AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see a Father/Daughter and Mother/Son rule in play at some point. It'd also be nice to stop the cringeworthy "hope it's a son!" every time a player has a kid.

Best of luck to her, by the way.
Father-Daughter rule exists, 1 game for the father in the AFL.
Mother-daughter/son rules are yet to be worked out afaik. Mainly because only 8 games have been played so far.

Abbey McKay is looking to be the first Father-Daughter pickup in the 2020 draft, daughter of Carlton's Andrew McKay, she was at the AFLW initial team announcement in 2016 wearing the blues guernsey when she was 15.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...th-a-fatherdaughter-hope-20160615-gpjdlm.html

Much rather we spent the money on the vfl team. Very important we have them firing on all cylinders for finals next year

The VFL team will be having the AFL team firing on all cylinders - in the AFLW.

Go Catters

I remember when I was about 8, I decided that I wanted to be a footy player when I grew up. However, it dawned on me that there were no girls in the afl teams, so I quickly hatched a cunning plan where I would pretend to be a boy, and thus I would fulfil my dream of playing footy for the Cats. Of course, I was told by those bigger and older than I was, that that would not work and alas, my plan was foiled.

Now, it might be too late for 8 year old me but I am so glad that now, little girls can watch the mighty Cats and say "I want to be a footy player when I grow up" and actually be able to do that. They now have footy players that they can look up to that are just like them, they don't have to pretend to be anything they're not, and if they want to play footy then they can. The 8 year old in me is incredibly overjoyed by this news :)

Now, it might be too late for 8 year old me but I am so glad that now, little girls can watch the mighty Cats and say "I want to be a footy player when I grow up" and actually be able to do that. They now have footy players that they can look up to that are just like them, they don't have to pretend to be anything they're not, and if they want to play footy then they can. The 8 year old in me is incredibly overjoyed by this news :)
That's a bit priceless.

Go the hand bags.
e6957fad-6c81-4561-8599-0bbe1a31cf8f.gif

Congrats to Teague on her selection in today's AFLW Rookie Draft:

Former basketballer Anna Teague played her first season of football for Geelong this year in the VFLW, and will join fellow Cats Lily Mithen and Richelle Cranston at Melbourne in the AFLW.

While I wish her all the best for her season with Melbourne, I hope that we get her back for our inaugural AFLW team in 12 months time

2017 NAB AFL Women's Rookie Draft

1. GWS – Haneen Zreika, Auburn Giants, u21
2. Fremantle – Lisa Webb, Coastal Titans, other sport
3. Western Bulldogs – Naomi Ferris, VU Western Spurs, u21
4. Collingwood – Holly Whitfort, Cranbourne, u21
5. Carlton – Tiahna Cochrane, Bendigo Thunder, u21
6. Melbourne – Anna Teague, Geelong, other sport
7. Brisbane – Gabby Collingwood, University of Queensland, u21
8. Adelaide – Calista Boyd, Wanderers, u21
9. GWS – Tait Mackril, Adelaide University, u21
10. Fremantle – Jade De Melo, East Fremantle, other sport
11. Western Bulldogs – Bonnie Toogood, Mornington, other/u21
12. Carlton – Katie-Jayne Grieve, South Bunbury, other/u21
13. Melbourne – Maddie Shevlin, Gungahlin Jets, u21
14. Brisbane – Molly Ritson, Bond University, u21
15. Adelaide – Brianna Walling, Morphettville Park, u21
16. Fremantle – Beatrice Devlyn, South Fremantle, u21
17. Carlton – Courtney Webb, Launceston, u21
18. Brisbane – Krystal Scott, Bond University, other sport
19. Fremantle – Tayla McAuliffe, Swan Districts, u21 – Kirby Bentley long-term injury replacement

Congrats to Teague on her selection in today's AFLW Rookie Draft:

Former basketballer Anna Teague played her first season of football for Geelong this year in the VFLW, and will join fellow Cats Lily Mithen and Richelle Cranston at Melbourne in the AFLW.

