Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

If I knew Clarke and had a chance of influencing him I'd tell him to spend the 10 weeks off season learning how to kick with his right foot. He has to do something because his kicking is horrid but he is far too good at every other part of the game to risk not making it because he grew up with a bad kicking technique.

All of the most 'natural' dual sided players generally have a story of a period of time during which they had no choice but to learn how to kick with an opposite foot.
I find skill acquisition across the board interesting at junior AFL level. We aren't very good at it as a code (think of the various curriculums that guide technical development in soccer worldwide).

As regards kicking specifically, whilst all coaches know a good or bad action when they see it, the ability to alter the mechanics of a those with a flawed style seems beyond most, if not all,coaches at every level.

It's crazy that this guy has gotten through our elite junior pathways without fixing this, the most fundamental skill of the game.

I find skill acquisition across the board interesting at junior AFL level. We aren't very good at it as a code (think of the various curriculums that guide technical development in soccer worldwide).

As regards kicking specifically, whilst all coaches know a good or bad action when they see it, the ability to alter the mechanics of a those with a flawed style seems beyond most, if not all,coaches at every level.

It's crazy that this guy has gotten through our elite junior pathways without fixing this, the most fundamental skill of the game.
It's an achievement in itself that he's made it onto a list.

To his credit it looks to have improved a little throughout this year.

It is but it isn't worrying that the only thing holding him back from getting a game in the seniors is his kicking. It is genuinely rubbish. Tidy it up to an acceptable level and he could pinch 5+ games next year.

I'd hope that we are thinking outside the square because I don't see how his technique/ball drop will ever stand up under physical pressure (even if he had a good day for the kicking test at draft camp).

He's otherwise a perfect fit for a team that could do with a few 6'2 inside midfielders who can run (and run hard both ways).

Just put this kid in the guts and let him go nuts ALA Pat Cripps and Diesel Williams.

I didnt see much of him this year but found it unusual in the vfl final he was playing up forward. I guess they backed in the experienced bigger bodies. But maybe that was just for the final, if not I hope he spends all season on the ball as his go was meant to be winning the clearance.

Equal 4th in the Essendon VFL best and fairest. He has had a better first year than most would give him credit for

yaco55 made the observation that Clarke was more advanced that Mutch and it was correct (despite being widely dismissed). Clarke tended to play forward and as an inside mid whereas Mutch tended to play as a defensive winger and it was easier for Mutch to rack up stats.

Clark definitely already knows where and when to run and his attack on the ball and player in possession is great. He is very clean by hand too. If Clarke could kick I reckon that he'd have made his AFL debut this year because he's already equipped for the rest of the game.

Appreciate that Mutch came second, he also played some really good footy.

Also, end yaco on behalf of yaco. That's got to entitle me to some sort of award.

Is there a player in the AFL who's kicking style is comparable to Clarke's? I haven't seen him play but it's widely regarded as his biggest weakness, and it's a considerable one.

Is it something that would be exposed in the AFL or could he get by as that inside midfielder/distributor who barely needs to kick?

Is there a player in the AFL who's kicking style is comparable to Clarke's? I haven't seen him play but it's widely regarded as his biggest weakness, and it's a considerable one.

Is it something that would be exposed in the AFL or could he get by as that inside midfielder/distributor who barely needs to kick?
Matt Crouch was a very poor kick but has understood his limitations and become more reliable. I can see Clarke doing the same, I still think his kicking will be worse but if he is winning enough clearances to feed it out to the likes of Zerrett and Parish then it wont be so bad. Many of the best inside mids in the comp aren't the best kicks they just need to be in the contest winning first possession and feeding it out while also blocking and offering tackling pressure. Clarke fits all those requirements.

Matt Crouch was a very poor kick but has understood his limitations and become more reliable. I can see Clarke doing the same, I still think his kicking will be worse but if he is winning enough clearances to feed it out to the likes of Zerrett and Parish then it wont be so bad. Many of the best inside mids in the comp aren't the best kicks they just need to be in the contest winning first possession and feeding it out while also blocking and offering tackling pressure. Clarke fits all those requirements.

