Club Mgmt. We finally got an AFLW license!!! - Season starts last weekend of August

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW-Launch-900x560.jpg
Dons' defining day: AFLW licence granted
Essendon Football Club has today become truly whole, with the AFL Commission granting an AFLW licence for the Bombers to join the national women’s competition for the 2022/2023 season onwards.

The AFL announced Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney and Port Adelaide as the remaining clubs to secure licences after reviewing the Bombers’ formal submission document presented to the AFL Commission in early July.

President Paul Brasher said it was a defining day in the history of the Essendon Football Club.

“We are a football club with a proud, rich, diverse, inclusive and successful history, but today, the Essendon Football Club becomes whole. Today is a landmark day for the red and black,” Brasher said.

“We have never been better positioned to enter the AFLW competition and on behalf of the club, I wish to thank Richard Goyder and the AFL Commission for reaching this outcome.

“Likewise, I wish to thank the many staff within our own organisation who have worked tirelessly on not only this submission but through their contribution in ensuring strong foundations have been laid across our club and VFLW program over a number of years. We have particularly drawn inspiration from the players in our VFLW team during that period.

“Through our commitment to growing the game and establishing pathways across Melbourne’s northern corridor and the Northern Territory, through our relationship with Calder Cannons and our NGA programs and our flagship First Nation’s Women’s Pathway Program, we believe we will have the emerging talent to underpin the list profile for our AFLW team.

“With our bespoke AFLW facilities now completed at the NEC Hangar, and with our long-term vision of AFLW games being played at Windy Hill, our impact in the AFLW competition will only be further strengthened.

“We again thank the Victorian State Government for their support in establishing these facilities and their ongoing commitment to providing opportunities for women to participate in our great game of AFL at every level.

“Finally, every young Bomber – boy or girl – can dream of one day representing the mighty red and black, and for us this is exactly why our football club is now truly whole.”

Haha. I don't think we'll get a side until 2020.

It would be insane of the AFL not to get us in as soon as possible and the same goes for Richmond. It would create eight blockbuster fixtures a year that would produce crowds that dwarf anything in women's sport and which would generate interest that would rival most of a season for any other teams in any other codes.

Just look at what we've done off field this year - a $4,000,000 profit and second highest attendances for the year playing home games at Etihad. We're the waking giant of the AFL (as opposed to the hungover giant that could hardly get out of bed for the last 15 years).

It's not about claiming a right or being arrogant, it's the decision that makes sense. If the AFL is smart it takes advantage now and I'd back our VFL team to get higher attendances than everyone other than Fremantle, Adelaide, Carlton and Collingwood. Football is too tribal to assume that the crowds and interest in AFLW will not reflect the mens game.

The talk was four or five licenses granted and remaining teams could get licenses as well but delayed entry date sometime after 2019. Looks like Geelong and Tasmanian Kangaroos are in, West Coast, Richmond and St Kilda have provisional licenses from last time.

Hawthorn double up on the Tasmania angle and Essendon double up on the NT angle, which is apparently causing some headaches, although not for the NT or Tasmania who are finally getting some real representation in football. I think the AFL might prefer what we (or Hawthorn) have to offer over perhaps St Kilda or Richmond, but there will be discontent among those who miss out if they already had provisional licenses from last time. New league, supposed to be more equal and accepting and modern, but will it still be plagued by the old boys club? Time will tell.

And then there's Sydney and Gold Coast wanting teams as well, but one can't seem to manage its mens team and the other has no facilities and no immediate likelihood of getting some. Port didn't apply because China.

As arrogant as it sounds, the AFL can't afford to not grant us and probably Richmond licences. It would accelerate the growth of the league hugely and it would mean a bigger, more even competition will be achieved sooner. I think that's the sticking point. Surely the end goal of having the most successful women's sporting competition in Australia is more important than giving full licences to appease the clubs who already have these flimsy provisional licences?

EDIT: The AFL were stupid to give out provisional licences in the first place. But I guess the AFL make stupid mistakes like this pretty often so we should be used to it.

There's also a question of diluting the talent pool as well. I think that was another sticking point and not wanting to do too much too soon. But they also don't want an "us and them" between original clubs and ones that enter later, so they need to keep up the ambitious strategy they started on when they brought the league start forward... although that is apparently a good way to start a rivalry xD

As far as diluting talent is concerned, getting more players involved in a WA or Tas or Geelong club shouldn't dilute it much anyway, it's more about whether there is enough talent in Melbourne when there are ten clubs on each other's doorsteps just about. I think North are planning to be based in Melbourne and just play games on the apple isle? Not 100% sure how it works as far as recruiting Tasmanian players :/

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-30/aflw-delay-highlights-significance
AFLW delay highlights significance

Potential Essendon AFLW player Michaela Long on the Tiwi Islands earlier this year. A successful Bombers bid would provide a pathway from Tiwi Islands to Tullamarine.

