Club Mgmt. We finally got an AFLW license!!! - Season starts last weekend of August

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW-Launch-900x560.jpg
Dons' defining day: AFLW licence granted
Essendon Football Club has today become truly whole, with the AFL Commission granting an AFLW licence for the Bombers to join the national women’s competition for the 2022/2023 season onwards.

The AFL announced Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney and Port Adelaide as the remaining clubs to secure licences after reviewing the Bombers’ formal submission document presented to the AFL Commission in early July.

President Paul Brasher said it was a defining day in the history of the Essendon Football Club.

“We are a football club with a proud, rich, diverse, inclusive and successful history, but today, the Essendon Football Club becomes whole. Today is a landmark day for the red and black,” Brasher said.

“We have never been better positioned to enter the AFLW competition and on behalf of the club, I wish to thank Richard Goyder and the AFL Commission for reaching this outcome.

“Likewise, I wish to thank the many staff within our own organisation who have worked tirelessly on not only this submission but through their contribution in ensuring strong foundations have been laid across our club and VFLW program over a number of years. We have particularly drawn inspiration from the players in our VFLW team during that period.

“Through our commitment to growing the game and establishing pathways across Melbourne’s northern corridor and the Northern Territory, through our relationship with Calder Cannons and our NGA programs and our flagship First Nation’s Women’s Pathway Program, we believe we will have the emerging talent to underpin the list profile for our AFLW team.

“With our bespoke AFLW facilities now completed at the NEC Hangar, and with our long-term vision of AFLW games being played at Windy Hill, our impact in the AFLW competition will only be further strengthened.

“We again thank the Victorian State Government for their support in establishing these facilities and their ongoing commitment to providing opportunities for women to participate in our great game of AFL at every level.

“Finally, every young Bomber – boy or girl – can dream of one day representing the mighty red and black, and for us this is exactly why our football club is now truly whole.”

well, there's one good reason I can think of...

And that's as a pure delivery vehicle for the Tasmanian Kangaroos. Get the name out there, get the supporters conditioned to it.

As part of a larger plan it actually makes perfect sense
It's so obvious and yet there they all are slapping each other on the back for being ahead of * on their board. :D

Also, answer your pm's mete.

I disagree

North, St Kilda and Gold Coast make up the bottom 5 for home game attendances this year.
GWS and Brisbane make up the remainder bottom 5. Now all 5 have a team.

the league wants more supporters. so they leave the two teams whose home crowds are comfortably top 2 out (Rich and Ess)
If they want 10k at any given game, they need over 80% of GCS AFL crowds and about 50% of North crowds to turn up. About 35-40% of st kilda crowds.

for that number from Essendon and Richmond, its under 20%.

Richmond should have got the nod this time round over North.
Essendon the next time round over St Kilda.
Or both this time round and get the supporter bases whilst they are up and about.

Not sure how the AFL expects the AFLW comp to grow by promoting minnow clubs whose supporters barely rock up to see the AFL teams play.

On the GCS side I think many are missing the the bigger picture...

AFL is strategically interested in two things for the Australian sports market:
  1. Protect/grow existing market share in existing 'won' states (WA, SA, VIC, TAS)
  2. Continue to grow market share in target states (NSW, QLD)
The AFLW more or less does both - but particularly the second in a very clever way, and it has very little to do with attendance or crowd sizes. I'll preface the following with by saying this is NOT a short term strategy to success, AFL will see the fruits of it 5-10+ years from now.

The biggest thing that the NRL struggles with in Australia both in their 'won' states (NSW, QLD) and others, is their viewer and participant demographics. Compared to the AFL they have much fewer women that watch (both hardcore or casually) or play their sport (regardless of age or location) - this is something they would desperately want to correct. If you don't believe me go to an AFL game and observe women attendees, then go to a NRL game and do the same. Think about daughters of friends and family, which sport are they more interested in? Which sport are they more likely to play?

With that in mind as the AFL and you want to continue to grow into your target states this is an excellent strategy. You're using your existing strength to penetrate a market where the incumbent code is weak. Over the next 5-10+ years all of the next generation of women growing up in those states will be exposed to AFLW - giving them role models and a popular sports code to play, their mum and dad will also start attending/following AFL because of their kid, and when they get older you better believe that most guys will go along with their girlfriend/wife to see any sport. The best part is the NRL doesn't really have anyway to stop this, even if they built a women's league tomorrow the level of interest in playing/watching is so far behind the AFL.

