Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

That's asking for the opposition to waltz away from any clearance we don't get our hands on first.

All good players. Minimal defensive pressure (Merrett 'acceptable')
we need to fix that up across the board.
Parish is probably our best. McGrath about the same, but he's smarter with his pressure.

Heppell, Goddard, Myers, Merrett, Zaka - we need them all to ramp the pressure up at stoppages and not allow the ball out so easily.

Looks fine but we also need to take into account that you can't have these blokes there 100% of the time. God I hope Stringer can be our Martin-type. It's a big stretch (seeing as we don't have him and Martin is twice as good ATM), but he has the exact type of explosive inside/outside capabilities that would take a massive load off those players mentioned.
Martin is exactly the type of player i think Stringer can be. Perhaps a little more of a marking forward than Martin is, but he's in a similar mould. Lots of x-factor, explosive pace and a massive boot on him. More accurate than your Danger/Fyfe types, but less of a bull than them too.

Parish, Begley & Stringer give us options to rotate through the middle and forward flanks.
As do Langford, Laverde, Colyer, Tippa and Fantasia.

That would be my starting line up, and you would be rotating the rest of the players through the middle.

Martin is exactly the type of player i think Stringer can be. Perhaps a little more of a marking forward than Martin is, but he's in a similar mould. Lots of x-factor, explosive pace and a massive boot on him. More accurate than your Danger/Fyfe types, but less of a bull than them too.

Parish, Begley & Stringer give us options to rotate through the middle and forward flanks.
As do Langford, Laverde, Colyer, Tippa and Fantasia.

That would be my starting line up, and you would be rotating the rest of the players through the middle.
Yep, but unless Stringer proves to be a midfield option we are still, at best 1, but most likely 2 quality mids away from a GF side.

i would like us to stop playing him in defence.
get a rebounding HBF, put Gleeson in that 7th defender/mid role.
Goddard on the ball please. We were looking good early season when he was in that role.
Totally agree. There's legitimate competence across HB now for Beej not to have to be there. With Watson gone I'd like to see a bigger body with some experience helping make sure the stoppages are set. Langford and Laverde will have more time there next year, so someone uncompromising would be good to have there. Needs to draw the line at being a dick though.

Totally agree. There's legitimate competence across HB now for Beej not to have to be there. With Watson gone I'd like to see a bigger body with some experience helping make sure the stoppages are set. Langford and Laverde will have more time there next year, so someone uncompromising would be good to have there. Needs to draw the line at being a dick though.
His attitude doesn't bother me. It could make its way a little more into some of our players

someone on On the Couch made an interesting point last night. Adelaide and Richmond barely score from centre clearances (I'm guessing they mean the clearance and a mark inside 50), but tend to score from locking the ball in the 50 from a stoppage.
i.e. get the ball forward at all costs.
Goddard can do that. He's pretty good under pressure at getting the ball out. And the less he tries the ambitious kick to the centre from HBF, the happier i am.
Teams started to work out what he was about to do and cut it off for a rebound.

I like the idea of him centre/forward of centre and less in defence.

His attitude doesn't bother me. It could make its way a little more into some of our players

someone on On the Couch made an interesting point last night. Adelaide and Richmond barely score from centre clearances (I'm guessing they mean the clearance and a mark inside 50), but tend to score from locking the ball in the 50 from a stoppage.
i.e. get the ball forward at all costs.
Goddard can do that. He's pretty good under pressure at getting the ball out. And the less he tries the ambitious kick to the centre from HBF, the happier i am.
Teams started to work out what he was about to do and cut it off for a rebound.

I like the idea of him centre/forward of centre and less in defence.
He's vision and ability to read the play are his best assets and becomes limited the closer to goal.
He is very versatile and should only move fwd if someone can impact just as much as he does from the backline. However the need for Goddard around stoppages may outweigh the need for him to set up from defence.

A fabulous season or career?

Season. He's gone where he's told and done a high standard job in every role he's been given, Inside mid, tagger, sweeper, 3rd tall defender. Don't let the fact that he reads the play better than pretty much anyone anywhere (which is why he's always pointing at something) and that he has one of the all time great punchable pills cloud your judgement.

Season. He's gone where he's told and done a high standard job in every role he's been given, Inside mid, tagger, sweeper, 3rd tall defender. Don't let the fact that he reads the play better than pretty much anyone anywhere (which is why he's always pointing at something) and that he has one of the all time great punchable pills cloud your judgement.

Had a feeling you meant season but thought I'd pick you up on a missing word.

Is this real life?

Goddard's favourite finals moment on the AFL website is the 99 prelim

D

List

The fact tgat he was a Blues fan before being drafted doesn't cut it for me. We obviously haven't permeated his soul yet... delisting is too good for him... I suggest Cercei's walk of shame!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer the reality where Carlton lose access to a generational talent and lifelong blues fan because they cheated the cap

Carlton fans still claim they are feeling the effects of the salary cap penalties they copped over a decade ago when you compare to what Essendon got seems like a wet lettuce slap.

Last edited:
After 100 ess games he should know us...he should be one of us!

I can't have this. Couldn't the 95 flag have been his moment? ANY OTHER Carlton moment that does not hurt us...

Its like having Australia Day on the 26th when it hurts ppl.

99 still hurts.

After 100 ess games he should know us...he should be one of us!

I can't have this. Couldn't the 95 flag have been his moment? ANY OTHER Carlton moment that does not hurt us...

99 still hurts.

I still have Justin Murphy throwing his arms in the air on the siren etched in my brain.

99 still hurts.
Every Carlton supporter I know and have met say that the 99 preliminary final is their best football moment.

That's right. They prefer beating us in heartbreaking circumstances in a preliminary final, than win a flag.

Explains everything about them really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back