• Noah Balta

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Aiden Bonar

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson.
Yep hes my preference but given how he played in the curtain raiser and considering how richmond have just won the flag with a team of speed merchants no way he lasts to 5.
Agree on coffield as the next option,also looks pretty darn good ,again tho could go early after that still a big fan of fogarty the darcy variety

last year and this year...a tenacious skilful tackling running side gets the job done. More convinced than ever we are two or three short of vg inside mids. Again also those sides using the old fashioned - a forward and back centreman Dusty c&f and Cotchin c&b.

very skilled, fast by hand and foot, and leg powerful inside mids Dow Uniacke Coffield Constable, Stephenson and later one of Shipley, Starcevich and Patmore. If we get a second rounder somehow both 1st and second on them. No to Cerra and Rayner gone 1 or 2 so should be in the hunt re pick 5. Next year Carter and Hill continue the speedy outsiders

edit forgot Brayshaw among others

If Melbourne said Pick 5 and 2018 1st rounder for Hogan..... has you answer changed in the past few hours?

Riewoldt played an OK game. Brought the ball to ground, halfed the contests he got to. Kicked a few goals. I feel like if Tabs keeping developing he could do that. Not the A grade forward but enough to give us a functioning forward line.

If Melbourne said Pick 5 and 2018 1st rounder for Hogan..... has you answer changed in the past few hours?

Riewoldt played an OK game. Brought the ball to ground, halfed the contests he got to. Kicked a few goals. I feel like if Tabs keeping developing he could do that. Not the A grade forward but enough to give us a functioning forward line.

Riewoldt didn't play the traditional KF role that say a Hawkins, JK or Hogan would and was quite clever in his involvement building pressure on the defenders by not only getting into dangerous positions but closing down space. He's a very smart player and very mobile. I don't think Tabs could ever fill that sort of role effectively but if McCarthy realises his potential, he could.

But could you imagine this board if we went into Rd 1 with McCarthy as our only tall forward?

Riewoldt didn't play the traditional KF role that say a Hawkins, JK or Hogan would and was quite clever in his involvement building pressure on the defenders by not only getting into dangerous positions but closing down space. He's a very smart player and very mobile. I don't think Tabs could ever fill that sort of role effectively but if McCarthy realises his potential, he could.

But could you imagine this board if we went into Rd 1 with McCarthy as our only tall forward?
Get rid of this playing two slow ruck concept, the team will play better.

We went into round 1 this year with McCarthy as our only tall forward.

Kersten?

Plus I'm pretty sure we had two rucks, one of which played forward at times.

Kersten is shorter than most of our midfielders, he's not really a tall forward in any sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kersten is shorter than most of our midfielders, he's not really a tall forward in any sense.

Pretty sure there's only a cm between Kerstin and McCarthy and Kerstin is definitely a tall forward. I've never seen him described as anything else. We also had Griff forward at times so that's 2 with a 3rd at times.

You're clutching at straws and totally missing the point. Richmond played with only 1 tall forward today and that tall forward is McCarthy's height. They also didn't have a second ruck. My point stands.

Pretty sure there's only a cm between Kerstin and McCarthy and Kerstin is definitely a tall forward. I've never seen him described as anything else. We also had Griff forward at times so that's 2 with a 3rd at times.

You're clutching at straws and totally missing the point. Richmond played with only 1 tall forward today and that tall forward is McCarthy's height. They also didn't have a second ruck. My point stands.

Just because he's a forward doesn't make him a tall forward. He's 191cm, that's not tall in anyone's book.

What is your point that stands exactly? That people wouldn't be happy if we went in with McCarthy as our only tall forward?

We did that this year and it was s**t. Our forward line was s**t and looked much better when we picked Taberner. It would be nice to have a fleet of mids who kick 30 goals a year like Richmond do, but we don't.

Richmond's game plan is nothing like ours. We don't play anyone in the forward line most of the time.

Richmond won a premiership with 1 tall forward so Ross Lyon's inability to pick a team that can score goals makes him a genius according to those on this board who thinks the sun shines out of Ross Lyon's arse. Literally everything proves Ross Lyon is a genius to you guys.

Last edited:
I doubt having a small or tall forward line made the difference. Adelaide where out contested and they didn't have plan B. They wanted more time than was available because of the pressure around the ground and they we're out numbered at the contest when they were forced to kick down the line. they also did what we do, left loose men outside the contest and then got smashed on the spread. immho

Hawthorn didn't need Franklin ?
no. they won flags without him. Buddy is a freak anyway. He's like best player in the competition freaky who just happens to be really tall.
What really got me about Richmond was they brought the same pressure & intensity Freo had in 2013 but they had players forward of the ball for the fast break always. We never do so we always have to hold it up.
As for the kids today I loved what I saw from Uniake.

Have followed you on this line the last week and agree... it played out today. But there were other contributing factors too I suggest to make it work.

Yep hes my preference but given how he played in the curtain raiser and considering how richmond have just won the flag with a team of speed merchants no way he lasts to 5.
Agree on coffield as the next option,also looks pretty darn good ,again tho could go early after that still a big fan of fogarty the darcy variety
Thats fine we can just settle for rayner then ;)

no. they won flags without him. Buddy is a freak anyway. He's like best player in the competition freaky who just happens to be really tall.
What really got me about Richmond was they brought the same pressure & intensity Freo had in 2013 but they had players forward of the ball for the fast break always. We never do so we always have to hold it up.
As for the kids today I loved what I saw from Uniake.

Right on the button...they ran, noticeably quicker, and relentless pressure by whle team. I think I recall Dimma being impressed and liking Freo's game pressure back then too and wanting to emulate it. Gone better than we did. Davies Uniacke would be great for us. agree

Back