While I wish her all the best for her season with Melbourne, I hope that we get her back for our inaugural AFLW team in 12 months time

2017 NAB AFL Women's Rookie Draft

1. GWS – Haneen Zreika, Auburn Giants, u21
2. Fremantle – Lisa Webb, Coastal Titans, other sport
3. Western Bulldogs – Naomi Ferris, VU Western Spurs, u21
4. Collingwood – Holly Whitfort, Cranbourne, u21
5. Carlton – Tiahna Cochrane, Bendigo Thunder, u21
6. Melbourne – Anna Teague, Geelong, other sport
7. Brisbane – Gabby Collingwood, University of Queensland, u21
8. Adelaide – Calista Boyd, Wanderers, u21
9. GWS – Tait Mackril, Adelaide University, u21
10. Fremantle – Jade De Melo, East Fremantle, other sport
11. Western Bulldogs – Bonnie Toogood, Mornington, other/u21
12. Carlton – Katie-Jayne Grieve, South Bunbury, other/u21
13. Melbourne – Maddie Shevlin, Gungahlin Jets, u21
14. Brisbane – Molly Ritson, Bond University, u21
15. Adelaide – Brianna Walling, Morphettville Park, u21
16. Fremantle – Beatrice Devlyn, South Fremantle, u21
17. Carlton – Courtney Webb, Launceston, u21
18. Brisbane – Krystal Scott, Bond University, other sport
19. Fremantle – Tayla McAuliffe, Swan Districts, u21 – Kirby Bentley long-term injury replacement

She also joins Erin Hoare at Melbourne too after Erin was given a spot on the rookie list earlier in the year.

She also joins Erin Hoare at Melbourne too after Erin was given a spot on the rookie list earlier in the year.
Thank you - I couldn't remember which team Erin went.

That's got to be a help in a way to go to a team where you already know a few others and you're not just the new girl

The Geelong Cats continue to strengthen their women’s football program with the appointment of Simone Bellears as Women’s Football Strategy and Pathways Manager. Simone moves into the role after spending the past two years as the Cats Academy Pathway manager.

The role is responsible for leading and cohesively integrating Women’s Football Programs in line with club values across the organisation. This includes leading the execution of the AFLW preparation strategy across the club, with the Cats set to enter the AFLW in 2019.

http://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-11-20/bellears-takes-on-key-womens-role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that this is Geelong or AFLW related, still thought it was pretty interesting regardless....

AFL Victoria is pleased to announce the new clubs entering the Swisse Wellness VFL Women’s competition for 2018.

Six VFL Women’s licences have this week been granted for the 2018 season, with Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, St Kilda (AFL) and Williamstown to join the competition next year, while the VU Western Spurs will be known as the Western Bulldogs and will wear the red, white and blue in a strengthening of the two clubs’ relationship.

Seaford will transfer its licence to St Kilda (AFL), with the Saints to partner with the Frankston Football Club to form the Southern Saints, while Casey Demons will also form part of the expanded competition after Cranbourne transferred its licence to Casey in August.

http://vfl.com.au/news-clubs-enter-vfl-womens/

The fixtures for next year's VFL and VFLW seasons will be announced in mid-December.

Just read in the Geelong Advertiser AFL Barwon had a "Girls try Footy" day on Saturday and were expecting about 100-150 girls to show up. They ended up with over 240 - some of whom had played juniors in the past but had to give it up as they couldn't progress further, but others were from different sports who were giving footy a try.

AFL Barwon are looking at setting up a women's competition with 12 senior teams signed up already.

Just wondering atm how many Geelong teams I should be supporting

3, right? AFL, VFL, VFLW with AFLW to come in 2019?

5 if you include the Geelong Falcons and the Falcons' girl's team. ;)

5 if you include the Geelong Falcons and the Falcons' girl's team. ;)
My mates daughter made the Falcons squad. She'll go higher I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back