Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Think long and hard about this
More the booze side of things - I wouldn't hve the job I have now if I was doing drugs. Regularly get tested but not being able to have a beer on the weekend just feels like it could get old real quick.

Friends I know no one who has ever done fly in fly out work any advice/experiences are greatly appreciated please!!!!

Friends I know no one who has ever done fly in fly out work any advice/experiences are greatly appreciated please!!!!
I have a mate who was doing 2 and 1 for a while. 2 weeks on 1 week off working 12 to 14 hour days.
He lasted a while but it become a bit too much in the end. Has a Wife, 2 young boys. The 1 off, all he wanted to do was sleep and she wanted to go out and spend some time with her husband who has been away for 2 weeks. And created a few other problems.
She works as well, so the week he was off she was working, yada, yada, yada.

I have a mate who was doing 2 and 1 for a while. 2 weeks on 1 week off working 12 to 14 hour days.
He lasted a while but it become a bit too much in the end. Has a Wife, 2 young boys. The 1 off, all he wanted to do was sleep and she wanted to go out and spend some time with her husband who has been away for 2 weeks. And created a few other problems.
She works as well, so the week he was off she was working, yada, yada, yada.
Cheers mate

More the booze side of things - I wouldn't hve the job I have now if I was doing drugs. Regularly get tested but not being able to have a beer on the weekend just feels like it could get old real quick.
As a high functioning alcoholic that would either be the best thing for me or the worst. You need to look at the wider ramifications to your life and relationships.

As a high functioning alcoholic that would either be the best thing for me or the worst. You need to look at the wider ramifications to your life and relationships.
Thanks mate - if anyone has any advice about it and aren't comfortable posting publically please shoot me a PM. A couple of blokes have already and I'm really appreciating the advice, thanks guys :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Anyone have any experience doing fly in fly out work?

I'd love to hear your thoughts preferably from a lifestyle perspective. How was the strain on your relationships? Did you feel like you were overworked? Where and what were your shifts.

I currently have a great job but I potentially will get an offer tomorrow and the money will be hard to say no to. But I worry about how I'll go being away from all friends and family only working for a month (0 tolerance drugs & alcohol site). Any experiences in the mines, oil rigs etc. I'd love to hear it.

I haven't personally, but my brother has (oil rigs off WA). From what I've heard it's really going to be a personality-based thing whether you can cope with the shifts - and avoid pissing up the money afterwards. Requires a strong personal ethic, and the right social group - if your friends have a binge-bust lifecycle it's unlikely to work out for you. He had the distinct advantage of not being in a relationship at the time, and our parents had gotten pretty used to that sort of thing with my gallivanting across the country/planet for years beforehand.

He also came back with a rather strong impression RE safety standards which led to him looking for different projects afterwards.

Really enjoyed that 2002 GF replay on Fox yesterday, forgot how good of a game it was. Late in the 3rd/early in the 4th it looked like Collingwood would win. Buckley was great in the 3rd and I can see why he won the NS considering it was judged at 3 qtr time.

Tarrant and especially Anthony Rocca (4 goals in a low scoring game) were really good too but they just had too many passengers in the forward line with Jarrad Molloy and Neon Leon Davis having particularly bad games. They never showed the angle on Rocca's shot early in the last but I understand there are people who are still filthy about it and insist it was a goal.

Jeez our backline was good at shutting them down in the clinches though. So many cool heads, did they feel pressure at all? Aker in particular stood up when it mattered not just with the winning goal but with his contested footy. Lynch a contested mark beast, strongest upper body of all time?

What I found interested is that even up by 8 or so with 5 minutes to go, we never put any extra players in our backline. Considering the great "flooding is ruining the game" debacle of 2000 this is a bit curious. Love/Hate the Channel 10 "Five minute warning" not knowing exactly how long left.

Last edited:

You can have a few after work in most camps. After working a 11 - 12 hour shift , a few beers and a good feed all most blokes want to do is sleep anyway. You are only there for the money - not the social life. Just dont show up to work hung over.

Really enjoyed that 2002 GF replay on Fox yesterday, forgot how good of a game it was. Late in the 3rd/early in the 4th it looked like Collingwood would win. Buckley was great in the 3rd and I can see why he won the NS considering it was judged at 3 qtr time.

Tarrant and especially Anthony Rocca (4 goals in a low scoring game) were really good too but they just had too many passengers in the forward line with Jarrad Molloy and Neon Leon Davis having particularly bad games. They never showed the angle on Rocca's shot early in the last but I understand there are people who are still filthy about it and insist it was a goal.

Jeez our backline was good at shutting them down in the clinches though. So many cool heads, did they feel pressure at all? Aker in particular stood up when it mattered not just with the winning goal but with his contested footy. Lynch a contested mark beast, strongest upper body of all time?

What I found interested is that even up by 8 or so with 5 minutes to go, we never put any extra players in our backline. Considering the great "flooding is ruining the game" debacle of 2000 this is a bit curious. Love/Hate the Channel 10 "Five minute warning" not knowing exactly how long left.
Don't listen to anyone who reckons Rocca was robbed. It missed.

Just make sure you have a plan in place for the extra money. I've got clients who put in place a plan before they leave and have come away reasonably set up for the rest of their lives. I've also seen others that have come to me afterwards and have spent all their money on toys and weeks away in Bali instead of going home and essentially have nothing to show for it.

If you are going to do this do it while you're young. I know a few family members who have worked the Pilbara and they all said they wish they done this when they were early 20s and still unattached. I personally could have went up there straight after high school but I just wasn't ready for such a big move and looking back now I do have some regrets, I could be a hell of a lot better off financially but it has all worked out better in the end for what I want in life. Even doing it a year or two can set you up for a long time if you have plans in place with the extra cash flow. It all depends on how you view the lifestyle Vs rewards.

Thanks for the advice all have a big decision to make in the coming days. Really appreciate what you all have to say!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a new coworker today. Just about the first thing he did was take out a little Lions flag and stick it up on the wall of his cubicle. I've hardly ever worked with a footy fan let alone a Lions fan!

Got a new coworker today. Just about the first thing he did was take out a little Lions flag and stick it up on the wall of his cubicle. I've hardly ever worked with a footy fan let alone a Lions fan!

Anybody owning up from here?

Once again, Frosty foils The Invisible Man.

Seriously though, he looks concussed, making an imaginary tackle much to Matho's dismay.

And to the amusement/disgust of that woman next to Matho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back