But he is no time waster or hanger on. I am confident that he will benefit the club, and is the type of person you want in your system.

Only 5 digits on the hand he was counting off.

It's all about giving Buckley more support (identified in review?).
Bringing in 'quality' people can never be a negative.
Maxwell's position may also grow/morph into sometime else eventually?
Another strong voice/opinion...sounding board cannot be bad.
Let Bucks concentrate on the Footy...Maxy can do the other stuff...

Win games will look like a genius move.

Lose games will look like a move for numb skulls.

Whether he's any good or not is actually irrelevant to how it will be judged.

I can understand people's hesitancy regarding jobs for the boys, but when you can get the best person for the job I don't care how they're appointed.

Hypothetically if James Clement wanted to work for the club in some capacity I'd invent a position for him too.
I think I get your sentiment, only area I disagree is that if they aren't appointed through a solid process it's an indicator that other appointments are less likely to have the best person for the job and we need many good people at the club to get on field success.

Tsk tsk tsk ...

His quote "It's just so different now, I don't think there's another organisation that is as big in sport at the moment as the Pies are in terms of the netball team, the AFLW, and obviously the administration of football. The opportunity to work with so many people across all the different codes ..."

... there is actually one other AFL club that has a netball team and an AFLW team and provides the opportunity to work with so many people across all the different codes ...

... it's the one he's just friggen come from!!! :rolleyes:

Our womens and netball side can go the way of the dodo for all I care if it takes even 0.1 focus off the team without whom everything else wouldn't exist.

Less worry about being the biggest brand and more concern about becoming the best run football club in the land is what I want.

Hell it's what I demand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxy was the backline General in a Premiership year.
WTF isn't he in the box in charge of the back 6?
Another right royal glory be up by Ed and co.
We are a shambles. Even the obvious is not seen by our useless admin.

He isn't in the box because he has zero coaching experience and by all reports doesn't wish to follow that path.

Besides we're partly in this mess because of to many appointments of under experienced coaches in the Collingwood box.

Our womens and netball side can go the way of the dodo for all I care if it takes even 0.1 focus off the team without whom everything else wouldn't exist.

Less worry about being the biggest brand and more concern about becoming the best run football club in the land is what I want.

Hell it's what I demand.
it might be part of an elaborate plan to pay him outside the football department budget though

It seems to me his real title should be 'Football Manager in Waiting'....

Hell it's what I demand.

The 2017 AFLW Premiers are likely to also become the 2017 AFL Premiers, so the AFLW program doesn't need to be a totally disruptive thing.

Win games will look like a genius move.

Lose games will look like a move for numb skulls.

Whether he's any good or not is actually irrelevant to how it will be judged.

This.

Lets be honest none of us really have any idea what is going on behind closed doors.

Maxy does seem to have his head switched on right and even if at a minimum this role is about mentoring our captain and leadership group (Which IMO has been a key deficit the last few years) then that should be a positive.
---

Also in terms of "job for the boys" - I'm hoping that Longmuir is a start and we get another couple of senior assistants in from other programs. What Maxy might provide is completely outside of that.

This.

Lets be honest none of us really have any idea what is going on behind closed doors.

Maxy does seem to have his head switched on right and even if at a minimum this role is about mentoring our captain and leadership group (Which IMO has been a key deficit the last few years) then that should be a positive.
---

Also in terms of "job for the boys" - I'm hoping that Longmuir is a start and we get another couple of senior assistants in from other programs. What Maxy might provide is completely outside of that.
Agree.

But beware the thought police are out and about.

At the end Nick looks a good type but I don't really know and the results will say how we view things.

The 2017 AFLW Premiers are likely to also become the 2017 AFL Premiers, so the AFLW program doesn't need to be a totally disruptive thing.

First of all I only care about what's best for my football club. Stuff the rest.;)

Secondly unlike Adelaide we have been under performing on field and seemingly dragging our knuckles off it as well these past few seasons so we need to make up ground on our competition within our core business of the AFL men's team before we worry to much about our expansion interests IMO.

The women's competition will continue to grow across the years and with it the professional requirements of the players and the responsibilities to manage them will also so it's only going to require greater focus moving forward.

Personally I believe many within the administration got a bit to comfortable with themselves after our 2010/11 seasons, took there eye off the ball to a degree and were content enough with record membership numbers, increasing revenue and brand expansion.

With the tabling of the reports hopefully we have finally woken up to the fact we were no longer employing industry best practice in many areas and have set about rectifying that and will see positive results flow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back