Blocking and offering tackling pressure should see him fast tracked based on those attributes alone. Our midfield doesn't do nearly enough of it, especially blocking. If he can also win the pill with clean hands inside the contest then I want to see him get a crack sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blocking and offering tackling pressure should see him fast tracked based on those attributes alone. Our midfield doesn't do nearly enough of it, especially blocking. If he can also win the pill with clean hands inside the contest then I want to see him get a crack sooner rather than later.
Watch him flourish as a permanent mid at VFL level next year id expect him to be knocking down the door purely on his output every week. I project him averaging close to 30 touches a game if he is played in the middle next year same with Mutch. Ill be annoyed if guys like Nick O'Brien are getting midfield time over them next year

Also the fact he's got a massive tank. I genuinely believe if he could kick he would have played in place of Bird when he played.

He's literally Matt Priddis in everything he does.

The best was to describe it is that Clarke kicks the ball like the wog kids at school who had no interest in footy.

He kicks the ball like he is always surprised by how low it's got. He always looks like he's almost out of time and just trying to quickly get his boot on the pill before it hits the ground first.

There's a fair bit that needs to happen for it to become ok. No real rule to it obviously, but as a starting point it would be good if he could swing his leg back more so he can actually kick through the balk rather than up it, so to speak.

From all accounts he's a professional kid and I have no doubt he'll work on it. The big question mark for me is whether the club will be proactive enough to sort something out for him (i.e. tell him to use his right instead).

He'll be fine, he's aerobically and physically a pretty good sort, he's creative enough with his hands to make up for any perceived kicking shonkiness, he loves the hard stuff and his application and concentration in game is always first class.

Fully believe he could have played 6-10 games if he went to a club that wanted to use him like a Brisbane, Gold Coast or Carlton.

From what I've watched of under 18s games, and it isn't a lot so I'd love D_P_S input on this, is that many junior accumulators cannot kick to save their lives. One of the main reasons for there being such a huge gap between what could be considered a top five pick to a late second round. Is this because it's simply a results driven phase of football as opposed to teaching? Thoughts?

From what I've watched of under 18s games, and it isn't a lot so I'd love D_P_S input on this, is that many junior accumulators cannot kick to save their lives. One of the main reasons for there being such a huge gap between what could be considered a top five pick to a late second round. Is this because it's simply a results driven phase of football as opposed to teaching? Thoughts?
The players that can get a lot of the ball but also damage the opposition are the ones that go high, kicking isn't everything in how good they will end up though, a lot of people wrote off Sam Powell-Pepper because of his kicking but he has so much impact regardless that its not so bad. If you cant kick you need to still be damaging in other ways to be considered a high pick

By under 18 kicking technique should be full formed, I suspect there isn’t a lot you can do by that point.

I have a young boy in Auskick and playing at a junior club - neither environment has provided him with any kicking technique other than “hold it like a rocket.” I suspect this is largely the same at junior clubs and Auskick programs everywhere and I also suspect that beyond instructing how the ball should be held and to follow through, we haven’t actually worked out how to teach the skill of kicking.

Don’t even get me started on the fact that that three years into Auskick they are still instructing kids to take it on the chest....drives me batty, Little Vander was clunking them out in front from age 5

yaco55 made the observation that Clarke was more advanced that Mutch and it was correct (despite being widely dismissed). Clarke tended to play forward and as an inside mid whereas Mutch tended to play as a defensive winger and it was easier for Mutch to rack up stats.

Clark definitely already knows where and when to run and his attack on the ball and player in possession is great. He is very clean by hand too. If Clarke could kick I reckon that he'd have made his AFL debut this year because he's already equipped for the rest of the game.

Appreciate that Mutch came second, he also played some really good footy.

Also, end yaco on behalf of yaco. That's got to entitle me to some sort of award.

Actually made that observation on the basis of a small sample of two VFL games and a couple of match replays and highlights - Of course I could have seen Clarke on one of his better days and Mutch one one of his worse days - Clarke is a bone-fide inside midfielder and that's where he has to be played in the AFL - Expect Mutch to play AFL in round 1 and Clarke sometime in 2018 - I'm happy that Bruno read my ramblings !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back