Now ask yourself - does adding Essendon or GCS help AFL achieve their goals? The answer is easily GCS
  1. The VIC market is already has many women's teams and facilities without needing Essendon
  2. The VIC demographics are already good for women and not under threat from a competitor
  3. GCS already have good facilities to open their doors up to, and help grow the league
Added benefit outside of the strategic growth of the AFL as a code, is that they would love GCS to be independent, they probably see the AFLW as a way of growing their membership numbers in a way that helps get to sustainability faster. While also encouraging the local government to spend on local facilities that support the code.

Now sure - you could argue that Essendon should beat out North or St Kilda for a club because our size will bring more fans. But I don't think the AFL is concerned about that given how they've handed out licenses. My guess is that alongside strong viewer numbers they have seen early signs of really good cross sell/membership uptake from the first lot of entrants and as a result would prefer to get the struggling clubs in to help them and make it easier to improve existing facilities.

P.S. Like many others I'm disappointed that we won't have a side for 4+ years now. I'm unlikely to watch or follow it closely given that it clashes with the NFL/NBA and won't have an Essendon side.

so how does a club that enters late get any good players? Surely if you are good, you'll be in one of the teams already?

Damn and I really wanted to get into women's football but I'm that parochial an Essendon fan I dare say I'll have zero interest now for a few years

Yeah Lance, just look at GWS - how did they get any good players after coming into the league 140 years after Essendon?

Modern AFL teams don't fold under financial pressure, and they don't relocate or merge. The AFL pumps money into them and puts them under administration and helps them hire and gives them priority picks and tells the world that it's profitable to have 18 teams because every other team then plays an additional game and there are 9 games every weekend and everyone gets additional revenue from broadcast rights, etc. It doesn't matter if that one club costs them a fortune directly, because the money made back indirectly is better for everyone, and it grows the league, and expansion, and etc.

The AFL has enough money to fund the entire AFLW out of its own pockets for a few years while the small clubs establish a foothold in the market. The point isn't to make a *ton of money giving big clubs more airtime. They want to establish a new league that is equitable and modern and more national than the men's league has ever been. They have an opportunity to be progressive and forward thinking and all that modern buzz-word stuff. Surely that's kind of obvious by now?

Now ask yourself - does adding Essendon or GCS help AFL achieve their goals? The answer is easily GCS
  1. The VIC market is already has many women's teams and facilities without needing Essendon
  2. The VIC demographics are already good for women and not under threat from a competitor
  3. GCS already have good facilities to open their doors up to, and help grow the league
I expect this is why we went with playing games and setting up academies in the territory... although that steps on Adelaide's toes a bit.

NORTH Melbourne and Geelong will join an expanded NAB AFL Women’s competition in 2019, increasing the number of teams to 10.

Four other clubs – Gold Coast, West Coast, Richmond and St Kilda – will join the competition in 2020.

Hawthorn and Essendon were unsuccessful in their applications, but they will be able to apply to enter the AFLW from 2021.

"The AFL Commission are making this decision to balance the aspiration of making the best professional women's competition in Australia, with maximising engagement and opportunities through our clubs," McLachlan said.

"Expansion must be sustainable in AFLW. We are hoping to learn from other sports all over the world in ensuring we balance talent, organisational capability and finance.

"Essendon and Hawthorn put in very strong submissions. We look forward to working with them to create the foundations of talent and participation so they enter AFLW as soon as possible."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-27/afl-set-to-reveal-new-womens-teams-for-2019

The AFL obviously recognise that, unlike other football codes, half of its audience is female. It is hoping that creating women's teams will generate fans for the AFL teams.

My niece has become obsessed with footy. The AFWL was a big part of that. She's a diehard Essendon suppporter. She is going to be really pissed off about this.

Should the AFL go to the well and draw on girls/women like my niece, sisters and mother who are passionate Essendon supporters? Should they hope that the groundswell support for AFWL over this summer will generate more female support for clubs that need growth in their supporter base?

I never contemplated the later option. However, when you look at the AFL keeping clubs like North alive in the AFL and creating two new ones in the process it seems like the obvious direction that they would take. I totally disagree with this direction, but it is predictable they went down this path upon reflection post their decision.

