News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the further details that have come out, I am comfortable with everything. It's not ideal but we wouldn't have got the licence otherwise.

If this is actually adding to NMFC revenue it seems too good an offer to pass up, when the alternative is to sit around without a team.

Come on Kangas
In: "North Melbourne" In: Kimbo :thumbsu:

Why do people keep mentioning license with strings attached, caveats and so on? Strange.

We applied for a license as per the partnership, we (North) weren't forced to, rather thought best way to proceed and hold the license.

Did you read snraz's post?

Who's to say? The AFL Commission. And they were apparently pretty clear on that. Combine with Tasmania or don't bother coming back.

So we had a caveat applied to our entry. That nobody else has had attached to theirs.

Why is our entry conditional on doing what the AFL wants? I'd like to know details of what made the other bids superior to ours, that we had to incorporate Tasmania to placate the Commission.

This isn't an anti-Tasmanian thing, I'm sure some of you are nice people. More just an irritation and long standing suspicion about being treated differently and reminded that we are subservient.

I'd posit that we would not have been given a licence without the tasmanian connection.

The only club so far that has been required to partner with another state to be granted a licence.

Adelaide only got in because of their joint bid with NT Football -

So if our women’s jumper for tassie games says tassie kangaroos is this just the beginning of the permanent relocation of the NMFC? :flushed:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone who doesn't normally have a clue said on the radio tonight that the AFLW in 2019 will be structured into two conferences - 5 Victorian teams and 5 non-Victorian. We're on the non-Victorian side.

Does this mean we play 4 games in Tassie, 4 outside Melbourne and none in Melbourne?

Someone who doesn't normally have a clue said on the radio tonight that the AFLW in 2019 will be structured into two conferences - 5 Victorian teams and 5 non-Victorian. We're on the non-Victorian side.

Does this mean we play 4 games in Tassie, 4 outside Melbourne and none in Melbourne?
Doesn't make sense tbh. I'd suggest said person again doesn't have a clue.

Funny you say that.

My near 10yo daughter has played soccer for a few years but we chatted on way to school this morning.

Said she wants to play footy instead next year as might get to play for North (because i support them, has had no interest until now) and also play for where she lives.

Happy days :thumbsu:

Who cares what your daughter wants? Or North women in general?

What they want pales in comparison to to vague spectre of the possibility that a bunch of middle aged men on an Internet forum might be worried that their men's team might get relocated.

That's a genuine concern. Even if there is a 0.01% chance that having a women's team with a Tassie connection might mean that the AFL might try to send out men's team to Tassie then undoubtedly we should not have a women's team. Even if the women involved want it. Won't somebody think of the brand???

Oh and women's footy is s**t but at least they look hot in royal blue and white. Except for the fatties of course.

What they want pales in comparison to to vague spectre of the possibility that a bunch of middle aged men on an Internet forum might be worried that their men's team might get relocated.

That's a genuine concern. Even if there is a 0.01% chance that having a women's team with a Tassie connection might mean that the AFL might try to send out men's team to Tassie then undoubtedly we should not have a women's team. Even if the women involved want it. Won't somebody think of the brand???

Oh and women's footy is s**t but at least they look hot in royal blue and white. Except for the fatties of course.
There are some non negotiables in my eyes. The name The North Melbourne Football Club is one of them. Not against a Women's Side. Against the Idea of the Tassie Kangaroos. Against the idea of bastardising our brand. You can attempt to justify this 10 ways to Sunday but this Women's Side ain't the North Melbourne Football Club. By the admission of the CEO it's a joint venture. We have compromised even when the CEO is on record as suggesting that we would've got this license without the Tasmanian affiliation. :stern look

Regardless of my view and your own it is fair to suggest that this Side will not have the full support of our Membership and Suppoter Base. And as such the club have handled this poorly. The mixed response as evidenced in this thread highlights this. :stern look

There are some non negotiables in my eyes. The name The North Melbourne Football Club is one of them. Not against a Women's Side. Against the Idea of the Tassie Kangaroos. Against the idea of bastardising our brand. You can attempt to justify this 10 ways to Sunday but this Women's Side ain't the North Melbourne Football Club. By the admission of the CEO it's a joint venture. We have compromised even when the CEO is on record as suggesting that we would've got this license without the Tasmanian affiliation. :stern look

Regardless of my view and your own it is fair to suggest that this Side will not have the full support of our Membership and Suppoter Base. And as such the club have handled this poorly. The mixed response as evidenced in this thread highlights this. :stern look

I can't believe I selected "show ignored content" after reading that.

More fool me. Won't bother again.

I can't believe I selected "show ignored content" after reading that.

More fool me. Won't bother again.
LOL. The old "I have you on ignore but couldn't help myself and still read your post" response. Turn it up! Is that all you've got? Because I'm all for playing the game of belittling. :stern look

There may be 'ignored posts' I'm not seeing, but this reads as unnecessarily sarcastic and disrespectful.

Personally, yet again :confused:, I'm happy we're in, I'm happy the women (and girls) have a pathway to play, I'm pleased for those who worked hard to make this happen AND brand dilution (as a possible thin end of the wedge) bothers me. I don't appreciate having that view belittled.

I'm also astounded that some better posters have criticised anyone who isn't a full 100% in their support for this. This is probably the first time in my life I find myself sympathising with those who use the phrase 'political correctness'.

In: "North Melbourne" In: Kimbo :thumbsu:

League won't ever get to 18 teams due to talent dilution.

Eventually you'll see amalgamated sides from Victoria. Better to have a license now and be the north Melbourne tassie Roos rather than the Richmond Hawks ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back