"The Big Dance" and other Grand Final week cliches

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
How many times are we going to hear "The Big Dance" in the media this week?

One of my most hated footy expressions, but one trotted out hour after hour, day after day during this week.

Just call it a Grand Final, because that's what it is, you flogs.

What are some of the other Grand Final week cliches?

Last edited:

'Grand' Final is an expression pretty much confined to Australia. Every other sport seems to have quarter-finals, semi-finals and other variants - all leading up to 'The Final".

For some reason, here we decided to tack the word Grand onto it - dunno why, both AFL and NRL do it. I think the soccer over here did it too.

I like it. So, in one sense, I don't mind 'Grannie' - but I prefer 'Grand Final'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Grand' Final is an expression pretty much confined to Australia. Every other sport seems to have quarter-finals, semi-finals and other variants - all leading up to 'The Final".

For some reason, here we decided to tack the word Grand onto it - dunno why, both AFL and NRL do it. I think the soccer over here did it too.

I like it. So, in one sense, I don't mind 'Grannie' - but I prefer 'Grand Final'.

Yeah it's strange as even in the NBL it's called the finals and the Grand Final, as opposed to the more common basketball terms - playoffs and the final(s).

Soccer is the really strange one. Are there many other league in the world that has an actual finals series or do most just award the championship to the highest placed team?

Soccer is the really strange one. Are there many other league in the world that has an actual finals series or do most just award the championship to the highest placed team?

The States is probably the only other place they have a Finals series - again, because that is what they are used to in their sporting culture - like us.

Most soccer leagues have 2 competitions - a league table (highest place wins) and a Cup, where they can have their Big Final.

Yeah it's strange as even in the NBL it's called the finals and the Grand Final, as opposed to the more common basketball terms - playoffs and the final(s).

It's a grand final if you have preliminary finals or a preliminary final.
If it's just semi-finals to decide the two teams, that the final game is officially a 'final'.

It's a grand final if you have preliminary finals or a preliminary final.
If it's just semi-finals to decide the two teams, that the final game is officially a 'final'.
Ive always thought the naming of the qualifying and preliminary finals are arse about. The qualifying finals should be what qualify you for the grand final. The preliminary finals are what happens at the start, so should be week 1 along with elimination finals.

not really related to, but...

we have two semi finals, and the winners play in a preliminary final.

semis usually end in a final yes>

not really related to, but...

we have two semi finals, and the winners play in a preliminary final.

semis usually end in a final yes>

When we had a Final four (and Final 5) which lasted about 50 years, we had 2 semi finals, and the winner of one would play off against the loser of the other, because of the 'double chance' setup.

Which brings up another point - is there any other league where some sides earn second chances in case they actually lose a match in the finals series. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any, except those in Australia. (I know there are things like 'second round' pools at World Cups and so on, where you could lose a game, but still finish top 2 in your group and progress, but in those cases all teams in the groups get exactly the same chances - no team has earned a double chance over another).

Calling the Brownlow medal "Charlie".

Just horrible.

It's mainly the media that try so hard to use the "Charlie" word. Eg, taking Charlie home.

Since the medal started people call it the Brownlow Medal or simply the Brownlow. Think about all the dud ussions people have about the Brownlow, who the hell calls it Charlie? Sounds so cringeworthy .

But no, needy media types pretending with some hipster duffs name. Horrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back