My mother has 5 sisters who are all mad Essendon supporters. As are both my sisters, 6 female cousins, 3 daughters and niece. This all stems from my grandfather moving from the country to Glenroy after the war and following Essendon. He would take his six daughters to the football, just as he took both of his sons. All of them have grown into successful women in many professions and are proud feminists. The girls in my sisters generation are equally successful and feminist and one of my daughters is a national journalist who also promotes indigenous and feminist agendas.

My mother wanted to play football when she was young, but "girls didn't play football" back then. She was discouraged and teased. My niece did play basketball up until the AFWL this year. She has begun playing football exclusively. She now knows far more about the Essendon football club than any of my sons.

I have no doubt that the first Essendon game would have been an event they all attended. An historic moment for our proud family and a celebration of all things Essendon. It would also have been a celebration of how far feminism has come in the last 50 years, while acknowledging there is still much work to be done.

The AFL has obviously decided that it would prefer to milk the feminist support to drive up membership of battling clubs, rather than creating teams that would be power houses in the AFWL, at least off the field.

Surely as the first AFL club to have a female board member Essendon has a special place in this race. Where has Beverly Knight gone? I know she had to resign in disgrace. However, just as Hird and Evans are being welcomed back to the club, surely she can be. The very reason she was disgraced would have been a powerful connection for the club now. Her connection to the women in football networks could have helped. Knight has a long connection with the indigenous community, and is how I am connected to her, and was Michael Long's manager. With Michaela Long being involved, I wonder if she was.

so how does a club that enters late get any good players? Surely if you are good, you'll be in one of the teams already?

Damn and I really wanted to get into women's football but I'm that parochial an Essendon fan I dare say I'll have zero interest now for a few years

You can always cheer for Carlton to lose!

Understandable that we didn't get a licence. We were always behind many teams when we pulled out of the race before its first year.

The other Victorian teams with a provisional licence were always going to get preference over us.

That's my interest in AFLW completely gone.

Jesus Christ we're a self entitled mob aren't we?
Yeah was thinking the same.

Seems the old group think "Because Essendon" still has plenty of legs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus Christ we're a self entitled mob aren't we?

Yes we are, but for good reason. We are the second most supported club in the biggest football market in the game. We have always had a strong female component to that as well. We also provided the biggest boost in power to the women in football network by being the first club to have a female board member. I am also upset for personal family reasons, which is my right!

On the GCS side I think many are missing the the bigger picture...

AFL is strategically interested in two things for the Australian sports market:
  1. Protect/grow existing market share in existing 'won' states (WA, SA, VIC, TAS)
  2. Continue to grow market share in target states (NSW, QLD)
The AFLW more or less does both - but particularly the second in a very clever way, and it has very little to do with attendance or crowd sizes. I'll preface the following with by saying this is NOT a short term strategy to success, AFL will see the fruits of it 5-10+ years from now.

The biggest thing that the NRL struggles with in Australia both in their 'won' states (NSW, QLD) and others, is their viewer and participant demographics. Compared to the AFL they have much fewer women that watch (both hardcore or casually) or play their sport (regardless of age or location) - this is something they would desperately want to correct. If you don't believe me go to an AFL game and observe women attendees, then go to a NRL game and do the same. Think about daughters of friends and family, which sport are they more interested in? Which sport are they more likely to play?

With that in mind as the AFL and you want to continue to grow into your target states this is an excellent strategy. You're using your existing strength to penetrate a market where the incumbent code is weak. Over the next 5-10+ years all of the next generation of women growing up in those states will be exposed to AFLW - giving them role models and a popular sports code to play, their mum and dad will also start attending/following AFL because of their kid, and when they get older you better believe that most guys will go along with their girlfriend/wife to see any sport. The best part is the NRL doesn't really have anyway to stop this, even if they built a women's league tomorrow the level of interest in playing/watching is so far behind the AFL.

Added benefit outside of the strategic growth of the AFL as a code, is that they would love GCS to be independent, they probably see the AFLW as a way of growing their membership numbers in a way that helps get to sustainability faster. While also encouraging the local government to spend on local facilities that support the code.

Now sure - you could argue that Essendon should beat out North or St Kilda for a club because our size will bring more fans. But I don't think the AFL is concerned about that given how they've handed out licenses. My guess is that alongside strong viewer numbers they have seen early signs of really good cross sell/membership uptake from the first lot of entrants and as a result would prefer to get the struggling clubs in to help them and make it easier to improve existing facilities.