Essendon Chief Executive Xavier Campbell says the AFL Commission’s decision to delay the announcement on new licenses for the 2019 women’s competition demonstrates the importance of the next stage of growth in the women’s game.

The Bombers are among eight clubs vying for an unknown number of licenses in the AFLW competition for the 2019 season.

The Commission met on Tuesday before requesting more information from the AFL Executive.

It means a final decision on the expansion of the competition won’t be known until late next month.

“For me it says how important and serious this next phase of growth is going to be for AFLW,” Campbell told Bomber Radio.

“Everyone would have loved a decision yesterday but it seems prudent, appropriate and responsible to do that.

“The Commission is obviously challenging the AFL Executive to do some more modelling around what growth looks like.

“Hopefully it means more teams, than less.”

The Bombers bid is underpinned by an ongoing commitment to grow and develop pathways in both the rapidly developing north-west corridor in Melbourne and remote communities in the Northern Territory.

Campbell expects around one third of Essendon’s AFLW list to come from Tiwi Islands and Maningrida.

Once at the Club, the players would enjoy the benefits of an $18 million expansion that would provide the best female facilities in the competition.

“I feel really confident in our position … I would like to think we would get a license because our application is a compelling one,” Campbell said.

“We’ve always invested in this space – right back to the Essendon Women’s Network 20 years ago, so the role of women in football has always been profound to us.

“The evolution to get a women’s team was always going to be a natural fit for us so we feel we’ve put together a bid that is compelling, but is (also) genuine and authentic.”

Several unsuccessful bidders for the inaugural AFLW season were awarded provisional licenses at the time but Campbell said Essendon shouldn’t be discounted on that basis given the issues the Club was dealing with throughout that period.

Regardless of the outcome of the Commission’s decision next month, Essendon is set to field a VFLW team in 2018 and will continue to invest in the development of female talent pathways locally and in the Northern Territory.

“I’d love to think that the Commission make a decision not just on 2019, but the years beyond that for the clubs to give them greater certainty about entering the AFLW League,” Campbell said.

“We’ve built the girls academy, we’re already heavily invested in the north-west through coaching.

“We will continue to invest very heavily in that and there is the opportunity for a VFLW team which we’re seriously considering we’ll likely take up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the age is reporting two teams at least will be announced for 2019, those being North and Richmond.

Saints, Cats and WC i believe were the other favorites.

Wouldn't be surprised if we are granted provisional to prepare for the 2020 season.

Think the age is reporting two teams at least will be announced for 2019, those being North and Richmond.

Saints, Cats and WC i believe were the other favorites.

Wouldn't be surprised if we are granted provisional to prepare for the 2020 season.
talk was richmond was going to be declined, which is staggering.
Perhaps the GF berth has seen an about face and the AFL will look to tap into Tiger Mania. as they should.

Ill be surprised if we are knocked back over the Roos/Tasmanian team.
Optics over stability is not what the AFLW needs right now. Trying to solve the Tas issue with an upstart league is naive and foolish.
Essendon and Richmond have the fan bases that will support this the way its needed to make it viable.
Add to that the city of geelong is parochial enough to get behind their side.

Add to that St Kilda barely have a home base and Arden St is a terrible venue to play a game that will draw anywhere near 10K supporters. Nowhere to park, its a thoroughfare to the city for the North, public transport is virtually non-existent (not that tullamarine is any better, but windy hill would be)

VIC: Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong
SA: Adelaide
NSW: GWS
QLD: Brisbane
WA: Eagles, Dockers

Critical juncture right now. The launch product was good. They are prioritising rapid evolution over steady progress, so the decision needs to be a smart one in terms of expanding the league.
How you can expect a North AFLW team to pull crowds of 40-50% of their AFL equivalent, where 20% of the Essendon/Richmond crowds would quite easily cover the minimum requirement is beyond me.

Gold Coast and North, but no Essendon. Do they want people to watch these games? Going for the small fan base makes no sense.
Makes complete sense. Essendon is a club they can rely on getting later because they're a big club.

Gold Coast and North, but no Essendon. Do they want people to watch these games? Going for the small fan base makes no sense.
Depends on how you view it, if they are looking from an equalisation point of view in hoping to get new women fans who don't currently follow AFL then getting them to choose from a smaller team helps those clubs.

Maybe a stretch but the best I've got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back