AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure Hepp wont be taken back by how we describe his effort last week because its the kind of effort that was below his standards and I am sure he will be just as dirty on it as we are but a big preseason and next year presents a chance to make amends.

I'll tell you why he won't be taken back, because he won't know about it, because he won't read BigFooty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll tell you why he won't be taken back, because he won't know about it, because he won't read BigFooty

He might not but he will hear similar views on other social media platforms, as one player said on 360 even when you don't look at it you do still hear about the feedback.

It seems lots of the "returning" players have run out of juice in the last month or so. Myers, Heppell, Hurley, Bellchambers, Watson and Colyer were of little or no use at all on Saturday.
I would be expecting better things from them next year, for longer!

Watching the Port game later that day, I found it interesting that Ryder was also putrid who had been unbelievable all year. It would have been a big year physically and emotionally for the lads of which they will be better off for it next year.

In regards to Hep, I thought he may be worth a try back in defence a few times but too many seagulls already back there (not that Dyson is a seagull but he does play that +1 role well). Having had time to think about it, I think there's definite improvement in him next year playing the inside accumulator role with guys like Zerrett, Parish and McGreat around him to finish off plays

Watching the Port game later that day, I found it interesting that Ryder was also putrid who had been unbelievable all year. It would have been a big year physically and emotionally for the lads of which they will be better off for it next year.

In regards to Hep, I thought he may be worth a try back in defence a few times but too many seagulls already back there (not that Dyson is a seagull but he does play that +1 role well). Having had time to think about it, I think there's definite improvement in him next year playing the inside accumulator role with guys like Zerrett, Parish and McGreat around him to finish off plays

Heppell was below (his extremely high) standard all year, not just in the final. He certainly did have better games, but as a rule was a touch below. I'm sure it's getting the fitness up to absolute top notch standard, combined with some rustiness. I have no doubt he'll be back to his best next year.

As for Ryder, even with the brilliance of his year, he was still inconsistent, as an example he was terrible against Adelaide and terrible against us, when tbc took him apart. He was fit and firing in the last 4 rounds, then had a week's rest, I doubt his poor final had anything to do with fatigue, just classic Ryder.

Slightly surprised that Dyson got 14 votes, just 1 less than Zach.

Had a decent year but thought Zach was a lot better.
Me too, although I think he had a better year than most have given him credit for.

Heppell got better as the year progressed, where as I think Zach kind of dropped off towards the end there.

Ultimately, really happy with Dys' year and I fully expect with another uninterrupted pre-season under his belt, he'll be back in career best form next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played too much outside this year - He's an inside mid, in fact a very good inside mid - This is where he must play in 2018 - No excuses with the retirement of Watson.
I agree to certain extent. I'd like to see them utilise his aerial ability more & play him on the hbf as an interceptor when he's not in the guts.
He's a smart footballer & with pops gone we're going to need to rotate a bit of experience & smart ball use through there.

I also think he'd make a pretty handy forward but thats a discussion for another day.

Please be Robert Walls.
As usual Purple got it wrong.

It was Caroline Wilson, they were alone in a room at crown and it wasn't quite a milky cocktail, but not dissimilar.

Apparently Dyson was being served by the same barmen that served Fevola a few years ago.

Heppell was below (his extremely high) standard all year, not just in the final. He certainly did have better games, but as a rule was a touch below. I'm sure it's getting the fitness up to absolute top notch standard, combined with some rustiness. I have no doubt he'll be back to his best next year.

As for Ryder, even with the brilliance of his year, he was still inconsistent, as an example he was terrible against Adelaide and terrible against us, when tbc took him apart. He was fit and firing in the last 4 rounds, then had a week's rest, I doubt his poor final had anything to do with fatigue, just classic Ryder.

Would be great to see him get back to his best next year.

Hopefully the slower players aren't more adversely affected by the 12 months off than the others.

I also thought Myers looked well below what he used to be, and obviously ol mate Jobe.

But Colyer debunks the theory.

I was going to post something along those lines but thought it would be in poor taste.
If you've ever spilt a brandy alexander or a grasshopper or something, it's pretty nasty - which is what the first part of my post was attempting to go for.

I edited to add the second part because I felt like I was leaving myself open if I didn't. :shrug:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back