P.S. Like many others I'm disappointed that we won't have a side for 4+ years now. I'm unlikely to watch or follow it closely given that it clashes with the NFL/NBA and won't have an Essendon side.

I completely agree with this. Young girls playing the game will grow up into fans of the game and this is the best way to generate many generations of strong growth in support for these new teams. I just think that it was foolish not using the Essendon support to provide more money to the AFLW immediately.

Yes we are, but for good reason. We are the second most supported club in the biggest football market in the game. We have always had a strong female component to that as well. We also provided the biggest boost in power to the women in football network by being the first club to have a female board member. I am also upset for personal family reasons, which is my right!
If anything, the blame should be at the club and not the AFL. The talent pool is not big enough to expand the competition quicker than it currently is.

If they were so strongly committed to having an AFLW side, why didn't they aim to have a provisional licence the first time around instead of pulling the bid completely? The AFL is not going to delay sides like North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Geelong who held a provisional licence for a side that didn't apply first time around. You can't just say "look I'm rich. I'm a big club. Give me preference."

If they were so strongly committed to having an AFLW side, why didn't they aim to have a provisional licence the first time around instead of pulling the bid completely?
Because we had massive debts and our men's team was gutted, thereby cutting profits and making getting out of debt hard enough, without adding an AFLW team and expansion to the club hq to the budget in the immediate future. We've had a great year this year though, $4m profit or something if I remember correctly.

The biggest question is how do we go forward from here. I'd love a team for out 150th anniversary. I want to see a VFLW team, boys and girls academies in the north-west and in the territory. VFLW team should have suitable quarters as part of the new build. Next time we bid, we have to be readier than ready – as Geelong was this time. If our academy players end up at other AFLW clubs, so be it. We will have a pre-existing relationship with them and when we finally get a team it will be easier to get them back as marquees or via trade or whatever concessions are granted to new teams. Given the AFLW itself is a short end of summer season (almost like rep teams), they can play in our VFLW team throughout the season proper anyway.

Because we had massive debts and our men's team was gutted, thereby cutting profits and making getting out of debt hard enough, without adding an AFLW team and expansion to the club hq to the budget in the immediate future. We've had a great year this year though, $4m profit or something if I remember correctly.

The biggest question is how do we go forward from here. I'd love a team for out 150th anniversary. I want to see a VFLW team, boys and girls academies in the north-west and in the territory. VFLW team should have suitable quarters as part of the new build. Next time we bid, we have to be readier than ready – as Geelong was this time. If our academy players end up at other AFLW clubs, so be it. We will have a pre-existing relationship with them and when we finally get a team it will be easier to get them back as marquees or via trade or whatever concessions are granted to new teams. Given the AFLW itself is a short end of summer season (almost like rep teams), they can play in our VFLW team throughout the season proper anyway.
Didn't the club already say that we'll field an VFLW side next year regardless of the outcome of our bid?

Didn't the club already say that we'll field an VFLW side next year regardless of the outcome of our bid?
Hasn't been re-confirmed since our bid was not only unsuccessful but we also didn't get a provisional license for any particular year either. Would have liked some sort of solid date we could plan around, even if it's 5-10 years away.

I'm stunned that they give a license to a team that barely has 2 bob to rub together.

We will probably join the comp when the Sydney Swans do. Considering the talent pool/pathways that need to be developed, being one of the later entrants into the league is fine.

With that in mind as the AFL and you want to continue to grow into your target states this is an excellent strategy. You're using your existing strength to penetrate a market where the incumbent code is weak.

I get what you're saying, but to be honest it sounds very Sydney-centric (what discussions about NSW don't?). In Sydney it's not surprising that the numbers of women who watch are higher because there is so much more choice for women. In the country, however, with the availability of League Tag, touch and League, large numbers of women who know these games and the rules, and established competitions, the AFL has a lot of work to do if it even wants to break in. The main problem out here is that no-one understands the game or wants to invest the time in understanding it. It's somthing they could do reaonsably easily if they targeted schools through AusKick, because the opportunities for kids at country schools are few as well, and the parents want safe alternatives to League too. To say that the NRL is a weak code in country areas is simply not true. In many places, it's the only code.

I'm not disappointed at all.
I question its viability although I haven't looked through any aflw proposals so very limited to the expectations. For them to put other teams ahead of Essendon is questionable. Either the AFL has way too much money or the management of aflw is a bunch of cronies.
They said the teens coming through will have immediate impact but every year they say next years draft is the super draft...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back